New combined vaccine

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

New combined vaccine

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

I am very grateful to scientists who are continuing to develop more advanced protection for all of us from covid and it's variants. I believe that those involved have the benefit of all humanity at the heart of their work. How fortunate we are to have such gifted people striving for our lives to be saved, along with all the medical experts?

Yet so many people just cannot accept this. They refuse vaccination and find fault with things of which they have no knowledge. Yes science does sometimes go wrong, bad things do happen as cures and preventives are worked on. This is the risk we cannot avoid in the interests of progress But overall great benefit is achieved in medical science.

I place my trust in both science and God. There is no clash in that in my mind. God created us as creative beings able to solve problems.

So I am ready for my fourth vaccine and continue to take the flu one. At my age I choose to trust in those who are the experts.

Tcg
Savant

Re: New combined vaccine

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:01 am
So I am ready for my fourth vaccine and continue to take the flu one. At my age I choose to trust in those who are the experts.
Yes, and those experts are not God. Pretending for a moment that God exists, he/it has remained oddly silent and inactive in the whole affair just as he has for... well forever.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #3

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #2]

God is active. He gave humans brains to use.

Tcg
Savant

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:04 am [Replying to Tcg in post #2]

"He gave" is past tense. So, this totally unsupported claim wouldn't support your assertion even if it were true and you've provided no reason to believe that it is.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Clownboat
Savant

Post #5

Post by Clownboat »

Rose2020 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:04 am [Replying to Tcg in post #2]

One claim does not follow from the other claim. Also, claims are just that. What claims are not, is evidence.

Which of the available god concepts do you claim gave humans brains anyway? Just currious.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #6

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Clownboat in post #5]

I do not know any clever concepts. All I have is common sense. God always gives us the tools and means we need, if we ask for help in prayer. If we understand and can see that He is helping us, the rest is our work.
All that we need is here, to solve problems.

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:53 pm God always gives us the tools and means we need, if we ask for help in prayer.
What absolute cure for all forms of cancer has God given us or would you suggest no one has ever prayed for such a thing? And by the way, I know of at least four people who have indeed prayed for this. One of which was my late niece who died at age 21 after suffering from leukemia for 18 years. The other three were her parents and me. Oh, wait both sets of grandparents also did and her church, my church, her grandparents churches... so hundreds if not thousands of people.

Undoubtedly millions have prayed for the total eradication of COVID-19 and related viruses. It hasn't yet and perhaps never will happen. Is God on vacation? If so, it ain't great timing.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #8

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #7]

Great progress has been made in all diseases. People survive cancers and infections now that they didn't a century ago.
As for how long each of us lives, that is God's will, because He is God. Railing against Him is foolish and futile. We can pray and hope, use the minds and resources He has provided. The rest is about faith.

Tcg
Savant

Post #9

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:21 am [Replying to Tcg in post #7]

Great progress has been made in all diseases. People survive cancers and infections now that they didn't a century ago.
My niece didn't die a century ago.
As for how long each of us lives, that is God's will, because He is God. Railing against Him is foolish and futile. We can pray and hope, use the minds and resources He has provided. The rest is about faith.
I didn't "rail against God." I described an actual situation and asked you based on this real life, or rather death, story to support your claim that God answers prayer. Additionally, and as I have pointed out repeatedly, you've provided no evidence that God has provided anything. Most specifically, you've provided zero evidence that God has done anything to help resolve the COVID-19 crisis. This is after all a debate subforum where evidence to support claims is expected. What evidence have you?

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Clownboat
Savant

Post #10

Post by Clownboat »

Rose2020 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:21 am [Replying to Tcg in post #7]

What an odd and long winded way of admitting you were not being honest with your claim.
"God always gives us the tools and means we need, if we ask for help in prayer."

Careful, as most of us here have heard who comes to deceive. Dishonesty, even for Jesus should be frowned upon IMO. Be careful in repeating empty religious platitudes like the one above. They will not go unnoticed and most of us here have first hand knowledge to the contrary.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb