Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Diogenes
Guru

Coffee - something we can REALLY argue about

Post #1

Post by Diogenes »

My Coffee station.
I've brewed coffee in a dozen different ways, from Melita cone pour over, to Aero Press; vacuum pot and cowboy.
I've burned out several coffee roasters. Currently I grind the beans in a DF-64 and use a Flair Pro-2 lever actuated espresso maker, frequently using the shot to make an Americano. This is the best way to make coffee. :)

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

Tcg
Savant

Re: Coffee - something we can REALLY argue about

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to Diogenes in post #1]

There was a small coffee shop in my former hometown where the owners would roast beans on site, and I used to love that smell. I can understand why you'd enjoy that activity. They had a whiteboard with that day's coffee choices. It was a joy to try coffee from other countries and a variety of strong to mild brews.

For whatever reason my body is very sensitive to caffeine and oddly especially that from coffee. If I skipped my morning coffee, by mid-morning I'd have an excruciating headache that wouldn't go away even if I drank coffee. I didn't like being dependent on something especially because of the price I'd pay if I forgot it, so I gave it up. I still love the smell of beans when they're roasting though!

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Diogenes
Guru

Post #3

Post by Diogenes »

Tcg wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:23 pm [Replying to Diogenes in post #1]

There was a small coffee shop in my former hometown where the owners would roast beans on site, and I used to love that smell. I can understand why you'd enjoy that activity. They had a whiteboard with that day's coffee choices. It was a joy to try coffee from other countries and a variety of strong to mild brews.

For whatever reason my body is very sensitive to caffeine and oddly especially that from coffee. If I skipped my morning coffee, by mid-morning I'd have an excruciating headache that wouldn't go away even if I drank coffee. I didn't like being dependent on something especially because of the price I'd pay if I forgot it, so I gave it up. I still love the smell of beans when they're roasting though!
I relate to all you said. Dunno why now I don't get a headache if I don't have coffee... rarely have more than one cup. I never order coffee in a restaurant - only drink my own. But since I started making true espresso I'm drinking more now. Not sure why. I often use a shot to make an Americano, which I drink black with a meal. But a shot of espresso requires cream and sugar.

I like the lever method - very simple. Only trouble is you need a very high quality grinder, about $200 for a manual or $500 for a good electric like a DF-64.

Different subject: For an upset stomach or hangover: peppermint tea. That's my morning drink now. Not saying I'm hungover every morning, but . . . :)

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

Tcg
Savant

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to Diogenes in post #3]

I keep hearing good things about peppermint teat but haven't tried it. Sounds like I should.

I never fully understood exactly what all the machinery the coffee shop I used to frequent utilized, but it was a rather large enterprise. It almost looked like a small brewery although I'm sure it didn't function anything like one.

I'm glad you can enjoy coffee without experiencing headaches. They were brutal.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by Difflugia »

Tcg wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:23 pmFor whatever reason my body is very sensitive to caffeine and oddly especially that from coffee. If I skipped my morning coffee, by mid-morning I'd have an excruciating headache that wouldn't go away even if I drank coffee. I didn't like being dependent on something especially because of the price I'd pay if I forgot it, so I gave it up. I still love the smell of beans when they're roasting though!
I have the same problem with caffeine, but I'm a tea drinker. If I drink caffeinated things sporadically, I can't sleep, so I make sure I have one every morning. Like you, I decided that the alternative was giving it up, but unlike you, I decided that the dependency was worth getting to drink it.

I live driving distance from Chicago's Chinatown and I have to set myself a budget before I go. Otherwise, I'll buy one of each that I haven't tried yet. Believe it or not, there are a lot of different teas in China.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Sallymilr

Post #6

Post by Sallymilr »

It sounds like you have a lot of experience and passion for coffee! Using a lever-actuated espresso maker like the Flair Pro-2 can certainly produce a high-quality shot, and turning it into an Americano is a great way to enjoy the full flavor of the espresso while still having a larger drink. Go here https://sweetandsavorymeals.com for more coffee recipes and keep experimenting and enjoying.