What happened in the Tomb?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

What happened in the Tomb?

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

This is a question for those who believe, if we take that as given.
Jesus was dead, his body utterly damaged.
This is conjecture but what processes could have occurred in that tomb from the moment the stone was rolled over blocking the entrance? Friday afternoon until Sunday morning huge events went on in the gloomy darkness. I imagine angels got very very busy. Repair or replacement work had to be done fast, as an earthly body was prepared.

I wonder if there have been any books, theories or explanations. We have a lot of facts and clues that need putting together. The body Jesus was seen in afterwards was not instantly recognisable as Him, until He spoke and confirmed it to those who saw Him - such as on the road to Emmaus. Mary didn't know Him until he spoke. This bears out that fact that our voices do not change even if we transform our physical appearance. A voice is unique. This has implications. No trace of him was found in there, his shroud was empty and neatly folded.

Did He descend to hell and up again? This was a metamorphosis such as happens to butterfly puppae. Inside that hard shell that seems dead, a beautiful new body is being constructed, from the old body.

So let's have a think, put forward your theories, based on what is known.

Tcg
Savant

Re: What happened in the Tomb?

Post #11

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:27 am [Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #9]

My apologies, I did need to read your reply again
So He had possibly several new bodies. This is indicated as He was not recognized until He spoke and identified himself.
Jesus had several new bodies? What does this even mean. That he could pick and choose which one he wanted to wear on a given day or that there were many different Jesus bodies walking around at the same time? In any case what is the biblical support of either idea?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Miles
Savant

Post #12

Post by Miles »

Rose2020 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:09 am [Replying to Miles in post #5]

Jesus appeared physically to the disciples and ate and drank with them. He cooked breakfast for disciples who were fishing. Thomas doubted, so was invited to touch His scars. Hundreds saw Him. He was not a ghostly spirit. On the road to Emmaus He was flesh and blood, who ate with the two who invited Him into their home.

He was and is real.
If Jesus never went through any of the processes involved in death, particularly those I listed as happening within the first 72 hours; autolysis, then how can it be said he died?

Last edited by Miles on Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #13

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Tcg wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:33 pm
Rose2020 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:27 am [Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #9]

So He had possibly several new bodies. This is indicated as He was not recognized until He spoke and identified himself.
Jesus had several new bodies? What does this even mean.

It means that evidently the resurrected Christ did not have the same appearance as before his death and that on at least two occassions (possibly more) his appearanced had changed from one encounter to the other.

Tcg wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:33 pm ...were many different Jesus bodies walking around at the same time?
No, bodies do not exist as animated entities seperate from the person , and there is only one Jesus so there would be no reason for Jesus to have have more than one body at any given time.

Tcg wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:33 pm In any case what is the biblical support of either idea?

See Roses comment above.

JW

RELATED POSTS

Did Jesus post resurrection body carry the wounds inflicted on it during his execution ?
viewtopic.php?p=967900#p967900

Why did Jesus' disciples not recognise him after his resurrection?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 49#p967749

To learn more please go toother posts related to...

JESUS RESURRECTION , RESSURECTION CHRONOLOGY and ....THE RANSOM
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #14

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #11]

Possibly.
We can only guess because people did not recognise Him. I have no idea why he didn't look familiar. They knew him once he spoke, then they were sure - that was when some such as Doubting Thomas saw His wounds.
I am as curious as anyone and have no real answer.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #15

Rose2020 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:59 am [Replying to Tcg in post #11]

Possibly.
We can only guess because people did not recognise Him. I have no idea why he didn't look familiar. They knew him once he spoke, then they were sure - that was when some such as Doubting Thomas saw His wounds.
I am as curious as anyone and have no real answer.
I think Jesus changed bodies /appearances so his disciples could begin to grasp that he was no longer human. This idea of a man dying and coming back as a completely different lifeform was totally foreign to their theology, they probably needed help to grasp this idea.

They must have understood the existence of spirits ( indeed the God they worshipped was one) but that a man could die a human and be raised a spirit was hard ... even some Christians today struggle with the idea believing Jesus was raised a human and then "changed" to being ... "transformed" human. That he was not a human at all after his death is hard for some to get their heads around.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #16

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #15]

I have a question. When Jesus allowed Doubting Thomas to check that it really was Him, Thomas actually felt the wounds and Jesus are and drank with the Disciples. He proved He was not a spirit.

Luke 24 verse 39.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #17

Rose2020 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:06 pm [Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #15]

I have a question. When Jesus allowed Doubting Thomas to check that it really was Him, Thomas actually felt the wounds and Jesus are and drank with the Disciples. He proved He was not a spirit.

Luke 24 verse 39.
Do you not know that spirits can "materialize" ie take on human form? What did you make of all those bible accounts of angelic visitations in the Hebrew bible ?

Who or rather what were the three "men" that Abraham served in Genesis chapter 18? (Compare Judges chapter 13)

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #18

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #17]

You have a point but Jesus himself is saying He is not a spirit in that verse. He is flesh and blood.
I do not fully understand but I take scripture as it is.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #19

Rose2020 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:27 pm [Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #17]

You have a point but Jesus himself is saying He is not a spirit in that verse. He is flesh and blood.
I do not fully understand but I take scripture as it is.
Ok so what do you learn from the Genesis account of Abraham eating with angels. Try and write'it in a sentence and then write a second sentence about what that might mean regarding the risen Christ appearing in the flesh. Maybe if you wrote it out like in school you will be able to make a connection and come to a conclusion without being told by anyone.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #20

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #19]

Well yes you could be right. The angels did appear as men who ate and drank with Abraham and Sarah.
It is confusing.