Dinosaur tracks in the Paluxy riverbed.

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

Dinosaur tracks in the Paluxy riverbed.

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

The Paluxy River in Glen Rose, Texas has dried to the point of revealing dinosaur tracks, again. This time apparently to the point that previously undiscovered tracks have been found. This caught my attention because in the 1930s, some creationists claimed that human tracks were found there in the same rock level as dinosaur tracks. It was later determined that they weren't human tracks and there was some evidence that the tracks may have been modified to more closely resemble human tracks.

This article provides some of the issues:
Paluxy Man -- The Creationist Piltdown

Creationists, by citing examples of fossils that are supposed to be in the wrong order for evolution, often try to prove that the geological time scale is in error. In particular, they claim that human footprints have been found in rocks containing traces of dinosaurs and other animals that died out millions of years before humans actually appeared on the earth. As we shall see, however, these alleged footprints are either natural objects that have nothing to do with humans or are deliberate frauds. On the whole, the leading creationist authors are intelligent and sincere, but it seems that they have a very strong will to believe when it comes to defending their model.

https://ncse.ngo/paluxy-man-creationist-piltdown
The Piltdown Man is often presented as a reason to mistrust science, but are there any scientists today who don't accept that it was a fraud?

Are there any creationists today who still accept the human footprint claim and if so, what does that say about science's ability to correct and reject false claims compared to the creationist approach?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

AquinasForGod
Sage

Re: Dinosaur tracks in the Paluxy riverbed.

Post #61

Post by AquinasForGod »

[Replying to Tcg in post #1]

I hope no one believes this anymore.

Tcg
Savant

Post #62

Post by Tcg »

AquinasForGod wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:42 am [Replying to Tcg in post #1]

I hope no one believes this anymore.
Here's an excerpt from an Oct 2022 article that reveals some still do:
Kolbe Report 10/15/22

It is a shame that even within the ranks of those who believe in the literal historical truth of the sacred history of Genesis the Paluxy footprints are often dismissed as fakes or as misinterpretations of dinosaur footprints by ignorant amateurs. As Ademar Rakowsky has demonstrated in this excerpt from his article on the Paluxy footprints—and even more elaborately and persuasively in the complete article just posted on the Kolbe website—the Paluxy tracks provide proof, beyond any reasonable doubt, that dinosaurs and humans have always lived (and died) together on earth.

Yours in Christ through the Immaculata in union with St. Joseph,

Hugh Owen

https://www.kolbecenter.org/kolbe-report-10-15-22/
About the Kolbe center:

The Kolbe Center for the Study of Creation is a Roman Catholic lay apostolate dedicated to glorifying the Most Holy Trinity by proclaiming the truth about the origins of man and the universe. The Kolbe Center seeks to educate the public, particularly within the Catholic Church, in the truth of creation as revealed in Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition and as confirmed by the findings of modern science. With the help of experts in the fields of theology, philosophy, and natural science, the Kolbe Center also seeks to show the superiority of special creation over all forms of molecules-to-man evolution as an explanation of the origins of man and the universe.

https://www.kolbecenter.org/about/

<bolding mine>

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

AquinasForGod
Sage

Post #63

Post by AquinasForGod »

[Replying to Tcg in post #62]

Owen is a Catholic, although layman as he says. I still find it hard to believe he buys into the human foot-prints with dinosaurs. But, it is allowed by the church to believe animals were directly created by God, but more are moving toward evolution, especially Catholic biologists.

Tcg
Savant

Post #64

Post by Tcg »

AquinasForGod wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:38 pm [Replying to Tcg in post #62]

Owen is a Catholic, although layman as he says. I still find it hard to believe he buys into the human foot-prints with dinosaurs.
Why? Here is a direct quote of Owen's from the article I referenced earlier:
"the Paluxy tracks provide proof, beyond any reasonable doubt, that dinosaurs and humans have always lived (and died) together on earth."
There's nothing unclear here.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

AquinasForGod
Sage

Post #65

Post by AquinasForGod »

Tcg wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:09 am

Owen is a Catholic, although layman as he says. I still find it hard to believe he buys into the human foot-prints with dinosaurs.
"the Paluxy tracks provide proof, beyond any reasonable doubt, that dinosaurs and humans have always lived (and died) together on earth."

Tcg
You misunderstood me. I know he believes it. I am saying, I find it hard to believe he does, meaning I am amazed that he believes this.

brunumb
Savant

Post #66

Post by brunumb »

AquinasForGod wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:18 pm I know he believes it. I am saying, I find it hard to believe he does, meaning I am amazed that he believes this.
Now you know how I feel about Christianity. :)
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

AquinasForGod
Sage

Post #67

Post by AquinasForGod »

brunumb wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:49 pm
AquinasForGod wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:18 pm I know he believes it. I am saying, I find it hard to believe he does, meaning I am amazed that he believes this.
And how I feel about atheism. That was productive, now was it not?

brunumb
Savant

Post #68

Post by brunumb »

AquinasForGod wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:27 pm
brunumb wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:49 pm
And how I feel about atheism. That was productive, now was it not?
Except that atheism is not a belief. Perhaps your response should have been something like "that's how I feel about not believing in Christianity". Anyway, sorry to disappoint you but my comment was not meant to be "productive".
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Tcg
Savant

Post #69

Post by Tcg »

AquinasForGod wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:18 pm
Tcg wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:09 am

Tcg
You misunderstood me. I know he believes it. I am saying, I find it hard to believe he does, meaning I am amazed that he believes this.
I don't know why. Whenever one concludes that the mythologies found in the Bible, especially the early ones, are meant to be taken as literal events, then they may very well accept perfectly unverifiable "evidence" to support them. It's not surprising that someone who thinks the earth is some 6,000 years old would grasp at straws to find something to support that belief.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

AquinasForGod
Sage

Post #70

Post by AquinasForGod »

[Replying to Tcg in post #69]

Catholic early church fathers did not all take the stories literally. Even Augustine said that the 6 days of creation are not literal days. He did not try to explain what it meant, though. He said it is a mystery. So that was in 300ad that he said there was not a literal 6 day creation.