Dinosaur tracks in the Paluxy riverbed.

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

Dinosaur tracks in the Paluxy riverbed.

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

The Paluxy River in Glen Rose, Texas has dried to the point of revealing dinosaur tracks, again. This time apparently to the point that previously undiscovered tracks have been found. This caught my attention because in the 1930s, some creationists claimed that human tracks were found there in the same rock level as dinosaur tracks. It was later determined that they weren't human tracks and there was some evidence that the tracks may have been modified to more closely resemble human tracks.

This article provides some of the issues:
Paluxy Man -- The Creationist Piltdown

Creationists, by citing examples of fossils that are supposed to be in the wrong order for evolution, often try to prove that the geological time scale is in error. In particular, they claim that human footprints have been found in rocks containing traces of dinosaurs and other animals that died out millions of years before humans actually appeared on the earth. As we shall see, however, these alleged footprints are either natural objects that have nothing to do with humans or are deliberate frauds. On the whole, the leading creationist authors are intelligent and sincere, but it seems that they have a very strong will to believe when it comes to defending their model.

https://ncse.ngo/paluxy-man-creationist-piltdown
The Piltdown Man is often presented as a reason to mistrust science, but are there any scientists today who don't accept that it was a fraud?

Are there any creationists today who still accept the human footprint claim and if so, what does that say about science's ability to correct and reject false claims compared to the creationist approach?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Jose Fly
Guru

Re: Dinosaur tracks in the Paluxy riverbed.

Post #81

Post by Jose Fly »

The Barbarian wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:49 am
Hey Barb, just thought you'd like to know that Stripe over at ToL is telling folks that you died of COVID.

Long live The Barbarian!! :)
Being apathetic is great....or not. I don't really care.

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #82

Post by The Barbarian »

Jose Fly wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:32 pm
The Barbarian wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:49 am
Hey Barb, just thought you'd like to know that Stripe over at ToL is telling folks that you died of COVID.
Long live The Barbarian!! :)
I suppose that I'll be living in his pointy little head forever. O:) Thanks for making my day.

Edit: I went back and took a look. I forgot how ... uh ... colorful some of those guys can be.

AquinasForGod
Sage

Post #83

Post by AquinasForGod »

Clownboat wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:27 am
AquinasForGod wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:30 pm I am not sure who is, but I am not claiming God wrote the bible. That would be an odd thing to believe.
It is not logical that an all powerful and all knowing God would inspire the writing of a book with a message for everyone, only to then require pastors, priests and theologicans to properly interpret said message.

Surely you agree? If not, why build in a mechanism that has led us to Momonism, Jehovah Witnesses, Southern Baptists, TBN, etc? A bunch of contradictions and heresies as you claim.

If only the message was clear...
That is not what caused Mormonism and the like. Leaving the tradition is what caused that. Going by bible only is what caused that. No matter how well a book is written, even our American Law, we need learned men to interpret it correctly, otherwise we get nonsense.

brunumb
Savant

Post #84

Post by brunumb »

AquinasForGod wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:59 pm No matter how well a book is written, even our American Law, we need learned men to interpret it correctly, otherwise we get nonsense.
Even with a book allegedly inspired by God himself? It seems that it has nevertheless given us loads of nonsense, and that coming from the multitude of learned men doing their interpreting. Now we need super-learned men to reinterpret the previous interpretations to sort out the real nonsense from the apparent nonsense. The bottom line is that it's all just pure nonsense with no God necessary.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #85

Post by JoeyKnothead »

AquinasForGod wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:59 pm That is not what caused Mormonism and the like. Leaving the tradition is what caused that. Going by bible only is what caused that. No matter how well a book is written, even our American Law, we need learned men to interpret it correctly, otherwise we get nonsense.
Well dangitall. If only learned men woulda writen it, we wouldn't be in this mess.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Clownboat
Savant

Post #86

Post by Clownboat »

AquinasForGod wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:59 pm That is not what caused Mormonism and the like. Leaving the tradition is what caused that. Going by bible only is what caused that. No matter how well a book is written, even our American Law, we need learned men to interpret it correctly, otherwise we get nonsense.
False, as it was men that created the other religions you now lament against.
You're basically saying, 'we need men that will screw this up to interpret it correctly'.

It's not logical, just like how you have placed limitations on an all powerful God concept. YOU have placed a limit on this all powerful God when YOU claim that it needs learned men to interpret its message correctly. I'm left to believe that it can create universes, but can't accurately relay a message in a book. Surely you understand why that gives me pause?

Was there even a God behind which books made it in to what we humans now call the Bible? I have to ask, just how involved do you think this God was?
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

AquinasForGod
Sage

Post #87

Post by AquinasForGod »

[Replying to Clownboat in post #86]

This is all a strawman now. I don't see the point if you don't get my point correct.

I never said anything about how God needs men or how God could not give a book that would convince everyone. If God is real, it is clear he wishes to remain hidden, so he doesn't desire to give a book that would convince everyone.

But no matter the book, unless God moves everyone while they read, they will misunderstand things. That is human nature.

What is clear is that if we give humans any book that teaches about God and life, any book of philosophy, we all interpret them a bit differently. Spinoza wrote in the most logical way, yet philosophers argue about his positions. Man, if only he told a few people exactly what he meant, and then they handed this understanding down to the next generation, and they to the next, etc.

AquinasForGod
Sage

Post #88

Post by AquinasForGod »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:34 pm
Well dangitall. If only learned men woulda writen it, we wouldn't be in this mess.
That is false. Spinoza was a learned man. He wrote very analytically, which makes it more difficult to derive more than one interpretation, yet Philosophers today debate what he meant.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #89

Post by JoeyKnothead »

AquinasForGod wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:18 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:34 pm
Well dangitall. If only learned men woulda written it, we wouldn't be in this mess.
That is false. Spinoza was a learned man. He wrote very analytically, which makes it more difficult to derive more than one interpretation, yet Philosophers today debate what he meant.
My apologies, I didn't know Spinoza wrote the bible.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Clownboat
Savant

Post #90

Post by Clownboat »

AquinasForGod wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:17 pm This is all a strawman now. I don't see the point if you don't get my point correct.
That men created the other religions is fact, not a strawman.
I never said anything about how God needs men or how God could not give a book that would convince everyone. If God is real, it is clear he wishes to remain hidden, so he doesn't desire to give a book that would convince everyone.
So, until we determine if this god is real, we are not justified in claiming that it is real, but hidden.
But no matter the book, unless God moves everyone while they read, they will misunderstand things. That is human nature.
Do you think I had any issue understanding what you just typed? And your just a mere mortal! Imagine the inspired writing of a being that can create universes!
What is clear is that if we give humans any book that teaches about God and life, any book of philosophy, we all interpret them a bit differently.
Not if it was writen clearly. For example, is the Bible clear about the Trinity concept, or hell, or how one gets to heaven? It is not clear and your faith forces you to blame humans. Your blame is misplaced.
Spinoza wrote in the most logical way, yet philosophers argue about his positions.

Do you claim that Spinoza was all powerful, all knowing and able to create universes, or are you begining to see why your analogy fails?
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb