Dinosaur tracks in the Paluxy riverbed.

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

Dinosaur tracks in the Paluxy riverbed.

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

The Paluxy River in Glen Rose, Texas has dried to the point of revealing dinosaur tracks, again. This time apparently to the point that previously undiscovered tracks have been found. This caught my attention because in the 1930s, some creationists claimed that human tracks were found there in the same rock level as dinosaur tracks. It was later determined that they weren't human tracks and there was some evidence that the tracks may have been modified to more closely resemble human tracks.

This article provides some of the issues:
Paluxy Man -- The Creationist Piltdown

Creationists, by citing examples of fossils that are supposed to be in the wrong order for evolution, often try to prove that the geological time scale is in error. In particular, they claim that human footprints have been found in rocks containing traces of dinosaurs and other animals that died out millions of years before humans actually appeared on the earth. As we shall see, however, these alleged footprints are either natural objects that have nothing to do with humans or are deliberate frauds. On the whole, the leading creationist authors are intelligent and sincere, but it seems that they have a very strong will to believe when it comes to defending their model.

https://ncse.ngo/paluxy-man-creationist-piltdown
The Piltdown Man is often presented as a reason to mistrust science, but are there any scientists today who don't accept that it was a fraud?

Are there any creationists today who still accept the human footprint claim and if so, what does that say about science's ability to correct and reject false claims compared to the creationist approach?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Re: Dinosaur tracks in the Paluxy riverbed.

Post #21

Post by Inquirer »

Tcg wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:07 pm [Replying to Inquirer in post #19]

Not surprisingly, no mention of either the Paluxy riverbed or the Piltdown Man. Let me toss you a slow ball. Who determined that Piltdown man was a fraud? Who determined that the footprints in the Paluxy riverbed weren't human? Neither are terribly complex questions.
I tossed you a very fast ball, was it too fast for you?

Tcg
Savant

Post #22

Post by Tcg »

Inquirer wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:10 pm

Not surprisingly, no mention of either the Paluxy riverbed or the Piltdown Man. Let me toss you a slow ball. Who determined that Piltdown man was a fraud? Who determined that the footprints in the Paluxy riverbed weren't human? Neither are terribly complex questions.
Once again, no answer to straightforward and slow pitched questions.

Tcg

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #23

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Tcg wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:14 pm

Tcg
It's kinda weird to see promoters of Truth(tm) dodge questions, only to fuss about how come ya won't answer theirs.

I've learned from these debates that such a tactic most likely means the answerer'd be embarrassed by their own answers.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #24

Post by Inquirer »

Yes that's true when there are outstanding questions that have been asked of you, isn't that entirely reasonable in a debate?

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #25

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Inquirer wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:48 pm

Yes that's true when there are outstanding questions that have been asked of you, isn't that entirely reasonable in a debate?
Exactly as I've said.

This'n here's kinda famous for it.

"I refuse to answer the questions you submit to me, but reserve my right to fuss about you not answering them I put to you."

It's creationism 101. When your answers won't put your argument in a good light, deflect by just asking questions of others, and scream how unfair they are not to answer.

This, and don't it beat all, from the promoters of Truth(tm).

It'd be funny, except to know the Wedge Document is the one religious text we can trust.
-Punkinhead Martin

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #26

Post by Inquirer »

Tcg wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:19 am .
The Paluxy River in Glen Rose, Texas has dried to the point of revealing dinosaur tracks, again. This time apparently to the point that previously undiscovered tracks have been found. This caught my attention because in the 1930s, some creationists claimed that human tracks were found there in the same rock level as dinosaur tracks. It was later determined that they weren't human tracks and there was some evidence that the tracks may have been modified to more closely resemble human tracks.
What is the source of this "apparently" claim? what was it that [recently?] caught your attention?

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #27

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Inquirer wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:38 pm
What is the source of this "apparently" claim? what was it that [recently?] caught your attention?
Here's one source.
-Punkinhead Martin

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #28

Post by Jose Fly »

Tcg wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:14 pm Once again, no answer to straightforward and slow pitched questions.
Most interactions with creationists consist of chasing them around, trying to get them to answer simple questions and/or back up their assertions....and in my experiences, most of these attempts are unsuccessful.

That's why creationists lose in court and science. Both are arenas where one cannot engage in such evasiveness without consequence.
Being apathetic is great....or not. I don't really care.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #29

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Jose Fly wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:40 pm
Tcg wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:14 pm Once again, no answer to straightforward and slow pitched questions.
Most interactions with creationists consist of chasing them around, trying to get them to answer simple questions and/or back up their assertions....and in my experiences, most of these attempts are unsuccessful.

That's why creationists lose in court and science. Both are arenas where one cannot engage in such evasiveness without consequence.
There's a nail hitter of the head on.

And so obvious to those looking in.

Sometimes their silence says more than they ever could.
-Punkinhead Martin

Tcg
Savant

Post #30

Post by Tcg »

Inquirer wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:38 pm
This is what caught my attention: "The Paluxy River in Glen Rose, Texas has dried to the point of revealing dinosaur tracks, again." No mystery there. It's the sentence previous to the one you bolded.

Tcg