Dinosaur tracks in the Paluxy riverbed.

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

Dinosaur tracks in the Paluxy riverbed.

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

The Paluxy River in Glen Rose, Texas has dried to the point of revealing dinosaur tracks, again. This time apparently to the point that previously undiscovered tracks have been found. This caught my attention because in the 1930s, some creationists claimed that human tracks were found there in the same rock level as dinosaur tracks. It was later determined that they weren't human tracks and there was some evidence that the tracks may have been modified to more closely resemble human tracks.

This article provides some of the issues:
Paluxy Man -- The Creationist Piltdown

Creationists, by citing examples of fossils that are supposed to be in the wrong order for evolution, often try to prove that the geological time scale is in error. In particular, they claim that human footprints have been found in rocks containing traces of dinosaurs and other animals that died out millions of years before humans actually appeared on the earth. As we shall see, however, these alleged footprints are either natural objects that have nothing to do with humans or are deliberate frauds. On the whole, the leading creationist authors are intelligent and sincere, but it seems that they have a very strong will to believe when it comes to defending their model.

https://ncse.ngo/paluxy-man-creationist-piltdown
The Piltdown Man is often presented as a reason to mistrust science, but are there any scientists today who don't accept that it was a fraud?

Are there any creationists today who still accept the human footprint claim and if so, what does that say about science's ability to correct and reject false claims compared to the creationist approach?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

AquinasForGod
Sage

Re: Dinosaur tracks in the Paluxy riverbed.

Post #91

Post by AquinasForGod »

[Replying to Clownboat in post #90]

You have misunderstood a few things I have said in our exchanges so far. Language is not perfect and it cannot be. Law books try very hard to be as clear and unambiguous as possible but ultimately fail which is why there is law school.

I have very simple explanation of the Trinity, but I but many will mess it up if they try to explain it in their own words, because they did not understand something correctly.
https://www.freelymeditate.com/single- ... he-trinity

Clownboat
Savant

Post #92

Post by Clownboat »

AquinasForGod wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:59 pm You have misunderstood a few things I have said in our exchanges so far.
Nice! Last post you were claiming a strawman.
When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. - Socrates
Language is not perfect and it cannot be.
I have never claimed that language is perfect (this would be an actual strawman by the way). I do however note that the god of the Bible is often claimed to be not only perfect, but all knowing and all powerful. If you ever get around to reading the Bible, you will realize that it does not reflect being inspired by a god with these qualities.
Law books try very hard to be as clear and unambiguous as possible but ultimately fail which is why there is law school.

Law books are not inspired by perfect, all knowing and all powerful beings that can create universes. If they were, we would read law books and understand that they were not written by mere mortals.
I have very simple explanation of the Trinity,

Gah, and you accuse me of not understanding...
Copy/paste: "Not if it was writen clearly. For example, is the Bible clear about the Trinity concept, or hell, or how one gets to heaven?"

You make my point by pointing out to your accepted explanation of the Trinity and you didn't even acknowledge that believers also disagree about hell or how one gets to heaven. Surely this is not due to any misunderstanding of mine.
but I but many will mess it up if they try to explain it in their own words, because they did not understand something correctly.

Answer this for us please.
If you read an ordinary law book, and then read one that was inspired by an all knowing, all powerful universe creating being, do you think you would be able to tell which one came about via humans and which via the said God?

Why does the Bible not stick out when compared to other holy books? It's almost as if men were behind it like I assume you believe about the Qu'ran and other religious holy books.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

AquinasForGod
Sage

Post #93

Post by AquinasForGod »

[Replying to Clownboat in post #92]

Parts of the bible do stick out, such as Jesus, what he did for the world and what he taught, such as loving your enemies.

Tcg
Savant

Post #94

Post by Tcg »

AquinasForGod wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:27 pm [Replying to Clownboat in post #92]

Parts of the bible do stick out, such as Jesus, what he did for the world and what he taught, such as loving your enemies.
What does Jesus or the bible have to do with the Paluxy riverbed tracks?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Miles
Savant

Post #95

Post by Miles »

AquinasForGod wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:27 pm [Replying to Clownboat in post #92]

And god ordering the deaths of innocent men and women and all of their children and little babies. . . . . because . . . . . . well, because he could, I guess.

1 Samuel 15:2-3
2 The Lord All-Powerful says: ‘When the Israelites came out of Egypt, the Amalekites tried to stop them from going to Canaan. I saw what the Amalekites did. 3 Now go fight against the Amalekites. You must completely destroy the Amalekites and everything that belongs to them. Don’t let anything live; you must kill all the men and women and all of their children and little babies. You must kill all of their cattle and sheep and all of their camels and donkeys."

AND god making mistakes. Now this is a big one because who would have thought the god of Abraham was a fallible god. But he is:

Genesis 6:6

ICB
The Lord was sorry he had made human beings on the earth. His heart was filled with pain.

KJV
And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

ESV
And the Lord regretted that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart.

NIRV
The Lord was very sad that he had made human beings on the earth. His heart was filled with pain.

AquinasForGod
Sage

Post #96

Post by AquinasForGod »

[Replying to Miles in post #95]

I have already told you my position on the OT. Jews did many things in the name of God because they lost their way. Also, the OT is full of stories that never happened but can be used to teach lessons.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #97

Post by JoeyKnothead »

AquinasForGod wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:41 pm [Replying to Miles in post #95]

I have already told you my position on the OT. Jews did many things in the name of God because they lost their way. Also, the OT is full of stories that never happened but can be used to teach lessons.
"Their religion, now they're a goofy bunch, but me and mine, it ain't."
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Miles
Savant

Post #98

Post by Miles »

AquinasForGod wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:41 pm [Replying to Miles in post #95]

I have already told you my position on the OT. Jews did many things in the name of God because they lost their way.
Not talking about what the Jews or Israelites did, but what your God did. He ordered the Israelites to kill innocent people, and he made a mistake when he made man.

Also, the OT is full of stories that never happened but can be used to teach lessons.
Which ones are those, and how do you know?

I ask because All scripture is from god,

2 Timothy 3:16-17
"All Scripture is given by God. And all Scripture is useful for teaching and for showing people what is wrong in their lives. "

and everything He says is true.

Proverbs 30:5-6
"Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Do not add to his words, lest he rebuke you and you be found a liar."

AquinasForGod
Sage

Post #99

Post by AquinasForGod »

[Replying to Miles in post #98]

Yeah, you are not getting it. The OT is not a history book. It doesn't matter how much you misunderstand the NT verses you quote. I have pointed out several times how you clearly are not reading it correctly, and yet you continue in your errors.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #100

Post by Clownboat »

AquinasForGod wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:21 am [Replying to Miles in post #98]

Yeah, you are not getting it. The OT is not a history book. It doesn't matter how much you misunderstand the NT verses you quote. I have pointed out several times how you clearly are not reading it correctly, and yet you continue in your errors.
It is not logical that an all powerful, all knowing God would inspire a book with a message for everyone, yet then require pastors, preists and theologians to then interpret and explain said book.

Is it not possible that perhaps it is you that is not getting it?
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb