NDEs and visions of Jesus.

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

NDEs and visions of Jesus.

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

In many or at least some reports of NDEs, the experiencer reports meeting Jesus during the NDE. Many times, this report comes from one who is a practicing Christian. No surprise there. The question I have concerning this is how do they know it was Jesus they met?

If the story of Judas is correct, the Jewish chief priests and elders had to hire him to point out who Jesus was. Again, if that is true Jesus must have been a rather ordinary looking man. He would not have stood out in the way that many of the illustrations of him suggest. Perhaps if the NDEers are Catholic or have been exposed to the Shroud of Turin their Jesus looks like that image. But, for the others how do they know what Jesus looks like?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Re: NDEs and visions of Jesus.

Post #11

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:38 am
Tcg wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:35 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:30 am
Tcg wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:14 am [Replying to Tcg in post #1]

I had expected that some who are convinced that NDEs include the experience of meeting Jesus would explain how those experiencers knew that they met Jesus. So far that hasn't happened.

The only poster I have come across that believes in NDEs seems convinced that trickery in this area is an impossiblity. I was unable to assertain why.
I dont believe Jesus appears in NDE's to anyone, at least not in our modern era. I think NDEs apre probably just hallucinations.
So, do you think there was a time when Jesus did appear to NDEers?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #12

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Tcg wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:41 am

Tcg
Yes, there is at least one recorded account in the bible, namely the execution of Steven (Act 7:55, 56).

RELATED POSTS

Analysis of a miracle: Assessing miraculous claims
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 09#p878409

Why are there no spectacular miracles such as those described in the bible today?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 39#p958339

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

WITCHCRAFT, SPIRITISM and ... NDE*
*Near Death Experiences
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Tcg
Savant

Post #13

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:42 am

Tcg
Yes, there is at least one recorded account in the bible, namely the execution of Steven.

JW
Well, if one is to mistakenly take the bible as accurate in all its reports that dude actually died. He had a TDE right?

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #14

Tcg wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:46 am

Tcg
Yes, there is at least one recorded account in the bible, namely the execution of Steven.

JW
Well, if one is to mistakenly take the bible as accurate in all its reports that dude actually died. He had a TDE right?

Tcg

I do believe I said yes to your question.
NOTE : I understood "think" to be synonym of "believe" in this circumstance. Do correct me if I misunderstood (in the absence of any correction on your part, the question will be taken as an inquirey as to my personal belief even thougy we are in the Christianity and Apologetics subforum )

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Tcg
Savant

Post #15

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:48 am
Tcg wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:46 am

Tcg

JW

Tcg

Was there a part of the word "yes" you are having trouble understanding?
Oh, I understand the word "yes." Do you not understand that the letter "N" in the acronym NDE stands for "Near?" Did Stephen according to the unsupportable account die or nearly die?

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #16

Tcg wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:54 am

Oh, I understand the word "yes." Do you not understand that the letter "N" in the acronym NDE stands for "Near?" Did Stephen according to the unsupportable account die or nearly die?

Tcg
Well I understand Near as in a vision near death (regardless of the outcome) ie seen when the person was near to death. If the outcome has to be death to qualify as a NDE ....then no I don't believe in NEAR death experiences, they are all in my opinion hallucinations or demonic encounters.

My bad,

JW

RELATED POSTS

Has anybody ever seen a vision of Jesus before dying?
viewtopic.php?p=1090212#p1090212
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tcg
Savant

Post #17

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:59 am
Tcg wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:54 am

Tcg
Well I understand Near as in a vision near death (regardless of the outcome) ie seen when the person was near to death. If the outcome has to be death to qualify as a NDE ....then no I don't believe in NEAR death experiences, they are all in my opinion hallucinations or demonic encounters.

My bad,

JW
Of course, the outcome of an NDE doesn't have to be death. Have you forgotten yet again what the "N" stands for? As far as demons, present evidence these things exist. Bet you can't.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #18

Tcg wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:05 am

Of course, the outcome of an NDE doesn't have to be death. Have you forgotten yet again what the "N" stands for?
  • Okay well if one can have a near death experience and actually DIE afterwards, (and it STILL qualifies as a "NDE") then yes, I do believe Steven saw a vision of Jesus in a Near death Experience (when he was near to death) and after his "NDE", he died.
  • If however one has to survive a near death experience for it to qualify as such, then no I dont believe anyone ever saw Jesus in a NDE.

I don't believe anyone has seen Jesus in our modern era ... "near death" or not.

JW

RELATED POSTS
Has anybody ever seen a vision of Jesus before dying?
viewtopic.php?p=1090212#p1090212

Why would a demon pretend to be Jesus?
viewtopic.php?p=927472#p927472

How can near death experiences NDEs be explained?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 32#p928332

*Near Death Experiences

NOTE All posts I write represent my personal faith based beliefs as one of Jehovah's Witnesses
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tcg
Savant

Post #19

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:09 am

I don't believe anyone has seen Jesus in our modern era ... "near death" or not.

JW
Right. As if the modern era has somehow changed Jesus' abilities to appear.

Of course, maybe you're right. Perhaps Jesus has lost his ability to appear.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #20

Tcg wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:30 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:09 am

JW
Right. As if the modern era has somehow changed Jesus' abilities to appear.

No I dont believe it is a question of {to quote you} "ability" but rather I believe that the purpose of such miraculous manifestations has been fulfilled and they are no longer necessary.

JW

RELATED POSTS

Why are there no spectacular miracles such as those described in the bible today?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 39#p958339

*Near Death Experiences