A rant - about art.

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

A rant - about art.

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

Modern art that is. I do not know if age has robbed me of all patience and self restraint but I can't stand modern art.
When I see what looks like a child drew is up on a gallery wall, priced at a ridiculous level and art lovers are spouting nonsense - I cannot control my mouth. Surely the story of Emperor's New Clothes applies.

How gullible are people and just how much money have they got to throw away?

Look at Ben Nicholson. Please explain what that is about.

Rose2020
Scholar

Re: A rant - about art.

Post #11

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #10]

Artist Ben Nicholson. I just hate his work after watching a TV programme. How can such rubbish be valued so highly?

Tcg
Savant

Post #12

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:53 am [Replying to Tcg in post #10]

Artist Ben Nicholson. I just hate his work after watching a TV programme. How can such rubbish be valued so highly?
So, you are annoyed by the art from one single artist? I'm annoyed by the art of Thomas Kinkade. It's like elevator music, but it doesn't bother me enough to let it concern me too much. People also listened to hair bands once upon a time. Thankfully Nirvana put an end to that.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #13

Post by Rose2020 »

:ok: [Replying to Tcg in post #12]

Thomas Kincade - now I don't mind that kind of thing although it is too over the top for me.
I can see what you mean though about the annoyance factor in such utter fantasy.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #14

Post by Difflugia »

Rose2020 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:53 amArtist Ben Nicholson. I just hate his work after watching a TV programme.
Is that how you became aware of the artist in the first place? You saw it on television and decided that you hate it?
Rose2020 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:53 amHow can such rubbish be valued so highly?
The very fact that art experts think that it's important probably means that it is important beyond simple taste. Did the television show explain the importance of Nicholson's work and you disagree? On what points do you disagree?

Is there anything that you appreciate to the degree that you've moved beyond simple good and bad to recognizing technique, skill of the creator, and quality of production? Foods like wine, cheese, and coffee are common. Is there anything like that for which you have an appreciation that you might draw an analogy with those that appreciate art?
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #15

Post by Rose2020 »

Actually, I had never heard of collaboration in a work before this programme I watched. One work of Ben Nicholson was the result of a friend doing part of it, which devalued it considerably.
Did and do artists often do this? I cannot imagine why.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #16

Post by Difflugia »

Rose2020 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:16 amActually, I had never heard of collaboration in a work before this programme I watched. One work of Ben Nicholson was the result of a friend doing part of it, which devalued it considerably.
Is this the reason for your apparently visceral reaction or is it an independent observation?
Rose2020 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:16 amDid and do artists often do this?
Did you try Googling "artist collaboration"?
Rose2020 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:16 amI cannot imagine why.
Most artists value artistic technique and vision in other artists and I can imagine many reasons why artists would collaborate. If the art is a hobby, then one might simply want to share the creative time with a fellow artist. Do you cook? Have you ever cooked with someone else for the company? Did you not also enjoy comparing technique and the unique flavors of your respective cooking styles? Was the resulting meal perhaps more than the sum of its parts, both emotionally and culinarily?
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #17

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Difflugia in post #14]

I saw enough to know it was horrible. I have seen many examples of modern art and hate them all.
I may be wrong but that is my opinion! Each to his own.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #18

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Difflugia in post #16]

Well, this was on 'Fake or Fortune' yesterday.
The other artist who collaborated was apparently an inferior one, a friend of Ben Nicholson. By joining him on this painting which was actually on a bedroom wall of a cottage, the value of the work was considerably reduced.

So not a good idea then? If a so called master artist does allow collaboration, he risks demoting even ruining his work.

Just my humble opinion. I just never heard of this aspect before.

Tcg
Savant

Post #19

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:06 am [Replying to Difflugia in post #14]

I saw enough to know it was horrible. I have seen many examples of modern art and hate them all.
I may be wrong but that is my opinion! Each to his own.
Well, your next step is clear. Start a campaign to ban modern art. Who knows, these days it may get some traction.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #20

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #19]

I shall do it lol! I cannot be the only one who is puzzled by extortionate sums being paid for a few squiggles on a canvas by people with more money than sense.
That is the ultimate idol worship.