A rant - about art.

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

A rant - about art.

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

Modern art that is. I do not know if age has robbed me of all patience and self restraint but I can't stand modern art.
When I see what looks like a child drew is up on a gallery wall, priced at a ridiculous level and art lovers are spouting nonsense - I cannot control my mouth. Surely the story of Emperor's New Clothes applies.

How gullible are people and just how much money have they got to throw away?

Look at Ben Nicholson. Please explain what that is about.

Miles
Savant

Re: A rant - about art.

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Why are you caring? Are you tired of caring about the things you like?

historia
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by historia »

[Replying to Rose2020 in post #1]

Modern abstract art is often more concerned with an idea or the emotional impact a piece has than with traditional techniques. Not all modern art pieces resonate with me, to be sure, but I think it is ill-considered to dismiss art one doesn't like as a sham.

historia
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by historia »

Miles wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:58 pm
If we're only supposed to critique the things we like, then I'm afraid that's bad news for the atheists on this forum.

Miles
Savant

Post #5

Post by Miles »

historia wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:46 pm
Miles wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:58 pm
If we're only supposed to critique the things we like, then I'm afraid that's bad news for the atheists on this forum.
I don't regard complaining as critiquing.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by Difflugia »

historia wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:46 pmIf we're only supposed to critique the things we like, then I'm afraid that's bad news for the atheists on this forum.
Speak for yourself! I like the Bible. I just feel like the Bible is an art gallery with pieces that run the gamut from impressionist to surrealist to abstract, but every time I stop to admire a painting, a group of Christians forms behind me and insists that it's a candid and unretouched photograph.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

Difflugia wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:46 pm
historia wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:46 pmIf we're only supposed to critique the things we like, then I'm afraid that's bad news for the atheists on this forum.
Speak for yourself! I like the Bible. I just feel like the Bible is an art gallery with pieces that run the gamut from impressionist to surrealist to abstract, but every time I stop to admire a painting, a group of Christians forms behind me and insists that it's a candid and unretouched photograph.
I don't know that I like the Bible, but I certainly enjoy seeing the variety of ideas people have about it. I also find it a bit worrisome that so many especially here in the U.S. think we should live according to it and even base our laws on it. It should come as no surprise that even we atheists want to keep an eye on what people are asserting based on their interpretation of the Bible. If admirers of modern art ever start suggesting we should restrict the rights of certain groups based on that art, I'd probably keep a close eye on them as well. If they suggested it was the inspired work of God, I'd get real interested.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #8

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to Rose2020 in post #1]

I'm not much of an art guy, but I remember visiting the Barnes Foundation in Philly a number of years ago. Some of the art was astoundingly beautiful but listening to the tour guides explain it made me feel like I was pretty dumb. They saw things in it I didn't. I'm like, cool a sunflower. They were all, the contrast of the different textures and colors reveal an approach to life that is realistic without being pessimistic. I thought it was a flower.

All that to say, some people can understand and relate to things others can't. I can't explain modern art, but if you see a picture of a sunflower, I can now explain that it reveals an approach to life that is realistic without being pessimistic.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #9

Post by Rose2020 »

True that art is subjective. Yet I hate that lurking feeling I get that some artists are surely having a joke!

A dot or circle on a piece of cardboard is ridiculous. Reading things into such is annoying to me.

Tcg
Savant

Post #10

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:39 am True that art is subjective. Yet I hate that lurking feeling I get that some artists are surely having a joke!

A dot or circle on a piece of cardboard is ridiculous. Reading things into such is annoying to me.
How are you exposed to this art that is so annoying to you?

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom