WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BELIEVE IN JESUS?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BELIEVE IN JESUS?

Post #1

Post by Eddie Ramos »

Throughout the vast religions of the world, most of them acknowledge Jesus Christ as having something to do with God. In other words, they all say that they believe in Jesus, but what exactly do they believe about Jesus? This is where the division comes in. Some believe that Jesus was just a good teacher, but not the son of God. Yet others believe that Jesus was the son of God, but not God himself. And still others believe that Jesus was God in the flesh. But all of these believe in Jesus. Does that mean that they are all saved? Not at all. When the Bible says that we must believe in Jesus, there is actually something very specific that God has in mind.

John 8:24 (KJV 1900)
I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I AM, ye shall die in your sins.

The Word of God tells us that believing in Jesus is to believe that he is I AM, meaning , JEHOVAH in the flesh. And because God has written the Bible in the form of parables (to conceal truth), the casual reader who approaches the Bible as a plain textbook, is left extremely confused as to who one is versus the other. And so, they say they believe in Jesus, yet they actually don't truly believe the way the Bible requires it. They reject that Jesus is God in the flesh. And by doing so, they remain dead their sins as per John 8:24.

I will be defending the truth of the scriptures that teach that Jesus is JEHOVAH in the flesh, and that true belief in Jesus, means to believe that he is indeed JEHOVAH in the flesh. If anyone objects this position, I will respond with the Bible to whatever scriptures you provide.

What do you think it means, according to the Bible, to believe in Jesus?

kjw47
Under Probation

Re: WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BELIEVE IN JESUS?

Post #41

Post by kjw47 »

Miles wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:41 pm
kjw47 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:14 pm
Miles wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:29 pm
kjw47 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:54 pm
Miles wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:53 pm
kjw47 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:31 pm
Miles wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:48 pm
kjw47 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:51 pm [Replying to onewithhim in post #28]

Yes believe i am he = The one sent by God, the Messiah. The Israelite scholars of the day would not believe it.
They rejected him.
As do the "Israelite scholars" of today. :mrgreen:

Yes still today, the Israelite religion is cut off of being Gods chosen-Matt 23:38-39. Jesus told them off in Matt 23, told them they were cut off in verse 38 unless they did verse 39--they have outright refused for over 1950 years.
But they knew that the one being sent to them by God was not God, but that he had a God-Psalm 45:7- the apostles and followers knew that fact as well after. Thus they did not bow in worship( as some translations have that error) to one who has a God, they bowed in obesiance to Gods appointed king. That Greek word-Proskenaue( spelled wrong) translates-to bow and kiss the feet-From Greek to English carried 5 different meanings- 1) Worship to God-2) Obesiance to a king-3) Honor to a judge-plus 2 others. Obesiance is the correct usage for the Messiah.
They knew as well the term-one like the son of man( Daniel 7:13-15) meant--one who was created --was given a kingship from the ancient of days( God=YHWH) --Only the Messiah was given a kingship.
Do you think they really care what, to them is a pseudomessiah, says? I don't. I think Jews pretty much snicker at the Christian claim.

Yes sadly for them, they were apostocised when Jesus came, they reasoned falsely that the Messiah was coming as a mighty king to destroy the Romans. A carpenters son shows up. They are apostocised to this day. Spiritual Israel is now Gods chosen.
I assume "apostocised" is your own cognate of "apostasy," which the Merriam Webster Dictionary defines as

apostasy noun
apos·​ta·​sy | \ ə-ˈpä-stə-sē
plural apostasies
Definition of apostasy

.....1 : an act of refusing to continue to follow, obey, or recognize a religious faith
.....2 : abandonment of a previous loyalty : defection

and seems better applied to Christians who, refusing to continue to follow the Jewish faith, started their own. They abandoned a previous loyalty. So it was the Christians who were "apostocised," not the Jews.

Yes?

Actually the words of Jesus assures the Israelite religion is cut off of being Gods chosen-Matt 23:38-39. He tells them off at Matt 23, then in verse 38 assures them they are cut off, but God left the door open to them in verse 39, they have outright refused to do 39 for over 1950 years. A new religion began, the pharisees saw it begin-Acts 24:5--It wasnt the religion that came out of Rome.
Here, Let me ask you again.

(apostasy) seems better applied to Christians who, refusing to continue to follow the Jewish faith, started their own. They abandoned a previous loyalty. So it was the Christians who were "apostocised," not the Jews.

Yes?

Should be unable to give a direct answer I'll take it that you agree: Yes, apostasy seems better applied to Christians who, refusing to continue to follow the Jewish faith, started their own. They abandoned a previous loyalty. So it was the Christians who were "apostocised," not the Jews.

By Gods will, Jesus started a new religion, not apostasy.

Miles
Savant

Post #42

Post by Miles »

kjw47 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:45 am

Yes believe i am he = The one sent by God, the Messiah. The Israelite scholars of the day would not believe it.
They rejected him.

Yes still today, the Israelite religion is cut off of being Gods chosen-Matt 23:38-39. Jesus told them off in Matt 23, told them they were cut off in verse 38 unless they did verse 39--they have outright refused for over 1950 years.
But they knew that the one being sent to them by God was not God, but that he had a God-Psalm 45:7- the apostles and followers knew that fact as well after. Thus they did not bow in worship( as some translations have that error) to one who has a God, they bowed in obesiance to Gods appointed king. That Greek word-Proskenaue( spelled wrong) translates-to bow and kiss the feet-From Greek to English carried 5 different meanings- 1) Worship to God-2) Obesiance to a king-3) Honor to a judge-plus 2 others. Obesiance is the correct usage for the Messiah.
They knew as well the term-one like the son of man( Daniel 7:13-15) meant--one who was created --was given a kingship from the ancient of days( God=YHWH) --Only the Messiah was given a kingship.
Do you think they really care what, to them is a pseudomessiah, says? I don't. I think Jews pretty much snicker at the Christian claim.

Yes sadly for them, they were apostocised when Jesus came, they reasoned falsely that the Messiah was coming as a mighty king to destroy the Romans. A carpenters son shows up. They are apostocised to this day. Spiritual Israel is now Gods chosen.
I assume "apostocised" is your own cognate of "apostasy," which the Merriam Webster Dictionary defines as

apostasy noun
plural apostasies
Definition of apostasy

.....1 : an act of refusing to continue to follow, obey, or recognize a religious faith

and seems better applied to Christians who, refusing to continue to follow the Jewish faith, started their own. They abandoned a previous loyalty. So it was the Christians who were "apostocised," not the Jews.

Yes?

Actually the words of Jesus assures the Israelite religion is cut off of being Gods chosen-Matt 23:38-39. He tells them off at Matt 23, then in verse 38 assures them they are cut off, but God left the door open to them in verse 39, they have outright refused to do 39 for over 1950 years. A new religion began, the pharisees saw it begin-Acts 24:5--It wasnt the religion that came out of Rome.

(apostasy) seems better applied to Christians who, refusing to continue to follow the Jewish faith, started their own. They abandoned a previous loyalty. So it was the Christians who were "apostocised," not the Jews.

Yes?

Should be unable to give a direct answer I'll take it that you agree: Yes, apostasy seems better applied to Christians who, refusing to continue to follow the Jewish faith, started their own. They abandoned a previous loyalty. So it was the Christians who were "apostocised," not the Jews.

Fine. I take that as admittance that Yes, apostasy seems better applied to Christians who, refusing to continue to follow the Jewish faith, started their own.

Thank you.

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #43

Post by kjw47 »

Miles wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:08 pm

They rejected him.

apostasy noun
plural apostasies
Definition of apostasy

Yes?

Yes?

Fine. I take that as admittance that Yes, apostasy seems better applied to Christians who, refusing to continue to follow the Jewish faith, started their own.

Thank you.

Men reason this way and that, are rarely ever correct. Gods view is what counts in the end. It was his will that a new religion begin, it has 0 to do with apostasy. In a sense can look that way but its not fact.
The same reasoning can be applied to the usa in the 1700,s-Great britian ruled this country, yet they called Benedict Arnold the traitor for being loyal to those who were in the ruling position. Was it not them being the traitors to who ruled?

Miles
Savant

Post #44

Post by Miles »

kjw47 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:21 pm

apostasy noun
plural apostasies
Definition of apostasy

Yes?

Yes?

Thank you.

Men reason this way and that, are rarely ever correct. Gods view is what counts in the end. It was his will that a new religion begin, it has 0 to do with apostasy. In a sense can look that way but its not fact.
The same reasoning can be applied to the usa in the 1700,s-Great britian ruled this country, yet they called Benedict Arnold the traitor for being loyal to those who were in the ruling position. Was it not them being the traitors to who ruled?
If you recall the definition I provided,

apostasy noun
plural apostasies
Definition of apostasy

.....2 : abandonment of a previous loyalty : defection[/quote]

The why doesn't matter, but the what. Christians, refusing to continue to follow the Jewish faith and abandoning their previous loyalty to it, they started their own religion thereby committing apostasy.

One of those facts of Christian life. :mrgreen:

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #45

Post by kjw47 »

Miles wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:50 pm
kjw47 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:21 pm

apostasy noun
plural apostasies
Definition of apostasy

Yes?

Yes?

Thank you.

If you recall the definition I provided,

apostasy noun
plural apostasies
Definition of apostasy

The why doesn't matter, but the what. Christians, refusing to continue to follow the Jewish faith and abandoning their previous loyalty to it, they started their own religion thereby committing apostasy.

One of those facts of Christian life. :mrgreen:

[/quote]

The true religion Jesus began, follow all that God commands. Jesus happened to bring a new covenant=Love, not written Laws. The Nt says law will be written on hearts. That means if one actually has the Love Jesus spoke of, their heart wouldn't consider having another God before their face, or stealing from their brothers, or coveting their things, not committing adultery on their mate nor killing one another, etc all the way down the line. Not many have that love. It wasnt apostasy it was a new covenant.
One can find that religion with ease-- They serve the God of Abraham, Issac, etc=YHWH(Jehovah) a single being God. Few know that was the God taught to Jesus and every bible writer when they attended the Israelite places of worship.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #46

Post by onewithhim »

onewithhim wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:29 pm

They rejected him.

apostasy noun
plural apostasies
Definition of apostasy

Yes?

When Jesus showed up he followed the Jewish faith to the letter, and he taught his disciples to do so as well. His faith was not a "new" religion---it was a continuation of the Jewish faith according to the Scriptures. The Jewish leaders of that time did not follow the Scriptural pattern of true faith in Jehovah, and didn't accept the Messiah that was promised in their own Scriptures, from Genesis on. THEY were apostate. The Christians carried on what the Old Testament taught about God and the Messiah. The Jews refused. Jehovah turned from them (as his chosen people) to the Christian congregation, as Jesus stated (Matthew 21:43) and Peter reiterated (I Peter 2:9,10).
I think my comment here deserves a response. It is quite simple to understand. It is not complicated.

DB
Student

Post #47

Post by DB »

[Replying to Eddie Ramos in post #11]
Eddie Ramos, you are the king of non sequiturs. Every time that you respond to a contention of your beliefs, you divert the conversation to be of an unrelated issue, and worse, always imposing your presuppositions, by defining it as the 'word of God'.
You have proven nothing, but have always argued in circles - '...we must understand what the Scriptures mean...' - but, if they don't mean what I believe them to mean, then the contrarian position is incorrect.

God's word MUST make grammatical sense, for men spoke to other men expecting them all to comprehend the message. Bastardizing grammatical rules confounds everyone. If your hermeneutics allow for an unconventional or defiant regard of grammar, then your exegesis must be put into question.

ego eimi is one of the moist common verb conjugations in the history of languages - Jesus, or anyone else, is allowed to use the phrase ego eimi without alluding to their deity, obviously.
The Septuagint translates Exodus 3:14 as ego eimi ho on, and obviously, it is the ho on that gives the expression the significance and profundity of the expression 'I am what I will be, I am that I am, ...'.
Every single person that spoke Koine Greek in the time of Jesus used the phrase ego eimi, whether written or not, including all the NT Bible characters - I don't need to prove this axiomatic fact - even though the Bible has several examples of Jesus using it and clearly not meaning that he was God (John 18:4-6, John 4:26), or others as Paul or the blind man that was excommunicated.

Again, and this shouldn't require explaining, ho on is the allusion to deity and not ego eimi, and every Koine Greek speaking person under the son has used the expression ego eimi.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #48

Post by onewithhim »

DB is correct, and also post #46 deserves comment.

OneWay
Banned
Banned

Post #49

Post by OneWay »

Eddie Ramos wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:54 pm
What do you think it means, according to the Bible, to believe in Jesus?
To do everything He tells you to do, exactly as He told you to do it,
everyday, all day long, no matter what, whatsoever, no exceptions.