Seems Jesus Was Just Keeping Up With The Τζόουνς (Jonses)

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

Seems Jesus Was Just Keeping Up With The Τζόουνς (Jonses)

Post #1

Post by Miles »

List of the Gods throughout history who are said to have been crucified, died and resurrected before Jesus .

OSIRIS
An Egyptian, Ethiopian, Sudanese God. He was said to have been crucified, he died and resurrected 5,000 YEARS before Jesus.

HORUS
An Egyptian, Ethiopian, Sudanese God. He was said to have been crucified, he died and resurrected 3,000 YEARS before Jesus.

BUDDHA
An Indian God. He was said to have been crucified, he died and resurrected 600 YEARS before Jesus.

KRISHNA
An Indian God. He was said to have been crucified, he died and resurrected 900 YEARS before Jesus..

ZARATHUSTRA
An Iranian God. He was said to have been crucified, he died and resurrected 1,000 YEARS before Jesus.

HERCULES
A Greek God. He was said to have been crucified, he died and resurrected 800 YEARS before Jesus.

MITHRA
An Iranian God. He was said to have been crucified, he died and resurrected 600 YEARS before Jesus.

DIONYSUS
A Greek God. He was said to have been crucified, he died and resurrected 500 YEARS before Jesus..

THAMMUZ
A Babylonian God. He was said to have been crucified, he died and resurrected 2,000 YEARS before Jesus.

HERMES
A Greek God. He was said to have been crucified, he died and resurrected 200 YEARS before Jesus.

ADONIS
A Phoenician God. He was said to have been crucified, he died and resurrected 200 YEARS before Jesus.
source

Seems that back then no self respecting god could die without being crucified and resurrecting. So when Jesus's demise was at hand his biographers, who couldn't have him bested by his predecessors, simply followed suit.

JESUS CHRIST
A Hebrew God. He was said to have been crucified, he died and resurrected in 30 AD or 33 A.D.

tam
Savant

Re: Seems Jesus Was Just Keeping Up With The Τζόουνς (Jonses)

Post #2

Post by tam »

Peace to you,

I can't believe people are still believing these things... that discussion forum in your link looked to be from 2019 (unless I misread it and it was 2009; I'll check again after posting this - nope I saw it right, 2019).

Buddha was not crucified.

Just google it. I'm only doing the one name from your list, because it should only take one to show you how ... hmm... "reliable" these people and their 'sources' are. Please forgive my bluntness, I don't mean to come off as rude, but this stuff is bogus. Yet it is still out there making the rounds.
The death of the Buddha (Siddhartha Gautama) has been depicted widely in Buddhist iconography. The Buddha is generally shown with a serene or smiling expression, lying on his right side and resting his head on his right hand. The dates of Buddha's life traditionally are given as 566-486 BC. Buddha died from an illness, the nature of which remains unsettled. The present paper examines a variety of sources and concludes that it was tainted pork that led to his demise. He succumbed to the disease pig-bel, a necrotizing enteritis caused by the toxins of Clostridium perfringens infection.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19813312/
After traveling and teaching some more, the Buddha ate his last meal, which he had received as an offering from a blacksmith named Cunda. Falling violently ill, Buddha instructed his attendant Ānanda to convince Cunda that the meal eaten at his place had nothing to do with his death and that his meal would be a source of the greatest merit as it provided the last meal for a Buddha.[241] Bhikkhu and von Hinüber argue that the Buddha died of mesenteric infarction, a symptom of old age, rather than food poisoning.[242][243]

"..."

As per the Mahaparinibbana sutta, after the meal with Cunda, the Buddha and his companions continued traveling until he was too weak to continue and had to stop at Kushinagar, where Ānanda had a resting place prepared in a grove of Sala trees.[246][247] After announcing to the sangha at large that he would soon be passing away to final Nirvana, the Buddha ordained one last novice into the order personally, his name was Subhadda.[246] He then repeated his final instructions to the sangha, which was that the Dhamma and Vinaya was to be their teacher after his death. Then he asked if anyone had any doubts about the teaching, but nobody did.[248] The Buddha's final words are reported to have been: "All saṅkhāras decay. Strive for the goal with diligence (appamāda)" (Pali: 'vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādethā').[249][250]

He then entered his final meditation and died,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gautama_B ... arinirvana
Buddha died around the age of 80, possibly of an illness from eating spoiled meat or other food.
https://www.biography.com/religious-figure/buddha

No crucifixion here on britannica either:

https://www.britannica.com/summary/Budd ... f-Buddhism

Peace again to you.
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

Diogenes
Guru

Post #3

Post by Diogenes »

tam wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:12 pm Peace to you,

I can't believe people are still believing these things
I can't believe people still believe Jesus is a god... or in any god. There is much in Buddhism that is similar to Christianity:
Self denial
Trying to banish desire
That the truth is within you

One of the more interesting is the concept of the Bodhisattva who is supremely compassionate, desiring budhahood for all. In one version he sacrifices himself in order to help others. There are no unique themes in the history of religion, all 10,000 of them with their thousands of gods. Anyone who has any doubt about the universality and power of myth would do well to read Joseph Campbell. There was a 7 part PBS series featuring him, hosted by Bill Moyers. It's excellent and a great way to open closed minds.

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

Savant

Post #4

Post by 1213 »

Miles wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:22 pm ...
JESUS CHRIST
A Hebrew God. He was said to have been crucified, he died and resurrected in 30 AD or 33 A.D.
Why to you think Jesus is a Hebrew God? Bible tells there is only one true God that is greater than Jesus, who is a man.

This is eternal life, that they should know you, the only true God, and him whom you sent, Jesus Christ.
John 17:3
Jesus said to her, “Don’t touch me, for I haven’t yet ascended to my Father; but go to my brothers, and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”
John 20:17
...the Father is greater than I.
John 14:28
For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
1 Timothy 2:5

Miles
Savant

Post #5

Post by Miles »

1213 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:11 pm
JESUS CHRIST
Why to you think Jesus is a Hebrew God? Bible tells there is only one true God that is greater than Jesus, who is a man.
First of all, why Jesus was god. Although there are many Bible verses where Jesus and god are depicted as two different entities, there are also those verses that identify Jesus as god.

John 1:1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. ["This is John's meaning when he says that Jesus is the Word. He meant that Jesus is the physical manifestation of God the Father," i.e. Jesus is god.]
source

1 John 5:20
And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true; and we are in him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.

John 10:30

I and the Father are one.”

John 20:28
Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!”

Hebrews 1:8

But of the Son he says, “Your throne, O God, is forever and ever the scepter of uprightness is the scepter of your kingdom.

Matthew 1:23

“Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall call his name Immanuel” (which means, God with us).

Isaiah 44:6

Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts: “I am the first and I am the last; besides me there is no god.

Revelation 22:13
I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.”

and so forth.

As for being the Hebrew god: Nothing in the Bible points to any other god as the true god, so Jesus, being Jewish and god, was indubitably the Hebrew god ("Hebrew" being the former name for the Jews.)

"Yahweh is the name of the state god of the ancient Kingdom of Israel and, later, the Kingdom of Judah. His name is composed of four Hebrew consonants (YHWH, known as the Tetragrammaton) which the prophet Moses is said to have revealed to his people. As the name of the supreme being was considered too holy to be spoken, the consonants YHWH were used to remind one to say the word 'adonai' (lord) in place of the god's name, a common practice throughout the Near East in which epithets were used in referencing a deity.

All of these stipulations and details were applied to the god later, however; it is unclear exactly when Yahweh was first worshipped, by whom, or how.
source

historia
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by historia »

tam wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:12 pm
I'm only doing the one name from your list, because it should only take one to show you how ... hmm... "reliable" these people and their 'sources' are. Please forgive my bluntness, I don't mean to come off as rude, but this stuff is bogus.
Let's do a few more, just for fun.
Miles wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:22 pm
ZARATHUSTRA
An Iranian God. He was said to have been crucified, he died and resurrected 1,000 YEARS before Jesus.
This is wrong across the board. First, Zarathustra is not considered a god by Zoroastrians.

And, second, concerning his death, there are competing traditions:
World History Encyclopedia wrote:
According to one tradition, [Zarathustra] died of natural causes when he was 77 while, according to another, he was assassinated by a karpan priest in retaliation for dismantling the old religion.
But no source says that he was crucified and none say he was resurrected.
HERCULES
A Greek God. He was said to have been crucified, he died and resurrected 800 YEARS before Jesus.
This is also wrong. In Greek mythology, Heracles (Hercules) is poisoned and then kills himself in a funeral pyre. His body dies and the immortal part of him goes to be with the gods, which is the exact opposite of resurrection.
ADONIS
A Phoenician God. He was said to have been crucified, he died and resurrected 200 YEARS before Jesus.
Also false. According to Greek mythology, Adonis was gored by a wild boar during a hunting trip, not crucified, and brought back to life in a cycle of dying and rising, but that's not resurrection in the Jewish or Christian sense.

Diogenes
Guru

Post #7

Post by Diogenes »

[Replying to historia in post #6]
The exact manner of death and resurrection are not important. It is the theme itself that is important, along with the ubiquity of this motif.
A dying-and-rising, death-rebirth, or resurrection deity is a religious motif in which a god or goddess dies and is resurrected.[1][2][3][4] Examples of gods who die and later return to life are most often cited from the religions of the ancient Near East, and traditions influenced by them include Greco-Roman mythology. The concept of a dying-and-rising god was first proposed in comparative mythology by James Frazer's seminal The Golden Bough (1890). Frazer associated the motif with fertility rites surrounding the yearly cycle of vegetation. Frazer cited the examples of Osiris, Tammuz, Adonis and Attis, Dionysus and Jesus
In the 2010s, Paola Corrente conducted an extensive survey of the status of the dying and rising god category. While she agrees that much of Frazer's specific evidence was faulty, she argues that the category as a whole is valid, though she suggests modifications to the specific criteria. Corrente specifically focuses her attention on several Near Eastern and Mesopotamian gods as examples which she argues have been largely ignored, both by Frazer (who would not have had access to most relevant texts) and his more recent critics. These examples include the goddess Inanna in Sumerian texts and Ba'al in Ugaritic texts, whose myths, Corrente argues, offer concrete examples of death and resurrection. Corrente also utilizes the example of Dionysus, whose connection to the category is more complicated, but have still been largely ignored or mischaracterized by other scholars including Frazer himself in her view
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dying-and-rising_deity

— Confucius

Diogenes
Guru

Post #8

Post by Diogenes »

1213 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:11 pm
JESUS CHRIST

This is eternal life, that they should know you, the only true God, and him whom you sent, Jesus Christ.
John 17:3
Jesus said to her, “Don’t touch me, for I haven’t yet ascended to my Father; but go to my brothers, and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”
John 20:17
...the Father is greater than I.
John 14:28
For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
So, we have the oddball 'Gospel of John' as essentially the only source proclaiming Jesus as God vs the entire rest of scripture. Except for Paul, who changed his name from Saul after he had a mental health breakdown. And upon this flimsy evidence an entirely new and blasphemous branch of Judaism has been built entirely rebuking and contradicting its most basic tenets.

— Confucius

Savant

Post #9

Post by 1213 »

Diogenes wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:38 am ...
So, we have the oddball 'Gospel of John' as essentially the only source proclaiming Jesus as God vs the entire rest of scripture. Except for Paul,...
Maybe I don't understand you correctly, please explain why do you think John or Paul proclaims Jesus is the God?

Savant

Post #10

Post by 1213 »

Miles wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:34 pm ...
John 1:1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. ["This is John's meaning when he says that Jesus is the Word. He meant that Jesus is the physical manifestation of God the Father," i.e. Jesus is god.]
source

1 John 5:20
And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true; and we are in him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.

John 10:30

I and the Father are one.”

John 20:28
Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!”

Hebrews 1:8

But of the Son he says, “Your throne, O God, is forever and ever the scepter of uprightness is the scepter of your kingdom.

Matthew 1:23

“Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall call his name Immanuel” (which means, God with us).

Isaiah 44:6

Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts: “I am the first and I am the last; besides me there is no god.

Revelation 22:13
I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.”
So, the whole idea about Jesus being the God seems to be based on interpretations that may work, if one ignores most of what is said in the Bible.

John 1:1 says the word was god, not Jesus. 1 John 5:20 doesn't really say Jesus is the God. John 10:3 doesn't say Jesus is the God. And if we would think being one with God means that the person is then God would mean all disciples of Jesus are also God, because they are also one with the God (John 17:11,21). John 20:28 doesn't say Jesus is the God. Bible tells Jesus is the temple of God, God dwells in him, which is why they both were there, Jesus and the God (John 14:10-14). Matthew 1:23 also confirms the idea that God dwells in Jesus, which is why God is with us, in Jesus. Bible tells God is also in the disciples of Jesus (1 Corinthians 3:16). If we interpret Isaiah 44:6 and Revelation 22:13 to mean that Jesus is the one and only true God, then it is in contradiction with many direct words of the Bible, that is why I think the interpretation is wrong.

Hebrews 1:8 is the most interesting of these scriptures. It is referring to this:
Your throne, God, is forever and ever. A scepter of equity is the scepter of your kingdom. You have loved righteousness, and hated wickedness. Therefore God, your God, has anointed you with the oil of gladness above your fellows.
Ps. 45:6-7

If it means there are two true gods, why Jews cling on to the idea of only one God, as also Jesus did?

Jesus answered, “The most important is, ‘Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God is one Lord, and you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.
Mark 12:29-30

But, this is not all. Bible tells that many gods have existed, also Moses was called a god.

Yahweh said to Moses, “Behold, I have made you as God to Pharaoh; and Aaron your brother shall be your prophet.
Ex.7:1

And here are few examples of other gods in the Bible:

God presides in the great assembly. He judges among the gods.
Psalms 82:1
I said, "You are gods, All of you are sons of the Most High. Nevertheless you shall die like men, And fall like one of the rulers."
Psalms 82:6-7
Now it happened on the day when the sons of God came to present themselves before Yahweh, that Satan also came among them.
Job 1:6

So, if Moses could be called a god, Jesus could as well. But, if you are a disciple of Jesus, you understand that there is only one true god, as Paul also says:

...For though there are things that are called "gods," whether in the heavens or on earth; as there are many "gods" and many "lords;" yet to us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and we live through him.
1 Corinthians 8:4-6