Obscure opinion: gospel Jesus as lord of a here-and-now kingdom

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Longfellow
Student

Obscure opinion: gospel Jesus as lord of a here-and-now kingdom

Post #1

Post by Longfellow »

This is strictly about the Jesus that I see in the gospels, without making any claims about whether anything in those stories ever really happened or not. Just considering the gospels as stories in themselves, no matter if any part of them is historical or not. The Jesus that I see in those stories is promoting a metaphorical kingdom, with him as its king, and his dominion the hearts of people who enter that kingdom by recognizing and accepting him as their Lord and being filled with a desire to serve and obey him. The best possibilities in life are in learning to trust and follow him.

(later) To clarify, the Jesus that I see in the gospels is saying that the best possibilities in life are in learning to trust and follow him.
Last edited by Longfellow on Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tcg
Savant

Re: Obscure opinion: gospel Jesus as lord of a here-and-now kingdom

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

Longfellow wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:15 am This is strictly about the Jesus that I see in the gospels, without making any claims about whether anything in those stories ever really happened or not. Just considering the gospels as stories in themselves, no matter if any part of them is historical or not. The Jesus that I see in those stories is promoting a metaphorical kingdom, with him as its king, and his dominion the hearts of people who enter that kingdom by recognizing and accepting him as their Lord and being filled with a desire to serve and obey him. The best possibilities in life are in learning to trust and follow him.
Given that you aren't making any claims that any of the stories are true, one has to wonder why you'd then assert that, "The best possibilities in life are in learning to trust and follow him." Are you suggesting that even if it is fantasy, it's better to believe?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Longfellow
Student

Post #3

Post by Longfellow »

Longfellow wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:15 am This is strictly about the Jesus that I see in the gospels, without making any claims about whether anything in those stories ever really happened or not. Just considering the gospels as stories in themselves, no matter if any part of them is historical or not. The Jesus that I see in those stories is promoting a metaphorical kingdom, with him as its king, and his dominion the hearts of people who enter that kingdom by recognizing and accepting him as their Lord and being filled with a desire to serve and obey him. The best possibilities in life are in learning to trust and follow him.
Tcg wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:48 am Given that you aren't making any claims that any of the stories are true, one has to wonder why you'd then assert that, "The best possibilities in life are in learning to trust and follow him." Are you suggesting that even if it is fantasy, it's better to believe?
Thank you. I've added a note to that post to clarify that.

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

(later) To clarify, the Jesus that I see in the gospels is saying that the best possibilities in life are in learning to trust and follow him.

And why should anyone care what Jesus says when all the stories about him lack veracity? It would be like following Donald Trump when he touted two antimalaria drugs as cures for Covid-19, or encouraged his top health officials to study the injection of bleach into the human body as a means of fighting Covid because HE was President. Ignorance born of idiocy merits ridicule, not respect.