Parasites and Darwin

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Parasites and Darwin

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

Entymology interests me and I have been reading a lot recently. I am both fascinated and horrified especially at the things that parasites do, not only to humans but within insect and animal lives. There truly is appalling stuff going on! Like organisms slowly eating other organisms alive.

I read that Darwin himself had a real crisis of conscience about this. He wondered how a loving creator could have done made this so.

I too am pondering on this, as a committed Christian. How in this world everything consumes everything. In my humble opinion I trust that this must be the only way the balance of nature can be maintained. Yet did it have to be so very cruel? I cannot blame people for doubting God.

William
Savant

Re: Parasites and Darwin

Post #21

Post by William »

I think that the subject is connected with The Problem of Evil.

As in "Is a creator of the biological system we are involved within, therefore cruel, [aka "evil"] for placing us in it?"

help3434
Guru

Post #22

Post by help3434 »

Inquirer wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:19 pm

That God is in control and nothing happens that God does not permit, is central theme in scripture, that you regard that as committing "atrocities" is not really rational, how can the creator of something commit an atrocity against it? perhaps you've never considered such questions?
How is the Creator doing something awful to sentient being less of an atrocity than a human being doing it? If I could create a true, sentient AI, then I tortured it, that would be an atrocity.

William
Savant

Post #23

Post by William »

[Replying to help3434 in post #22]
How is the Creator doing something awful to sentient being less of an atrocity than a human being doing it?
I think that would depend on the nature of the Creator.
Even if we limit this creators omniness to a local event [life on Earth] and place the Creator within the planet [therefore giving the Creator form] and through the planet function, human form was brought into existence, the creator is being natural to the circumstance, whereas the human is not.

If I could create a true, sentient AI, then I tortured it, that would be an atrocity.
Lets call a long drawn-out slow death by cancer "torture". Under the natural circumstances, can we really call that an atrocity?

William
Savant

Post #24

Post by William »

[Replying to Clownboat in post #17]
Only when parents stop telling their children that there is a god that loves them so much as to send them to heaven, yet hates another so much as to send them to a hell will we ever stop the violence and bloodshed caused by such teachings.
That is an interesting opinion but is it really the case?

Why do you think things would change to such a degree simply by removing the 'problem' [as you describe] - what gives you that impression?

William
Savant

Post #25

Post by William »

[Replying to Rose2020 in post #16]
This is far above me to understand, but I can guess a bit. After all, look what we do, we are the cruelest of all living things. Anything that parasites and such do by instinctual programming, we can rival by deliberate intent. We blow each other up to bits, torture, kill, just to maintain territorial rights.
Why do you think the one must be programed while the other is not?

Why not think of the human epoch as being a means to another epoch [AI]?

Clownboat
Savant

Post #26

Post by Clownboat »

[Replying to Clownboat in post #17]
Only when parents stop telling their children that there is a god that loves them so much as to send them to heaven, yet hates another so much as to send them to a hell will we ever stop the violence and bloodshed caused by such teachings.
That is an interesting opinion but is it really the case?
Sure seems to be and I note you stated nothing to question its accuracy.
Why do you think things would change to such a degree simply by removing the 'problem' [as you describe] - what gives you that impression?
Hey son, God loves you and is going to send you to heaven. See William over there? God hates him and is going to send him to hell for eternity.

I trust that readers can see how indoctrinating children into having such a belief is not something healthy for humans that need to live together in a society. I'm shocked you don't see this yourself to be honest.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #27

Post by Inquirer »

help3434 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:30 pm
Inquirer wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:19 pm

That God is in control and nothing happens that God does not permit, is central theme in scripture, that you regard that as committing "atrocities" is not really rational, how can the creator of something commit an atrocity against it? perhaps you've never considered such questions?
How is the Creator doing something awful to sentient being less of an atrocity than a human being doing it? If I could create a true, sentient AI, then I tortured it, that would be an atrocity.
Well of course this all boils down to the definition of "atrocity" doesn't it. If you define appropriately then yes God commits atrocities if you define it some other way he does not.

Nobody has yet explained though how God can possibly do anything morally wrong, morality exists within human society which God created, how can one be accused of moral wrongdoing when one exists outside of that created system?

If I make a robot and amuse myself with it, then break it up one day because I want to, am I doing a moral wrong? Can a thing I create gain authority over me? tell me what is right and wrong?

brunumb
Savant

Post #28

Post by brunumb »

Inquirer wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:45 pm Nobody has yet explained though how God can possibly do anything morally wrong, morality exists within human society which God created, how can one be accused of moral wrongdoing when one exists outside of that created system?
We have a deity who creates sentient beings in its own image with feelings, conscience and sense of morality who then proceeds to have a relationship with these beings. It then decides that it can simply destroy these beings because it assumes a right to do so as their creator. Sorry, but that doesn't wash. God the father should have no more right to destroy his children than a human father has to destroy his or those of anyone else.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #29

Post by JoeyKnothead »

brunumb wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:31 pm
Inquirer wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:45 pm Nobody has yet explained though how God can possibly do anything morally wrong, morality exists within human society which God created, how can one be accused of moral wrongdoing when one exists outside of that created system?
We have a deity who creates sentient beings in its own image with feelings, conscience and sense of morality who then proceeds to have a relationship with these beings. It then decides that it can simply destroy these beings because it assumes a right to do so as their creator. Sorry, but that doesn't wash. God the father should have no more right to destroy his children than a human father has to destroy his or those of anyone else.
2,022 years since we started watching the clock, and this still hasta be told to presumably grown up folks.

When we worship something so much that we can excuse murder, we've lost our humanity.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

brunumb
Savant

Post #30

Post by brunumb »

I was just prompted to look up the definition of parasite:

- someone or something that resembles a biological parasite in living off of, being dependent on, or exploiting another while giving little or nothing in return.

Darned if Jehovah/Yahweh/God doesn't actually fit that definition.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.