Passing of Queen Elizabeth

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Passing of Queen Elizabeth

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

Wonderful woman, a great Queen who did her duty flawlessly. She now has eternal rest and leaves behind a great deal of genuine love and respect.

I however do not like Charles and his wife. I bet a lot of people have not forgotten their appalling behaviour. I predict he will not be a popular nor effective king. Only time will tell of course.

I have heard some say that Charles should allow William to become king - could that be possible and better? I personally would love to see William on the throne with his delightful wife Kate and their children as the top royals.
Last edited by Rose2020 on Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tcg
Savant

Re: Passing of Queen Elizabeth

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

Moderator Clarification

Topics created in any of the debate subforums need to include a question for debate. Please add one or the topic will be moved to a more appropriate subforum.

Rules

Moderator clarifications do not count as a strike against any posters. They serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received and/or are given at the discretion of a moderator when he or she feels a clarification of the rules is required.

[Replying to Rose2020 in post #1]

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by Difflugia »

Rose2020 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:01 amI predict he will not be a popular nor effective king.
What does an "effective king" do? What is a modern UK monarch's actual role in the government?
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #4

Post by Rose2020 »

I am not keen on seeing Camilla at his side. That pair treated Diana with callousness and the British public will not forget.
Putting personal happiness before duty is not good , especially in the royal family.

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:55 am I am not keen on seeing Camilla at his side. That pair treated Diana with callousness and the British public will not forget.
Putting personal happiness before duty is not good , especially in the royal family.
I'm with Difflugia on this. What exactly are the duties of these monarchs whether they be kings or queens? And why should that mysterious "duty" have priority over happiness? It seems that duty led Charles to marry someone who wasn't his true love, and we all know how that worked out for all three of them.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #6

Post by Rose2020 »

The duty of a monarch is clear, do as Queen Elizabeth did. She is the finest role model. She was strong, gracious and a great communicator, she represented our country in the best ways. She dealt with her family as a true mother. The country and world have lost a great presence.

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:36 pm The duty of a monarch is clear, do as Queen Elizabeth did. She is the finest role model. She was strong, gracious and a great communicator, she represented our country in the best ways. She dealt with her family as a true mother. The country and world have lost a great presence.
That doesn't answer the question. What were her duties which you claim should be an example for others to follow?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by Difflugia »

Rose2020 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:36 pmThe duty of a monarch is clear, do as Queen Elizabeth did.
But it's not clear. I didn't mean my question to be rhetorical. In a feudal monarchy, the monarch's duty is clear as the ultimate "lord of the manor." The monarch was ultimately responsible for the protection of the subjects of his or her sovereignty, but at the same time, "off with their heads" meant something.

With no intention of any implied rhetorical answer (let alone "nothing") what does a modern king or queen do?
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Miles
Savant

Post #9

Post by Miles »

Difflugia wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:18 pm
Rose2020 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:36 pmThe duty of a monarch is clear, do as Queen Elizabeth did.
But it's not clear. I didn't mean my question to be rhetorical. In a feudal monarchy, the monarch's duty is clear as the ultimate "lord of the manor." The monarch was ultimately responsible for the protection of the subjects of his or her sovereignty, but at the same time, "off with their heads" meant something.

With no intention of any implied rhetorical answer (let alone "nothing") what does a modern king or queen do?
.................. Image.......Image

oldbadger
Guru

Post #10

Post by oldbadger »

Difflugia wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:50 am
Rose2020 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:01 amI predict he will not be a popular nor effective king.
What does an "effective king" do? What is a modern UK monarch's actual role in the government?
The Queen's role in the UK government was to inspect all bills and acts if Parliament, advise PMs, even scold them when necessary. She could also depose PMs in certain situations.

But as a representative and diplomat she was amazing.

Her courage was outstanding, when insisting upon visiting countries in turmoil, and carrying out duties in public places .. .. when most world leaders were being seen behind armour glass she was riding high on horseback in very bright colours.

Most of the world's leaders will be at the funeral tomorrow, Monday.

But as the OP suggests, the Queen was more than a Monarch, and many if us here wonder who could follow her.... William and Kate could get close imo, but in a much reduced monarchy, us my opinion