Is it reasonable to believe in the Multiverse?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

historia
Prodigy

Post #1

Post by historia »

Note, the question here is not whether you think it is true that the Multiverse exists, but simply whether such a belief is reasonable or not.

historia
Prodigy

Re: Is it reasonable to believe in the Multiverse?

Post #71

Post by historia »

Inquirer wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:42 pm
Jose Fly wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:37 pm
Are you now saying the multiverse has a rational, mathematical basis?
Of course, why did you think otherwise?
Would you say, then, that it is reasonable to believe in the multiverse?

Even if not all physicists think it has explanatory value, is it at least a reasonable hypothesis?

historia
Prodigy

Post #72

Post by historia »

brunumb wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:10 am
Why Do Physicists Say A Multiverse Has To Exist?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswith ... 26a36b4727

Miles
Savant

Post #73

Post by Miles »

historia wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:50 am
Miles wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:04 am
No more so than believing in a parallel universe or in a god. Lacking any convincing evidence, none are reasonable beliefs.
What do you make, then, of the Forbes article that brunumb posted in post #22? It sets out to explain "why physicists overwhelmingly claim that a multiverse must exist."
Missed this entirely, but very interesting. Although Forbes is hardly a scientific magazine, none of its articles can be dismissed lightly, so I regard the explanation of the likelihood of a multiverse as given as quite credible. Far more credible than any explanation for the existence of god. ;)

Thanks for the heads up.

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #74

Post by Inquirer »

EarthScienceguy wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:25 pm [Replying to Clownboat in post #6]
They are silly because what is wrong with being accountable to a creator? Show me a creator to be accountable to and I'll do it. I know I can as I was accountable to the Christian god for 2 decades.
I guess you do not understand how deeply flawed the secular position is.

We can only observe one universe. If there is only one universe then there has to be a God, otherwise, there is no answer as to why the constants of nature have the values that they do. This is the reason why multiverse has gained popularity. Those that believe God created the universe believe in what can be observed and only one universe can be observed. If there is only one universe then God had to create it.

Secularists would have people believe in the unobservable there is no evidence of universes outside of our own. Just like there is no evidence of Santa being from the north pole. But what can you expect from someone who thinks they talk to Santa?

No God necessary.
Does this claim that all physicists say this or only some physicists say this? please, I'd like your answer to this question.

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #75

Post by Inquirer »

historia wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:58 am
Inquirer wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:42 pm
Jose Fly wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:37 pm
Are you now saying the multiverse has a rational, mathematical basis?
Of course, why did you think otherwise?

Even if not all physicists think it has explanatory value, is it at least a reasonable hypothesis?
It is reasonable, it is consistent with the mathematical laws but there are other interpretations too that deny a multiverse and are also consistent with the mathematics.

The problems in quantum physics are profound, do we observe reality or do we create reality from what we observe?

There are different interpretation - which one is "reality" when all of them can be justified by the same mathematical laws?

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #76

Post by Jose Fly »

historia wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:45 am Is it reasonable to believe in the multiverse?
I think that's largely a personal decision, and given the highly technical nature of the subject, one that the vast, vast majority of people aren't really qualified to make. So in most cases, the honest position is to just say "I don't really know much about that".
Being apathetic is great....or not. I don't really care.

Miles
Savant

Post #77

Post by Miles »

Inquirer wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:29 pm
EarthScienceguy wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:25 pm [Replying to Clownboat in post #6]
They are silly because what is wrong with being accountable to a creator? Show me a creator to be accountable to and I'll do it. I know I can as I was accountable to the Christian god for 2 decades.

We can only observe one universe. If there is only one universe then there has to be a God, otherwise, there is no answer as to why the constants of nature have the values that they do. This is the reason why multiverse has gained popularity. Those that believe God created the universe believe in what can be observed and only one universe can be observed. If there is only one universe then God had to create it.

Secularists would have people believe in the unobservable there is no evidence of universes outside of our own. Just like there is no evidence of Santa being from the north pole. But what can you expect from someone who thinks they talk to Santa?

No God necessary.
Does this claim that all physicists say this or only some physicists say this? please, I'd like your answer to this question.
The only mention in the linked article as to the number or percentage of physicists who claim a multiverse must exist is this remark:

"Here’s why physicists overwhelmingly claim that a multiverse must exist,"

which need only mean 51% do, although a more gracious estimate may put the lowest overwhelming figure at 55-60%. However, lacking any actual polled figure, the "overwhelmingly" may be nothing more than biased observation.

historia
Prodigy

Post #78

Post by historia »

Jose Fly wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:26 pm
historia wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:45 am
Is it reasonable to believe in the multiverse?
I think that's largely a personal decision, and given the highly technical nature of the subject, one that the vast, vast majority of people aren't really qualified to make.
Just to clarify, again, I'm not asking if you personally believe in the multiverse or not. I'm simply asking whether you think it's reasonable. One could remain unconvinced of a hypothesis and still find it reasonable.

According to the Forbes article above, a good number of astrophysicists believe in the multiverse. If we want to defer to the experts here -- always a good idea, I think -- wouldn't we therefore conclude that the hypothesis must be at least reasonable for so many experts to believe it?

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #79

Post by Jose Fly »

historia wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:40 am
Jose Fly wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:26 pm
historia wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:45 am
Is it reasonable to believe in the multiverse?
I think that's largely a personal decision, and given the highly technical nature of the subject, one that the vast, vast majority of people aren't really qualified to make.
Just to clarify, again, I'm not asking if you personally believe in the multiverse or not. I'm simply asking whether you think it's reasonable. One could remain unconvinced of a hypothesis and still find it reasonable.
And that's what I addressed. Whether one finds it "reasonable" is largely a subjective decision, and given its highly technical nature, one that most of us aren't really qualified to make.
According to the Forbes article above, a good number of astrophysicists believe in the multiverse. If we want to defer to the experts here -- always a good idea, I think -- wouldn't we therefore conclude that the hypothesis must be at least reasonable for so many experts to believe it?
I think it's reasonable to defer to the experts, or at the very least say "I don't know".
Being apathetic is great....or not. I don't really care.

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #80

Post by Inquirer »

Miles wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:48 pm
Inquirer wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:29 pm

No God necessary.
The only mention in the linked article as to the number or percentage of physicists who claim a multiverse must exist is this remark:

"Here’s why physicists overwhelmingly claim that a multiverse must exist,"

which need only mean 51% do, although a more gracious estimate may put the lowest overwhelming figure at 55-60%. However, lacking any actual polled figure, the "overwhelmingly" may be nothing more than biased observation.

The fact is some established theoretical physicists do adopt the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics and some adopt the Copenhagen interpretation, there are rather a lot of interpretations too, so "multiverse" is just one of several equally plausible possible interpretations.

Unfortunately it is mostly pure speculation, as has been said already there is no evidence supporting a multiverse and there are no experiments or predictions that can ever decide the matter.

So it is reasonable but it seems also just as reasonable to believe in a stochastic universe too, either interpretation is consistent with what we observe.