Is it reasonable to believe in the Multiverse?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

historia
Prodigy

Post #1

Post by historia »

Note, the question here is not whether you think it is true that the Multiverse exists, but simply whether such a belief is reasonable or not.

William
Savant

Re: Is it reasonable to believe in the Multiverse?

Post #2

Post by William »

[Replying to historia in post #1]

I think it is a reasonable concept but I don't think it would necessarily be reasonable to believe in it or that belief in it would have any notable consequence.

Miles
Savant

Post #3

Post by Miles »

historia wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:21 pm Is it reasonable to believe in the Multiverse?

Note, the question here is not whether you think it is true that the Multiverse exists, but simply whether such a belief is reasonable or not.
No more so than believing in a parallel universe or in a god. Lacking any convincing evidence, none are reasonable beliefs.

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Inquirer »

historia wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:21 pm Is it reasonable to believe in the Multiverse?

It depends who you ask.

Some theoretical physicists regard it as having explanatory value and others do not.

EarthScienceguy
Guru

Post #5

Post by EarthScienceguy »

[Replying to historia in post #1]

The multiverse theory is nothing more than man understanding that there has to be a God to create this universe because the multiverse has to have all of the characteristics of God.

1. Omnipotent (it must contain all energy)
2. Omnipresent (it must exist everywhere)

Secularists simply do not like the idea of a conscious creator because they would then be accountable to that Creator.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #6

Post by Clownboat »

EarthScienceguy wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:19 pm [Replying to historia in post #1]

The multiverse theory is nothing more than man understanding that there has to be a God to create this universe because the multiverse has to have all of the characteristics of God.

2. Omnipresent (it must exist everywhere)

Secularists simply do not like the idea of a conscious creator because they would then be accountable to that Creator.
Your words are silly!
They are silly because what is wrong with being accountable to a creator? Show me a creator to be accountable to and I'll do it. I know I can as I was accountable to the Christian god for 2 decades.

Hopefully you can see the silly in this statement:
EarthScienceguy, an adult, doesn't like the idea of Santa Clause because then he would be accountable to behaving good so he gets presents. You would be like: "hello, that's not why I reject Santa Clause" and I'll continue to claim it is because I only have silly arguments.

Thanks for the giggle though, I promise not to tell Santa on you. ;)
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Miles
Savant

Post #7

Post by Miles »

EarthScienceguy wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:19 pm [Replying to historia in post #1]

Really? I question this because those who have considered it (cosmologists, physicists, astronomers, etc.) have a far different understanding. Today it's typically considered to be a . . . .

". . . . hypothetical group of multiple universes. Together, these universes comprise everything that exists: the entirety of space, time, matter, energy, information, and the physical laws and constants that describe them. The different universes within the multiverse are called "parallel universes", "other universes", "alternate universes", or "many worlds". "
Source: Wikipedia

No mention of god at all in the article---check it out.

Sorry, but this isn't what the word means at all. Here;

"Omnipotent
(of a deity) having unlimited power; able to do anything."
Source: Oxford Languages Dictionary

Actually, Secularists simply do not accept the idea of a conscious creator because the evidence for it is lacking. And even if there was evidence for a conscious creator there would still need to be evidence that one should be accountable to it, and something far more persuasive than a fiction-filled book handing out absurd, contradictory claims.

EarthScienceguy
Guru

Post #8

[Replying to Miles in post #0]
". . . . hypothetical group of multiple universes. Together, these universes comprise everything that exists: the entirety of space, time, matter, energy, information, and the physical laws and constants that describe them. The different universes within the multiverse are called "parallel universes", "other universes", "alternate universes", or "many worlds". "
The multiverse belief (theory) is nothing more than a belief. What makes this pantheistic belief any more valid than the belief that God created the universe? It is pantheistic because they believe that the cosmos created everything. There is no evidence that there are universes outside of this universe. All that is certain is that something has to exist outside of this universe.
"Omnipotent
(of a deity) having unlimited power; able to do anything."
Source: Oxford Languages Dictionary
Whatever created this universe by definition has to contain all power. The multiverse belief is that the multiverse is infinite and teaming with life. How can you say that it is not alive? How can you say that this universe is not alive? Measurements cannot be made outside of this universe, because the laws of physics do not have to be the same outside of this universe.
Actually, Secularists simply do not accept the idea of a conscious creator because the evidence for it is lacking. And even if there was evidence for a conscious creator there would still need to be evidence that one should be accountable to it, and something far more persuasive than a fiction-filled book handing out absurd, contradictory claims.
Again something has to exist outside of this universe. Secularists cannot even prove that the universe we are living in is not a living thing. They say things like "the universe chose to reveal itself in this way or that. There is no data outside of this universe so everything is a belief. The multiverse theory is needed for any secular view of the creation of the universe to be valid. There is no reason for the constants of our universe to exist. If the constants of our universe were changed by even a little bit then there would be nothing in our universe. So the list of beliefs grows. For someone to believe in any type of secular theory creation they have to believe.
1. That there is an infinite number of other universes in the multiverse
2. In some of those universes the constants have the same value as the constants in our universe.
3. That the multiverse is infinite (entropy can move in both directions according to Caroll)
4. That the multiverse can spawn an infinite number of universes. (All powerful)

We can only observe this universe and if there is only one universe then the only answer to its being is God. Those that believe in the multiverse have to believe in something that is not observable.

EarthScienceguy
Guru

Post #9

[Replying to Clownboat in post #6]
They are silly because what is wrong with being accountable to a creator? Show me a creator to be accountable to and I'll do it. I know I can as I was accountable to the Christian god for 2 decades.
I guess you do not understand how deeply flawed the secular position is.

We can only observe one universe. If there is only one universe then there has to be a God, otherwise, there is no answer as to why the constants of nature have the values that they do. This is the reason why multiverse has gained popularity. Those that believe God created the universe believe in what can be observed and only one universe can be observed. If there is only one universe then God had to create it.

Secularists would have people believe in the unobservable there is no evidence of universes outside of our own. Just like there is no evidence of Santa being from the north pole. But what can you expect from someone who thinks they talk to Santa?

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #10

Post by Jose Fly »

Wow....I didn't know ESG was not just a cosmologist/theoretical physicist, but one of such prominence and expertise that everyone here should simply take his statements about the fields as unquestioned gospel.

How fortunate we are to have such an expert in this forum!
Being apathetic is great....or not. I don't really care.