Is it reasonable to believe in the Multiverse?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

historia
Prodigy

Post #1

Post by historia »

Note, the question here is not whether you think it is true that the Multiverse exists, but simply whether such a belief is reasonable or not.

historia
Prodigy

Re: Is it reasonable to believe in the Multiverse?

Post #101

Post by historia »

Inquirer wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:03 pm
historia wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:10 pm
Inquirer wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:38 pm
I think its far better to say "I have no idea" and only adopt a position when one has invested the time and effort necessary to comprehend the options.
I disagree. There are simply too many things in the world to know about to not rely upon the consensus of experts.
Right but consensus isn't the only option open to us as to what to believe.
Agreed!
There are also many historical examples of where that has led to problems.
Sure, and this is the point at which everyone who raises this objection points to Galileo.

But, before we get to that, let me give you as a counter-example the untold thousands of people today who believe all kinds of crazy nonsense and conspiracy theories because they "did their own research" on the Internet thinking they were smarter than the consensus of experts.

We as non-experts should always follow the consensus of experts, not because the consensus is always right (it isn't), but because it is more likely to be right than if we just strike out on our own, as we are far more likely to get things wrong, being non-experts and all.
Consider Galileo, would one have been right to disregard what he had to say just because there was a consensus at the time, that he was wrong?
If that "one" is just some farmer or mason, then, yes, they have no good reason to think Galileo is right and the other astronomers of their day are wrong.

But experts should always be open to new ideas. If Galileo has good arguments and evidence, then he (or his successors) may be able to sway the other experts, thereby changing the consensus -- which is what happened, of course.

At that point, our farmer and mason should change their views to match the consensus. Unless they know better, right?

AquinasForGod
Sage

Re: Is it reasonable to believe in the Multiverse?

Post #102

Post by AquinasForGod »

[Replying to historia in post #1]

It can be reasonable, depending on one's reason for believing in it.