Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Jesus prediction to return

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

Matthew 16 , verses 24 to 28.

In verse 28 Jesus says He will return within the lifetime of that generation. But that has not happened. What do we make of this?

Rose2020
Scholar

Re: Jesus prediction to return

Post #11

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to myth-one.com in post #10]

That is clearer thankyou. It is a matter of context, as most things are.

Miles
Savant

Post #12

Post by Miles »

myth-one.com wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:55 pm
Rose2020 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:21 pm Matthew 16 , verses 24 to 28.

In verse 28 Jesus says He will return within the lifetime of that generation. But that has not happened. What do we make of this?
Only God the Father knows the exact date of the Second Coming:
Then Jesus had no business opening his mouth. One has to wonder how many other times he misspoke and got it wrong, Obviously, just like his Father, Jesus is not above making mistakes. Think it's genetic?

But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father. (Mark 13:32)

Although only the Father knows the actual date, numerous signs will appear which indicate that the end is near: wars, rumors of wars, the antichrist, etc. When these signs appear, some of the generation alive at that time will live to see the Second Coming of Christ:
So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors. Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled. (Matthew 24:33-34)

This generation that shall not pass clearly refers to those in the generation which sees all the signs in the first sentence.
And the generation which sees all the signs is the generation of those Jesus was then addressing:

When one reads "this generation" the reader first must look back to see what "this" was referring to, and guess what that happens to be? It's the present "you," as in the generation of those Jesus was talking to. ("So also, when you see all these things, you know that he is near, at the very gates") Thing is, there is absolutely no indication that "this generation" refers to any other than the present generation of that time. In fact, the term "generation" is never mention in the chapter before it makes its solo appearance in verse 34.

Matthew 24:33-34
33 So also, when you see all these things, you know that he is near, at the very gates. 34 Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place.

And to clarify, some bibles don't even use the word "generation," and clearly reference those living at that very time.

ERV
34 I assure you that all these things will happen while some of the people of this time are still living.

CJB
33 Yes! I tell you that this people will certainly not pass away before all these things happen.

GNT
33 Remember that all these things will happen before the people now living have all died.

ICB
33 I tell you the truth. All these things will happen while the people of this time are still living!

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #13

Post by Difflugia »

Eddie Ramos wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:55 pmI suppose in this way of debating, you can make the Bible say whatever you want by ignoring whatever disagrees with you from the Bible, and still manage to save face by the claims you make. Too bad it's not the way to truth.
This is the clearest, most concise definition of sectarian Christian apologetics that I've seen in a while. Bravo.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Tcg
Savant

Post #14

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:56 am I could do with help understanding from a Christian who seriously studies the Bible. Someone whose ability is greater than mine.

My faith is not shaken but I am constantly seeking to know the truth. It is our duty to question and explore the scriptures.

Jesus was not mistaken, the Bible is the word of God. There will be a reason which I am not yet seeing.
You've got this backwards. You've chosen to believe that for which you've not found evidence of. Given that, of course you'll find some explanation you'll accept because you've accepted it before you've heard it.

It's not that you've put the cart before the horse. You've got no horse. It's as if you're sitting in the cart just waiting for someone to come along and pull it.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #15

Post by myth-one.com »

[Replying to Miles in post #12]

33 So also, when you see all these things, you know that he is near, at the very gates. 34 Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place.

When you see all the signs of the things which must occur before the Second Coming, then you will know that it is near.

I say to you, "this generation will not pass away until all these things take place."

<=========================================>

One sign that the Second Coming is near is that the gospel must first be preached in the entire world before the end of this age, the age of man, occurs:

Matthew 24:14
And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

Mark 13:10
And the gospel must first be published among all nations.

The "great commission" commands Christians to spread the gospel among all nations:

Matthew 28:19-20
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

However, even with satellites and television, will we ever spread the true gospel among all nations and fulfill the great commission? Obviously not, since God has to send an angel to fulfill this prophecy before the end of this age can occur:

Revelation 14:6
And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people.

Since the gospel will not be spread to all the world until shortly before the Second Coming, the group which Jesus was speaking to in Matthew 24:33-34 is not the generation which will see all the signs.

The "you" which will be alive to see the Second Coming will be those living humans which will have confirmation that all events prophesized to occur before the Second Coming can occur -- have occurred.

Miles
Savant

Post #16

Post by Miles »

myth-one.com wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:40 am [Replying to Miles in post #12]

When you see all the signs of the things which must occur before the Second Coming, then you will know that it is near.

I say to you, "this generation will not pass away until all these things take place."

<=========================================>

One sign that the Second Coming is near is that the gospel must first be preached in the entire world before the end of this age, the age of man, occurs:

Matthew 24:14
And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

Mark 13:10
And the gospel must first be published among all nations.

The "great commission" commands Christians to spread the gospel among all nations:

Matthew 28:19-20
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

However, even with satellites and television, will we ever spread the true gospel among all nations and fulfill the great commission? Obviously not, since God has to send an angel to fulfill this prophecy before the end of this age can occur:

Revelation 14:6
And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people.

Since the gospel will not be spread to all the world until shortly before the Second Coming, the group which Jesus was speaking to in Matthew 24:33-34 is not the generation which will see all the signs.

The "you" which will be alive to see the Second Coming will be those living humans which will have confirmation that all events prophesized to occur before the Second Coming can occur -- have occurred.
But none of this changes the fact that Jesus, your lord and savior, mistakenly said:

CJB
Yes! I tell you that this people will certainly not pass away before all these things happen.

ERV
I assure you that all these things will happen while some of the people of this time are still living.

GNT
Remember that all these things will happen before the people now living have all died.

ICB
I tell you the truth. All these things will happen while the people of this time are still living!

TLB
Then at last this age will come to its close.

NIRV
What I’m about to tell you is true. The people living now will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.

NLV
For sure, I tell you, the people of this day will not pass away before all these things have happened.

WE
I tell you the truth. The people who are living then, will not die before all these things happen.

All of which defines the generation he was talking about in verses such as:

Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

as that of the "people living now."

But go ahead and pretend Jesus said no such thing if you must, however, you aren't fooling anyone else. We all understand English.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #17

Post by myth-one.com »

Miles wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:00 pm But none of this changes the fact that Jesus, your lord and savior, mistakenly said:

WE
I tell you the truth. The people who are living then, will not die before all these things happen.
There is no mistake in the above verse.

It identifies the generation that shall not pass as those who are living at that moment in the future (then) -- and not the generation Jesus was conversing with.

brunumb
Savant

Post #18

Post by brunumb »

Eddie Ramos wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:29 pm The Bible teaches us that every time people took Christ's words at face value and applied their own logic to it, they were always incorrect in their conclusion. This passage is no different. Christ always spoke in parables, so we don't take his words at face value, but rather we search the scriptures for what he meant by what he said.
[My bolding]

That means any time a Christian quotes Christ's words to us and expects us to accept them at face value we should disregard them and look for some other meaning. Sounds useful. Thank you for the advice.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

tam
Savant

Post #19

Post by tam »

Peace to you Rose,
Rose2020 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:21 pm Matthew 16 , verses 24 to 28.

I am linking to a couple of posts from similar threads that I hope may help:

viewtopic.php?p=783823#p783823

viewtopic.php?p=941322#p941322

The links discuss both concerns: ("some standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in His Kingdom"... and... "this generation will not pass away until all these things have happened").

Peace again to you!
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

Miles
Savant

Post #20

Post by Miles »

myth-one.com wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:43 pm
Miles wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:00 pm But none of this changes the fact that Jesus, your lord and savior, mistakenly said:

WE
There is no mistake in the above verse.
It identifies the generation that shall not pass as those who are living at that moment in the future (then) -- and not the generation Jesus was conversing with.
Granted this verse is not as straightforward as some of the others, but it doesn't say a thing about any generation, so you can't simply plop "generation" in to help you out. All it identifies are those "living then." A "then" that can't be anything but the time of those people previously mentioned, which happens to be you. "33 It is the same when you see all these things. You will know that the time is very near, right at the door." The "you" (people) he is speaking to at that very time.

And, you're still left to explain the other mistaken verses:

CJB
Yes! I tell you that this people will certainly not pass away before all these things happen.

ERV
I assure you that all these things will happen while some of the people of this time are still living.

GNT
Remember that all these things will happen before the people now living have all died.

ICB
I tell you the truth. All these things will happen while the people of this time are still living!

NIRV
What I’m about to tell you is true. The people living now will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.

NLV
For sure, I tell you, the people of this day will not pass away before all these things have happened.

/
Last edited by Miles on Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.