Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Jesus prediction to return

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

Matthew 16 , verses 24 to 28.

In verse 28 Jesus says He will return within the lifetime of that generation. But that has not happened. What do we make of this?

Miles
Savant

Re: Jesus prediction to return

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Rose2020 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:21 pm Matthew 16 , verses 24 to 28.

In verse 28 Jesus says He will return within the lifetime of that generation. But that has not happened. What do we make of this?
1. The writer of the claim accidentally misquoted Jesus.

2. The writer of the claim purposely misquoted Jesus. He is lying.

3. The writer of the claim fabricated the whole thing out of whole cloth. He is lying.

4. The writer of the claim quoted Jesus properly, but Jesus was lying.

5. The writer of the claim quoted Jesus properly, but Jesus purposely exaggerated. (Pretty much the same as lying).

6. The writer of the claim quoted Jesus properly, but Jesus was demented.

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

Post #3

Post by Eddie Ramos »

Miles wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:48 pm

3. The writer of the claim fabricated the whole thing out of whole cloth. He is lying.

5. The writer of the claim quoted Jesus properly, but Jesus purposely exaggerated. (Pretty much the same as lying).

7. The writer of the scriptures was God himself and he spoke in parables to make unbelievers think the Bible is a book of foolishness. And thus far, it has done just that.

Matthew 13:10-11 (KJV) 10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables? 11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

Matthew 13:13 (KJV) 13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

Matthew 13:34 (KJV) 34 All these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake he not unto them:

To keep it short, Christ meant, "this generation I am speaking of, during the time if great tribulation, shall not pass away till be fulfilled".

The Bible teaches us that every time people took Christ's words at face value and applied their own logic to it, they were always incorrect in their conclusion. This passage is no different. Christ always spoke in parables, so we don't take his words at face value, but rather we search the scriptures for what he meant by what he said.

Proverbs 1:6 (KJV)
6 To understand a proverb, and the interpretation;
the words of the wise, and their dark sayings

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

Eddie Ramos wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:29 pm

7. The writer of the scriptures was God himself and he spoke in parables to make unbelievers think the Bible is a book of foolishness. And thus far, it has done just that.
But this is no parable. Just a bad prediction..... You do know what a parable is, don't you?

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

Post #5

Post by Eddie Ramos »

Miles wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:09 pm

But this is no parable. Just a bad prediction..... You do know what a parable is, don't you?

So, I showed you from the scriptures that Jesus did not speak without parables. You then decided to ignore it and say that this is not a parable. I'm guessing it's because you think you know better than the Bible.

I suppose in this way of debating, you can make the Bible say whatever you want by ignoring whatever disagrees with you from the Bible, and still manage to save face by the claims you make. Too bad it's not the way to truth.

Miles
Savant

Post #6

Post by Miles »

Eddie Ramos wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:55 pm
Miles wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:09 pm

So, I showed you from the scriptures that Jesus did not speak without parables. You then decided to ignore it and say that this is not a parable. I'm guessing it's because you think you know better than the Bible.
Well, I'm certainly educated enough to tell a parable from instruction, rhetorical questions, and prediction. As for your attempt to show that Jesus did not speak without parables, it ranks right down there with your understanding of the nature of a parable.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #7

Post by Rose2020 »

I could do with help understanding from a Christian who seriously studies the Bible. Someone whose ability is greater than mine.

My faith is not shaken but I am constantly seeking to know the truth. It is our duty to question and explore the scriptures.

Jesus was not mistaken, the Bible is the word of God. There will be a reason which I am not yet seeing.

Savant

Post #8

Post by 1213 »

Then Jesus said to his disciples, “If anyone desires to come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, and whoever will lose his life for my sake will find it. For what will it profit a man, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his life? Or what will a man give in exchange for his life? For the Son of Man will come in the glory of his Father with his angels, and then he will render to everyone according to his deeds. Most assuredly I tell you, there are some standing here who will in no way taste of death, until they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”
Mat. 16:24-28

Came true few days later when this happened:

After six days, Jesus took with him Peter, James, and John his brother, and brought them up into a high mountain by themselves. He was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his garments became as white as the light. Behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them talking with him.
Mat. 17:1-3

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #9

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to 1213 in post #8]

That is wonderful but doesn't answer my question. Jesus sounds to me like He predicted His return to be within that generation. Yet 2000 years later, with a world more wicked than ever, He has not come. I wish He would.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #10

Post by myth-one.com »

Only God the Father knows the exact date of the Second Coming:

But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father. (Mark 13:32)

Although only the Father knows the actual date, numerous signs will appear which indicate that the end is near: wars, rumors of wars, the antichrist, etc. When these signs appear, some of the generation alive at that time will live to see the Second Coming of Christ:

So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors. Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled. (Matthew 24:33-34)

This generation that shall not pass clearly refers to those in the generation which sees all the signs in the first sentence.