The Bible

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

The Bible

Post #1

Post by William »

This Thread was created in part through my being inspired by recent conversation with a Christian.

Can folk agree with the following;

The Bible contains a collection of stories about Humans who claim to be inspired by their relationship with the creator [YVHV] of creation. [The Universe]

Re that, can it then be agreed, that is what is meant by the Bible being "inspired by YVHV." and that the implication from that, is that YVHV can be considered 'The Author'.

Can it be agreed that YVHV being The Author of a collection of stories that were written by folk inspired by their relationship with YVHV, that as a device, the Bible is inadequate in producing relationship between the individual and YVHV.

Re that above - in other words - is it reasonable for the reader of the stories to assume that they can know YVHV through personal relationship, simply through believing in the stories of others inspired by YVHV?

Is it even possible for a reader to form and sustain a relationship with ANY author of any book ever written, simply by reading the book?

kjw47
Under Probation

Re: The Bible

Post #2

Post by kjw47 »

William wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:57 pm This Thread was created in part through my being inspired by recent conversation with a Christian.

The Bible contains a collection of stories about Humans who claim to be inspired by their relationship with the creator [YVHV] of creation. [The Universe]

Re that, can it then be agreed, that is what is meant by the Bible being "inspired by YVHV." and that the implication from that, is that YVHV can be considered 'The Author'.

Can it be agreed that YVHV being The Author of a collection of stories that were written by folk inspired by their relationship with YVHV, that as a device, the Bible is inadequate in producing relationship between the individual and YVHV.

Re that above - in other words - is it reasonable for the reader of the stories to assume that they can know YVHV through personal relationship, simply through believing in the stories of others inspired by YVHV?

Is it even possible for a reader to form and sustain a relationship with ANY author of any book ever written, simply by reading the book?

The bible is much different than a fiction story. Its the reality of human history. One can see what God accepts and dislikes, a basis to build a personal relationship with him.

William
Savant

Post #3

Post by William »

[Replying to kjw47 in post #2]
The bible is much different than a fiction story. Its the reality of human history.
Irrelevant as the OP is not asking for debate as to whether the collective writings of the book are fact or fiction.
One can see what YVHV accepts and dislikes, a basis to build a personal relationship with him.
So your answer to the question;

"is it reasonable for the reader of the stories to assume that they can know YVHV through personal relationship, simply through believing in the stories of others inspired by YVHV,"

is "yes"?

You believe it is possible for a reader to form and sustain a relationship with ANY author of any book ever written, simply by reading the book?

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

kjw47 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:36 pm
William wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:57 pm This Thread was created in part through my being inspired by recent conversation with a Christian.

The bible is much different than a fiction story. Its the reality of human history.
One can see what God accepts and dislikes, a basis to build a personal relationship with him.
I see he accepts slavery and really dislikes guys having sex with one other. I wonder why that is. Why does god dislike practicing homosexual men so much that he wants them dead? AND, how do these two feelings of his help form a basis for building a personal relationship with him?

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by Difflugia »

William wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:57 pmIs it even possible for a reader to form and sustain a relationship with ANY author of any book ever written, simply by reading the book?
Depending on how you define some of those terms, if you ask questions of the author in your mind and then convince yourself that the answers that you supply yourself are from the author, you might describe that to others as having a relationship.

"Samuel Clemens?"

"Yes, Difflugia? By the way, thank you for getting my name right. That pleases me so much. The others around you are far less pleasing to me. You are my favorite of all of them."

"I'm unsure of how to proceed in my life. I'm confused. What is your will for me?"

"Burn them all, Difflugia. I love them, but they will pay for ther terpitudes and shenanigans. You shall be my holy instrument. Burn them all."

"Your will be done, Samuel Clemens. They will weep as they learn, Samuel Clemens. I love and cherish our relationship."
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

William
Savant

Post #6

Post by William »

[Replying to Difflugia in post #5]

In case case of YVHV and for the sake of argument, unlike your relationship with Samuel Clemens, you might think you can develop a relationship with the author through the stories of the characters the author writes of, many glorifying Samuel Clemens [if that be the case] in their own rendition of their own relationship with Samuel Clemens - but this would not mean that Samuel Clemens is aware of and reciprocating for the purpose of the building of the relationship between you both.

In that, it would be a one-sided relationship where you think you are having a relationship with Samuel Clemens but Samuel Clemens doesn't even know you exist, let alone has any relationship with you.

And in that, the differences between your Samuel Clemens analogy and the Bible and YVVHVV renders you analogy inaccurate.

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #7

Post by kjw47 »

William wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:55 pm [Replying to kjw47 in post #2]
Irrelevant as the OP is not asking for debate as to whether the collective writings of the book are fact or fiction.
One can see what YVHV accepts and dislikes, a basis to build a personal relationship with him.
So your answer to the question;

"is it reasonable for the reader of the stories to assume that they can know YVHV through personal relationship, simply through believing in the stories of others inspired by YVHV,"

is "yes"?

You believe it is possible for a reader to form and sustain a relationship with ANY author of any book ever written, simply by reading the book?

No authors did not put personal things into their writings, except maybe biographys. God showed all what he accepts and what he does not accept. Showed all how loving he is like a Father.

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #8

Post by kjw47 »

Miles wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:06 am

One can see what God accepts and dislikes, a basis to build a personal relationship with him.
I see he accepts slavery and really dislikes guys having sex with one other. I wonder why that is. Why does god dislike practicing homosexual men so much that he wants them dead? AND, how do these two feelings of his help form a basis for building a personal relationship with him?

All sex out of marriage is condemned. Man with woman, or homosexuals. 1Cor 6:9-11-- Those are things Gods adversary wants mortals to do. That is one reason why God dislikes those things. And God tells us things to benefit us, not him. He sees a clear picture, we see little.

Miles
Savant

Post #9

Post by Miles »

kjw47 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:43 pm

All sex out of marriage is condemned. Man with woman, or homosexuals. 1Cor 6:9-11-- Those are things Gods adversary wants mortals to do. That is one reason why God dislikes those things. And God tells us things to benefit us, not him. He sees a clear picture, we see little.
You do realize, do you not, that homosexuals can be married, and in churches no less. Went to just such a church wedding about four or five years ago.

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #10

Post by kjw47 »

Miles wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:59 pm
kjw47 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:43 pm

You do realize, do you not, that homosexuals can be married, and in churches no less. Went to just such a church wedding about four or five years ago.

In the view of man that can occur. But God created them, male and Female. When the bible condemns homosexuality, no religion that knows God does things like that. Those in desperate need of $$$$ do things like that. Not all is as appears in a satan ruled world-2Cor 11:12-15.