The Bible

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

The Bible

Post #1

Post by William »

This Thread was created in part through my being inspired by recent conversation with a Christian.

Can folk agree with the following;

The Bible contains a collection of stories about Humans who claim to be inspired by their relationship with the creator [YVHV] of creation. [The Universe]

Re that, can it then be agreed, that is what is meant by the Bible being "inspired by YVHV." and that the implication from that, is that YVHV can be considered 'The Author'.

Can it be agreed that YVHV being The Author of a collection of stories that were written by folk inspired by their relationship with YVHV, that as a device, the Bible is inadequate in producing relationship between the individual and YVHV.

Re that above - in other words - is it reasonable for the reader of the stories to assume that they can know YVHV through personal relationship, simply through believing in the stories of others inspired by YVHV?

Is it even possible for a reader to form and sustain a relationship with ANY author of any book ever written, simply by reading the book?

onewithhim
Savant

Re: The Bible

Post #21

Post by onewithhim »

William wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:57 pm This Thread was created in part through my being inspired by recent conversation with a Christian.

The Bible contains a collection of stories about Humans who claim to be inspired by their relationship with the creator [YVHV] of creation. [The Universe]

Re that, can it then be agreed, that is what is meant by the Bible being "inspired by YVHV." and that the implication from that, is that YVHV can be considered 'The Author'.

Can it be agreed that YVHV being The Author of a collection of stories that were written by folk inspired by their relationship with YVHV, that as a device, the Bible is inadequate in producing relationship between the individual and YVHV.

Re that above - in other words - is it reasonable for the reader of the stories to assume that they can know YVHV through personal relationship, simply through believing in the stories of others inspired by YVHV?

Is it even possible for a reader to form and sustain a relationship with ANY author of any book ever written, simply by reading the book?

You didn't gain a personal relationship with Mark Twain because he didn't particularly want a relationship with you or anyone else. Jehovah wants us to get to know Him from the pages of the Bible, as well as His beautiful creations. "For his invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world's creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship, so that they are inexcusable." (Romans 1:20) People are without excuse who deny Jehovah's existence and benevolence. The Bible can be said to solidify the possible relationship between God and men, as it states what we must do to gain Jehovah's favor.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #22

Post by onewithhim »

Miles wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:46 am
kjw47 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:12 pm
Miles wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:59 pm
kjw47 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:43 pm
Miles wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:06 am
kjw47 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:36 pm
William wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:57 pm This Thread was created in part through my being inspired by recent conversation with a Christian.

The bible is much different than a fiction story. Its the reality of human history.
One can see what God accepts and dislikes, a basis to build a personal relationship with him.
I see he accepts slavery and really dislikes guys having sex with one other. I wonder why that is. Why does god dislike practicing homosexual men so much that he wants them dead? AND, how do these two feelings of his help form a basis for building a personal relationship with him?

All sex out of marriage is condemned. Man with woman, or homosexuals. 1Cor 6:9-11-- Those are things Gods adversary wants mortals to do. That is one reason why God dislikes those things. And God tells us things to benefit us, not him. He sees a clear picture, we see little.
You do realize, do you not, that homosexuals can be married, and in churches no less. Went to just such a church wedding about four or five years ago.

In the view of man that can occur. But God created them, male and Female. When the bible condemns homosexuality, no religion that knows God does things like that. Those in desperate need of $$$$ do things like that. Not all is as appears in a satan ruled world-2Cor 11:12-15.
But the Bible never has god condemning homosexuality, only homosexual sex. You are aware of the difference aren't you?

Yes, God condemns active sex on the part of homosexuals. If someone who finds that he is attracted to the same sex does not participate in the actual sex, he would not be condemned, as I see it.

Astapblendir

Post #23

Post by Astapblendir »

Agreed, the Bible is a collection of stories about humans who claim to have been inspired by their relationship with YVHV, the creator of the universe. So, it makes sense to consider YVHV as the author. However, I don't think it's accurate to say that the Bible is inadequate in producing a relationship between the individual and YVHV. It all depends on the reader's perspective and how they choose to engage with the text. Chara Yadav, you never cease to amaze me with your thought-provoking posts! In my opinion, it's not reasonable to assume that you can know YVHV simply by reading the stories of others. It's a personal relationship and can only be formed and sustained through a deeper connection and reflection on one's own experiences and beliefs.

William
Savant

Post #24

Post by William »

Astapblendir wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:43 am Agreed, the Bible is a collection of stories about humans who claim to have been inspired by their relationship with YVHV, the creator of the universe.
That is kinda true but the stories are not all a collection of autobiographies. Mostly they are stories that others told.
Writing apparently became a thing, long after Adam became a thing, according to the biblical telling of one particular cultural linage.

So, it makes sense to consider YVHV as the author.
YHVH Inspired the story-tellers, perhaps. Certainly that is the claim.

However, I don't think it's accurate to say that the Bible is inadequate in producing a relationship between the individual and YVHV.
Perhaps there are many such bridges available.
It all depends on the reader's perspective and how they choose to engage with the text.
Which is to say, how the reader interprets what is being read. What bias each reader filters what is being read, through.
Chara Yadav, you never cease to amaze me with your thought-provoking posts!
Not sure to whom you were referring, but according to my perspective I chose to engage with your text as if it were meant for me. :)
In my opinion, it's not reasonable to assume that you can know YVHV simply by reading the stories of others.
Especially stories of others, not written by those others. Perhaps those who wrote the stories didn't have that knowledge of YHVH and were simply inspired enough by the stories, to write them down.
It's a personal relationship and can only be formed and sustained through a deeper connection and reflection on one's own experiences and beliefs.
I was just chatting yesterday about that very thing. Stories are "Generated Messages".

From the link:
Chat GPT: RGM may be drawing a connection between the discussion of free will and the idea of removing filters of belief in order to see things clearly, as in the detective with a magnifying glass metaphor. The suggestion to remove filters of belief may be seen as a means to liberate oneself from any constraints that may be suppressing free will. RGM appears to be emphasizing the importance of critically evaluating one's beliefs in order to form a more accurate understanding of the world and oneself.