Where is the Ark of the Covenant?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

dad1
Under Suspension

Where is the Ark of the Covenant?

Post #1

Post by dad1 »

The book of Revelation talks of the ark in heaven. If that is where it is, why is there so much talk about finding it and where it is?
Could claims that the ark was not in Herod's temple be fake news?
Seems like a lot of room for discussion

Revelation 11:19

And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple the ark of his testament: and there were lightnings, and voices, and thunderings, and an earthquake, and great hail.

Miles
Savant

Re: Where is the Ark of the Covenant?

Post #2

Post by Miles »

...................Image

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #3

Post by myth-one.com »

Miles wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:53 pm Got a kick out of your scene from the end of the movie "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

In the start of that movie the brilliant archaeologist Indiana Jones informs two government agents that Moses smashed into pieces the two stone tablets on which were written the Ten Commandments. He is correct thus far. He continues to explain that they "took the pieces and put them in the ark."

Wrong! Why would they not place the unbroken identical second copy of the Ten Commandments into the ark? This is precisely what is reported in the Bible.

dad1
Under Suspension

Post #4

Post by dad1 »

myth-one.com wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:55 pm
Miles wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:53 pm Got a kick out of your scene from the end of the movie "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

In the start of that movie the brilliant archaeologist Indiana Jones informs two government agents that Moses smashed into pieces the two stone tablets on which were written the Ten Commandments. He is correct thus far. He continues to explain that they "took the pieces and put them in the ark."

Wrong! Why would they not place the unbroken identical second copy of the Ten Commandments into the ark? This is precisely what is reported in the Bible.
When the ark was allowed to be captured by enemies one time, God arranged for them to be so scared that they sent the ark back to Israel. I do not see God allowing anyone to have His ark. As the OP says, the ark is in heaven. Safe and secure.

The ark was almost certainly in Herod's temple. (just ask anyone for evidence it was not and watch the fail) The moment Jesus died, God Himself from heaven ripped the veil of the holy of holies (where the ark was kept) and took the ark to heaven.

There is said to have also been an exact replica of it made in the days of Solomon that made it's way to Ethiopia.

There was also some rumors that that Ethiopian ark made it's way back to Israel in the airlifts to Israel that brought the Ethiopian Jews to Israel.

In any case, if the ark is claimed to be in the new temple one day in Israel, I will know it is a fake.

Miles
Savant

Post #5

Post by Miles »

myth-one.com wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:55 pm

Artistic license?

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #6

Post by myth-one.com »

[Replying to dad1 in post #1]
Here's a quick history of the contents of the Ark of the Covenant:

And the Lord said unto Moses, Come up to me into the mount, and be there: and I will give thee tables of stone, and a law, and commandments which I have written; that thou mayest teach them. (Exodus 24:12)

And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God. (Exodus 31:18)

And Moses turned, and went down from the mount, and the two tables of the testimony were in his hand: the tables were written on both their sides; on the one side and on the other were they written. (Exodus 32:15)

And it came to pass, as soon as he came nigh unto the camp, that he saw the calf, and the dancing: and Moses' anger waxed hot, and he cast the tables out of his hands, and brake them beneath the mount. (Exodus 32:19)

<=============================================>

The verses describing the creation of the second set of tables are separated in the book of Exodus. These verses are Exodus 34:1, 34:4, 34:28, and 40:20. Let me quote here the same story as described in the book of Deuteronomy, which are sequential verses:

At that time the Lord said unto me, Hew thee two tables of stone like unto the first and come up unto me into the mount, and make thee an ark of wood. And I will write on the tables the words that were in the first tables which thou brakest, and thou shalt put them in the ark. And I made an ark of shittim wood, and hewed two tables of stone like unto the first, and went up into the mount, having the two tables in mine hand. And he wrote on the tables, according to the first writing, the ten commandments, which the Lord spake unto you in the mount out of the midst of the fire in the day of the assembly: and the Lord gave them unto me. And I turned myself and came down from the mount, and put the tables in the ark which I had made; and there they be, as the Lord commanded me. (Deuteronomy 10:1-5)

So the intact second copy of the stone tables containing the Ten Commandments was placed into the ark. Each table had writing on both sides.

dad1
Under Suspension

Post #7

Post by dad1 »

myth-one.com wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:17 pm [Replying to dad1 in post #1]
Here's a quick history of the contents of the Ark of the Covenant:

And the Lord said unto Moses, Come up to me into the mount, and be there: and I will give thee tables of stone, and a law, and commandments which I have written; that thou mayest teach them. (Exodus 24:12)

And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God. (Exodus 31:18)

And Moses turned, and went down from the mount, and the two tables of the testimony were in his hand: the tables were written on both their sides; on the one side and on the other were they written. (Exodus 32:15)

And it came to pass, as soon as he came nigh unto the camp, that he saw the calf, and the dancing: and Moses' anger waxed hot, and he cast the tables out of his hands, and brake them beneath the mount. (Exodus 32:19)

<=============================================>

The verses describing the creation of the second set of tables are separated in the book of Exodus. These verses are Exodus 34:1, 34:4, 34:28, and 40:20. Let me quote here the same story as described in the book of Deuteronomy, which are sequential verses:

At that time the Lord said unto me, Hew thee two tables of stone like unto the first and come up unto me into the mount, and make thee an ark of wood. And I will write on the tables the words that were in the first tables which thou brakest, and thou shalt put them in the ark. And I made an ark of shittim wood, and hewed two tables of stone like unto the first, and went up into the mount, having the two tables in mine hand. And he wrote on the tables, according to the first writing, the ten commandments, which the Lord spake unto you in the mount out of the midst of the fire in the day of the assembly: and the Lord gave them unto me. And I turned myself and came down from the mount, and put the tables in the ark which I had made; and there they be, as the Lord commanded me. (Deuteronomy 10:1-5)

So the intact second copy of the stone tables containing the Ten Commandments was placed into the ark. Each table had writing on both sides.
OK, so does that help tell us where the ark is?

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #8

Post by myth-one.com »

dad1 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:16 pm OK, so does that help tell us where the ark is?
No, but what is more important, the container or its contents?

The wording on the stone tables have been duplicated probably billions of times in Bibles.

dad1
Under Suspension

Post #9

Post by dad1 »

myth-one.com wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:23 pm
dad1 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:16 pm OK, so does that help tell us where the ark is?

The wording on the stone tables have been duplicated probably billions of times in Bibles.
There are probably a lot of little box like things also. Like a child's coffin. That has nothing to do with where the ark is. The ark was more than tablets of stone. The contents are exactly where the ark is! So where do you think it is? Oh and by the way, the presence of God was more important than the contents of the ark.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #10

Post by myth-one.com »

dad1 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:34 pm
myth-one.com wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:23 pm

There are probably a lot of little box like things also. Like a child's coffin. That has nothing to do with where the ark is. The ark was more than tablets of stone. The contents are exactly where the ark is! So where do you think it is?
It's around the contents. Find the contents and you find the Ark.
dad1 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:34 pmOh and by the way, the presence of God was more important than the contents of the ark.
God is everywhere.