Why Would God Use an Intermediary and Ancient Scribes

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Diogenes
Guru

Why Would God Use an Intermediary and Ancient Scribes

Post #1

Post by Diogenes »

Why would a being so vast and powerful that it could create not just our entire world just by thinking it so, but the universe as well, why would such an entity rely on an ancient nomadic tribe and copies of copies, translations of translations by dozens of different authors to communicate with us?

Such an all powerful and unimaginable intelligence could easily communicate with each and every individual directly and continuously. 'Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? And not one of them is forgotten before God. Why, even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not; you are of more value than many sparrows.

__ Luke 12:6-7
For debate: Isn't it unreasonable to think a God that created the universe would rely upon a scattering of ancient authors to communicate his most import message to all of humanity?

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

Diogenes
Guru

Re: Why Would God Use an Intermediary and Ancient Scribes

Post #11

Post by Diogenes »

1213 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:09 am

What I meant with remaining in truth doesn't require person hears everything. And I think the main point is to be honest to oneself. For example not claim to know something that one doesn't really know. Not being convinced of something is not the problem, being dishonest is.
That is precisely why I am not a Christian and do no believe in the supernatural. After my childhood indoctrination and genuine love of Jesus of Nazareth, I had to admit he was just a good man, not God. I'd love to believe in a god who gave me life after death, paradise forever. I'd love to believe I'd see my dead friends and family again. I'd cherish the idea of greeting Mr. Bradley Castle, my high school biology teacher, and thank him for being such a great teacher. I love the idea of prayers of healing, especially for those close to me who were confined to wheelchairs for 60 years despite thousands of prayers on their behalf.

I have every reason to believe.

All it would require is personal dishonesty.

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

POI
Prodigy

Post #12

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:09 am Not being convinced of something is not the problem, being dishonest is.
In staying true to the OP, here's what the scribes say:

"19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse."

Your above assertion, in red, is possibly in direct contradiction to what the Bible states.

So I now have to ask:

A) Are all atheist liars, and atheists are not really atheists?

or

B) Were the scribes wrong?

I do not see another option here?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Miles
Savant

Post #13

Post by Miles »

1213 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:09 am
Miles wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:07 pm And what of those poor souls who never heard of the truth, OR who were so poorly taught that they remain unconvinced? Not all preachers are the same by a long shot, and not all prospective believers come equally ready to believe. ...
What I meant with remaining in truth doesn't require person hears everything. And I think the main point is to be honest to oneself. For example not claim to know something that one doesn't really know. Not being convinced of something is not the problem, being dishonest is.
So what if that honesty leads one to legitimately reject the so-called truth as bogus for whatever he feels is a good reason? For instance:, no one has ever convinced him it was valid? Should he be saddles with the failure of inept teachers? Doesn't seem fair to me. How about to you?

Savant

Post #14

Post by 1213 »

Miles wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:43 pm ...
So what if that honesty leads one to legitimately reject the so-called truth as bogus for whatever he feels is a good reason? ...
If there is legitimate true reason, then it is not a problem.

Savant

Post #15

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:51 pm A) Are all atheist liars, and atheists are not really atheists?
Maybe, I don't know enough to say.
POI wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:51 pmB) Were the scribes wrong?
No.

Savant

Post #16

Post by 1213 »

Diogenes wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:00 am ....Jesus of Nazareth, I had to admit he was just a good man, not God. ..
Did you not read the Bible that says Jesus is a man:

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
1 Timothy 2:5

But, if you are honest and not evil liar, I think that is good.

POI
Prodigy

Post #17

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:53 am
POI wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:51 pm A) Are all atheist liars, and atheists are not really atheists?
Maybe, I don't know enough to say.
POI wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:51 pmB) Were the scribes wrong?
No.
If the scribes are never wrong, then there exists no such thing as atheists, right?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."