The thief on the cross misconceptions

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

DJT_47
Student

The thief on the cross misconceptions

Post #1

Post by DJT_47 »

I continually encounter people trying to justify that baptism is not an absolute necessity for one's salvation by use (erroneously) of the thief on the cross as justification, as he was not baptized but yet saved by the Lord, which is true! BUT, the error in this is the lack of understanding of the scriptures. You must read and understand Hebrews 9:15-17 which clarifies why the thief on the cross was saved by Jesus without being baptized. Christ was still alive when this occurred meaning it was done while the old testament or covenant was still in effect; the new testament had not yet been established because Christ had not yet died. And since the Lord was still alive no one could possibly be baptized into Christ under NT salvation criteria. Baptism did not become a requirement as part of salvation until the new testament began which was after the death of Christ. Jesus forgave the thief on the cross no different than he forgave others during his earthly ministry, such as the woman caught in the act of adultery as recorded in John 8. Baptism should not even be an issue when discussing the thief on the cross, but unfortunately always is, but in error.

Hebrews 9:15-17

15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.

17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.

MissKate13
Sage

Re: The thief on the cross misconceptions

Post #21

Post by MissKate13 »

Baptism was not commanded by Jesus until after He arose from the dead, therefore, Christian baptism, as we know it, did not apply to the thief.
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #22

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

MissKate13 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:45 am Baptism was not commanded by Jesus until after He arose from the dead, therefore, Christian baptism, as we know it, did not apply to the thief.
The issue here is whether the commandment by Jesus of baptism; is it a requirement for salvation.

The Biblical answer is no.

We have Biblical evidence of people being saved before they were baptized, so the case should be closed.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

MissKate13
Sage

Post #23

Post by MissKate13 »

We_Are_VENOM wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:57 am
MissKate13 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:45 am Baptism was not commanded by Jesus until after He arose from the dead, therefore, Christian baptism, as we know it, did not apply to the thief.
The issue here is whether the commandment by Jesus of baptism; is it a requirement for salvation.

The Biblical answer is no.

We have Biblical evidence of people being saved before they were baptized, so the case should be closed.
Did Jesus, prior to His ascension, command that His disciples go into the world making disciples, baptizing and and teaching them to obey all He commanded? Yes or no?

Can you show with Scripture where Jesus rescinded His command to be baptized?

Ten days after Jesus ascended, we see Peter standing before thousands of Jews telling them, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” (Act 2:38).

Why was the apostle Paul baptized according to Acts 22:16?

Is there a connection to baptism and the forgiveness of sins in the above passages? Yes or no?

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #24

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

MissKate13 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:02 am
Did Jesus, prior to His ascension, command that His disciples go into the world making disciples, baptizing and and teaching them to obey all He commanded? Yes or no?

Can you show with Scripture where Jesus rescinded His command to be baptized?

Ten days after Jesus ascended, we see Peter standing before thousands of Jews telling them, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” (Act 2:38).

Why was the apostle Paul baptized according to Acts 22:16?

Is there a connection to baptism and the forgiveness of sins in the above passages? Yes or no?
Hmm. I already addressed these points in prior posts.

No need for me to address them again if you failed to respond to the first ones.

So my point stands...do we have Biblical evidence of people being saved before they were baptized?

Yes, we do.

That should tell us that baptism isn't a requirement for salvation.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

MissKate13
Sage

Post #25

Post by MissKate13 »

I did not see any posts from you that addressed my questions. Would it be possible for you to copy and paste them? I ask because I am having difficulty sorting through posts. I’m new here and can’t figure out how to switch to a linear mode. Right now, everyone’s posts are layered on top of each other.

AquinasForGod
Sage

Post #26

Post by AquinasForGod »

[Replying to DJT_47 in post #1]

He could have been baptized by John the Baptist at some point in his life, so this isn't even necessarily an exception to the rule.