What is the purpose of assembling, and why is it necessary?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

MissKate13
Sage

Post #1

Post by MissKate13 »

Hebrews 10:22-25 gives us the answer.

Let us draw near (v. 22). Come to God with a sincere heart. Come to God desiring him.

Let us hold fast (v. 23). Let us hold tightly without wavering to the hope we affirm, for God can be trusted to keep his promise (NLT). This has been the theme of the sermon from the book of Hebrews . Do not give up. Do not fall back. Do not waver. Do not quit. Do not neglect the salvation that you have received.

Let us consider (v. 24). Finally, we need to think about how we can stir up one another to love and good work. We need to think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works. How much time do we spend thinking about ways to motivate each other to do good things?

One of the ways we do this is by taking advantage of every opportunity to meet together (v. 25) so that we can encourage one another.

In my humble opinion, assembling together is not a suggestion. It’s a command, and therefore necessary. One does not have to meet in a church building. New Testament Christians met in homes, and from there they motivated one another to perform various acts of love and good works. They sang praises to God. They prayed together, and shared communion as a way to remember Jesus’ sacrifice. We live in a world filled with evil. We must surround ourselves with like-minded Christians who love the Lord as we ourselves do. There we will find the strength to endure.
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: What is the purpose of assembling, and why is it necessary?

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

MissKate13 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:37 am What is the purpose of assembling, ....In my humble opinion, assembling together is not a suggestion. It’s a command, and therefore necessary.

Christians hold regular meetings
1. To obey a divine command

2. To encourage and upbuild fellow believers

3. To receive needed teaching and instruction

4. To preserve doctrinal and religious unity

MEETING OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES

INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

MissKate13
Sage

Post #3

Post by MissKate13 »

Amen! Thanks for responding. So many in our society believe assembling is not necessary.

AquinasForGod
Sage

Post #4

Post by AquinasForGod »

[Replying to MissKate13 in post #1]

The original church, the Roman Catholics agree and more. Mass is mandatory. To know to do so and not do so if you are healthy enough to do so is a mortal sin.

MissKate13
Sage

Post #5

Post by MissKate13 »

Thank you for your reply.

I agree that it is necessary to assemble unless there are extenuating circumstances such as illness.

I disagree, however, that the RCC was the original church. As for sin, God holds us accountable for all of our sins, unless we repent and ask forgiveness.

In my humble opinion, there are degrees of punishment.

As an aside, I am new to this forum. Can you tell me how to get out of print view?