Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Are you a creationist?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Hi all,

The thing about creation is that we do it every moment.

- I look at a lump of matter and make it into my wife every day of my marriage.

- Apparently, there is a bunch of atoms that I recognise every day how to get back to and I call it my home.

The day you are not a creationist, you likely have lost your mind.

Are you a creationist? Thoughts?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: Are you a creationist?

Post #2

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Wootah wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:03 pm Hi all,

The thing about creation is that we do it every moment.

- I look at a lump of matter and make it into my wife every day of my marriage.

- Apparently, there is a bunch of atoms that I recognise every day how to get back to and I call it my home.

The day you are not a creationist, you likely have lost your mind.

Are you a creationist? Thoughts?
Here again, as is often the case, we have to define our terms. I create a meal pretty much every day. I create posts to put in here. Yet 'Creationist' in the context of the forum means two things - broadly: one who supposes that everything was made by an intelligent creator. A god, effectively, and they fall into two categories; the ones who argue First cause, and the ones who argue IF. They may do both, of course, and often do.

The other meaning is what i call 'Genesis - literalist' which is what classic Right wing Republican Creationism is. It is about believing that the Bible is literally true, cover to cover, and that means so is Genesis. That can be done by fitting Genesis to science with a bit of fudging, or you can just deny the science.

Two basic category errors, and two each subdivision of kookiness.

Respectfully.

Mix and match as you please; no extra charge.

Wootah
Savant

Post #3

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #2]

Please define your terms. The thread is mostly just to make the obvious point we are all creationists. At worst it is choose your illusion.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Post #4

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #2]
Here again, as is often the case, we have to define our terms. I create a meal pretty much every day. I create posts to put in here. Yet 'Creationist' in the context of the forum means two things - broadly: one who supposes that everything was made by an intelligent creator. A god, effectively, and they fall into two categories; the ones who argue First cause, and the ones who argue IF. They may do both, of course, and often do.
Everything that was created has an intelligent designer.
The other meaning is what i call 'Genesis - literalist' which is what classic Right wing Republican Creationism is. It is about believing that the Bible is literally true, cover to cover, and that means so is Genesis. That can be done by fitting Genesis to science with a bit of fudging, or you can just deny the science.
You see - you are a creationist. You have literally dumped a whole lot of words onto something and cast it in the image you want to see. Thank you.

In the beginning was the word.

Diagoras
Guru

Post #5

Post by Diagoras »

Wootah wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:53 pm Everything that was created has an intelligent designer.
Depends what you mean by ‘everything’.

Plus ‘intelligent’ and ‘designer’.

You’ll have to carefully explain your terms.

What’s the difference between a creator and a creationist? Oh, and you might as well explain precisely what you mean by ‘was created’ while you’re at it.

brunumb
Savant

Post #6

Post by brunumb »

Wootah wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:47 pm [Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #2]

Please define your terms. The thread is mostly just to make the obvious point we are all creationists. At worst it is choose your illusion.
Here we go again with another utterly useless game of word defining that achieves absolutely nothing.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Wootah
Savant

Post #7

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Diagoras in post #5]

This is the problem with atheism for atheists. Words end up meaning nothing. Watch for it Diagoras and stop choosing that path that dissolves words to nothing.

Diagoras
Guru

Post #8

Post by Diagoras »

Wootah wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:08 am [Replying to Diagoras in post #5]

This is the problem with atheism for atheists. Words end up meaning nothing. Watch for it Diagoras and stop choosing that path that dissolves words to nothing.
On the contrary, words do have meanings. Sometimes several, even contradictory ones.

The trick is to spot when someone is acting duplicitously when they suggest one meaning, but in fact have a different meaning in mind. I don't always catch it, but this site offers plenty of practice.

Wootah
Savant

Post #9

Post by Wootah »

brunumb wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:36 pm

Here we go again with another utterly useless game of word defining that achieves absolutely nothing.
Reported and cleared so technically you have a valid post. I will only add that your post was offensive to me personally as I felt dismissed and I think the thread is worthwhile and I was interested in a reasoned and logical argument or rebuttal.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #10

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Wootah wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:04 am
brunumb wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:36 pm

Reported and cleared so technically you have a valid post. I will only add that your post was offensive to me personally as I felt dismissed and I think the thread is worthwhile and I was interested in a reasoned and logical argument or rebuttal.
It was rather your post that was close to offensive (if we goddless took offence) as trying to play the 'You are so WUDE' card. 'Useless' was not perhaps the right term, but the point is that you are doing the fallacy or rather the rhetorical trick of equivocation to try to fool us into thinking that because we can make a peanut butter sandwich, we are all 'Creationists'. It is pretty darn offensive to think that we would fall for that one. So don't you dare pull the 'I'm so offended' ploy. It is almost superfluous to mention the vapid 'please define your terms' post you made in response to me defining them minutely in the context of the forum.