Wootah
Savant

Are we like sheep?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Drawing from this conversation:
Clownboat wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:08 pm
Wootah wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:47 pm [Replying to Clownboat in post #34]

Those are wonderful words. We should live up to them. Don't you think you should be like a good shepherd for the people you care for and are in charge of? Don't you think the world would be better if our leaders were like a good shepherd?
From Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English
like sheep
if people behave like sheep, they do not think independently, but follow what everyone else does or thinks.

These are not wonderful words and we should not live up to them. We should think independently and not just follow what everyone else does or thinks.
You are usually arguing on the atheist side - I like the change.
Leaving this hear because I want the readers to see where your reasoning led you.

The Bible has a consistent metaphor that people are sheep.

Personally, I think this falls in the know-thyself camp. Knowing myself as a sheep (and as a sinner) means that I am less likely to follow the crowd because I know that when popular voices speak in the community I am prone to wander or follow them. Similarly knowing myself as a sinner has me be cautious of my motives and I believe reduces in some material amount the bad I am likely to do. Consider it like an alcoholic. The first thing for them to do in order to get healthy is know they are an alcoholic and even 10 years later the best way to not drink and go down that path is to say they are an alcoholic. Actually a sheep is also pretty good to eat and so it makes me aware that others who want to know me may not have my interests at heart and actually be wolves who want to eat me. Think of bad friends or users or people trying to be nice for your money or something you can do for them.

Finally, if you scroll to that thread I said I was a sheep to the truth. Now that ideal, of being committed to the truth probably makes me closer to the kid of sheep not to be messed with if I keep going in that direction. Although it also makes you a sheep others want to generally kill as well! Oh well. Be wise and let God fight your battles.

Whereas not knowing yourself as a sheep may have people fooling themselves that they are making their own choices as they hang around with bad crowds and wolves that can eat them, spiritually, and metaphorically.

The Bible has a consistent metaphor that people are sheep. Is that good or bad for humans (and if some wish is that fair on sheep)?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Re: Are we like sheep?

Post #2

Post by Wootah »

Same with knowing myself as stupid or gullible or foolish. It helps me to be less stupid, less gullible and less foolish.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Savant

Post #3

Post by 1213 »

Wootah wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:36 pm ...
The Bible has a consistent metaphor that people are sheep. Is that good or bad for humans (and if some wish is that fair on sheep)?
It depends on what it means to be sheep. I don't think it means person doesn't think for himself. I think it means person follows someone. For example, the sheep of Jesus follow Jesus.

But you don’t believe, because you are not of my sheep, as I told you. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give eternal life to them. They will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.
John 10:26-28

The decision to follow Jesus is by the sheep. And I think it is a wise choice. But some don't like Jesus and don't follow him.

Do you know anyone who doesn't follow anyone in any way?

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

Wootah wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:36 pm

The Bible has a consistent metaphor that people are sheep.

Personally, I think this falls in the know-thyself camp. Knowing myself as a sheep (and as a sinner) means that I am less likely to follow the crowd because I know that when popular voices speak in the community I am prone to wander or follow them. Similarly knowing myself as a sinner has me be cautious of my motives and I believe reduces in some material amount the bad I am likely to do. Consider it like an alcoholic. The first thing for them to do in order to get healthy is know they are an alcoholic and even 10 years later the best way to not drink and go down that path is to say they are an alcoholic. Actually a sheep is also pretty good to eat and so it makes me aware that others who want to know me may not have my interests at heart and actually be wolves who want to eat me. Think of bad friends or users or people trying to be nice for your money or something you can do for them.

Finally, if you scroll to that thread I said I was a sheep to the truth. Now that ideal, of being committed to the truth probably makes me closer to the kid of sheep not to be messed with if I keep going in that direction. Although it also makes you a sheep others want to generally kill as well! Oh well. Be wise and let God fight your battles.

Whereas not knowing yourself as a sheep may have people fooling themselves that they are making their own choices as they hang around with bad crowds and wolves that can eat them, spiritually, and metaphorically.

The sheep metaphor in the Bible is symbolic to sheep (believers in Christ) following the direction of the shepherd (Christ). The sheep follows the shepherd, and the shepherd leads the sheep.

It really isn't that difficult.

You guys are on here continuously sensationalizing Christian theology and doctrine.

If you do not believe in it, then it really doesn't matter one bit either way.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!