Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

MissKate13
Sage

Symbols in Revelation

Post #1

Post by MissKate13 »

Revelation 1:1
The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show His servants—things which must shortly take place. And He sent and signified it by His angel to His servant John,…”

Would you agree that John’s revelation was given by signs or symbols?

Would the Jews in the first century have understood what those symbols represented? How would they know?

Why do you think Revelation was written with symbols?

How can we know today what these symbols mean?

Would anyone be open to discussing the meaning of the symbols in Revelation 4, and then perhaps the symbols in other chapters later?
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24

MissKate13
Sage

Re: Symbols in Revelation

Post #11

Post by MissKate13 »

[Replying to OneWay in post #10]

Words on a page can be symbols all on their own, or they can be combined to create symbolism. For example, if I write “Green” you think color. If I write she was green with envy, you understand me to be writing about jealousy.

Can we agree that symbolism is used in the book of Revelation? Can we agree that the seven stars symbolize the seven angels of the seven churches, and the seven lamp stands symbolize the seven churches?

Revelation 1:20
“This is the mystery of the seven stars you saw in My right hand and of the seven golden lampstands: The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands are the seven churches.”

OneWay
Banned
Banned

Post #12

Post by OneWay »

MissKate13 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:12 am [Replying to OneWay in post #10]

Words on a page can be symbols all on their own,
Letters written on anything is a symbol. The letter A is a symbol of A.

MissKate13
Sage

Post #13

Post by MissKate13 »

[Replying to OneWay in post #12]
So what is your point? I’ve already proven that Revelation is a book filled with signs and symbols, things which represent something else, like seven golden lamp stands symbolizing the seven churches.

Our job as Christians is to put on first century glasses. We must search out the Old Testament for these same symbols so that we may know what the author is telling us in Revelation.

OneWay
Banned
Banned

Post #14

Post by OneWay »

MissKate13 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:45 am [Replying to OneWay in post #12]
So what is your point?
That there is no point to this thread.
Or if anything it is a mute point.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by Difflugia »

MissKate13 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:18 amWould anyone be open to discussing the meaning of the symbols in Revelation 4, and then perhaps the symbols in other chapters later?
Revelation 4:1
After these things I saw, and behold, a door opened in heaven, and the first voice that I heard, a voice as of a trumpet speaking with me, one saying, "Come up here, and I will show you the things which must come to pass hereafter."
I saw: Did John literally see these things in a vision from God or is this the revelator's own allegorical language, even if inspired?

a door opened in heaven: Is it important that a door opened? The baptism theophany (Mark 1:10) doesn't include a door ("the heavens tore open"). Is the door important for John? Was a door necessary for John's vision, but not for what Jesus saw?
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

MissKate13
Sage

Post #16

Post by MissKate13 »

[Replying to OneWay in post #14]

No one is forcing you to participate. If you don’t think the symbolism in Revelation is not worth your time, maybe you can find a thread much more to your liking.

MissKate13
Sage

Post #17

Post by MissKate13 »

[Replying to Difflugia in post #15]

I think John did see these things in a vision. He was to give testimony to the things “he saw.”

I’m not sure what verse in Revelation you’re referring to that says “a door opened in heaven.”

The first mention of “door” in Revelation is found in 3:8. To the angel of the church at Philadelphia, Jesus tells John to write, “I know your works. See, I have set before you an open door, and no one can shut it; for you have a little strength, have kept My word, and have not denied My name.”

I think the symbolism behind “open door” is opportunity. We see this in both the Old and New Testaments. Esther had a door of opportunity just as the church in Philadelphia did. (Esther 4:13-14). See Acts 14:27; 2 Corinthians 2:12; 1 Corinthians 16:8-9.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #18

Post by Difflugia »

MissKate13 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:15 amI’m not sure what verse in Revelation you’re referring to that says “a door opened in heaven.”
4:1
MissKate13 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:15 amThe first mention of “door” in Revelation is found in 3:8. To the angel of the church at Philadelphia, Jesus tells John to write, “I know your works. See, I have set before you an open door, and no one can shut it; for you have a little strength, have kept My word, and have not denied My name.”

I think the symbolism behind “open door” is opportunity. We see this in both the Old and New Testaments. Esther had a door of opportunity just as the church in Philadelphia did. (Esther 4:13-14). See Acts 14:27; 2 Corinthians 2:12; 1 Corinthians 16:8-9.
That makes sense.

My speculation is that the door in both 3:8 and 4:1 is a portal between the earthly and the divine. The Jesus of the Gospel of is the mediator between God and man ("no one comes unto the Father but by me"). Jesus has opened a door to the heavenly realm to the Philadelphians for their faithfulness and has similarly opened a door for John the Revelator to contact the divine realm through his vision.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

OneWay
Banned
Banned

Post #19

Post by OneWay »

MissKate13 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:10 am [Replying to OneWay in post #14]

No one is forcing you to participate. If you don’t think the symbolism in Revelation is not worth your time, maybe you can find a thread much more to your liking.
The reason why you think this is because you have not the wisdom to know my objective.

MissKate13
Sage

Post #20

Post by MissKate13 »

Difflugia wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:42 am
MissKate13 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:15 amI’m not sure what verse in Revelation you’re referring to that says “a door opened in heaven.”
4:1
MissKate13 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:15 amThe first mention of “door” in Revelation is found in 3:8. To the angel of the church at Philadelphia, Jesus tells John to write, “I know your works. See, I have set before you an open door, and no one can shut it; for you have a little strength, have kept My word, and have not denied My name.”

That makes sense.

My speculation is that the door in both 3:8 and 4:1 is a portal between the earthly and the divine. The Jesus of the Gospel of is the mediator between God and man ("no one comes unto the Father but by me"). Jesus has opened a door to the heavenly realm to the Philadelphians for their faithfulness and has similarly opened a door for John the Revelator to contact the divine realm through his vision.
What you say makes good sense also.

In my humble opinion, I think it’s important to search out the Scriptures where we can find these same symbols being used. It will give us a better sense of what Jesus wants us to see.