Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

How does atheism supply meaning?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Clownboat wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:32 am
We are either simply part of the world existing for a brief time, in a massive universe, with death waiting and no purpose and meaninglessness and not in control of anything or we can create something and be something. This is atheism on one end and creation on the other.

It's why I don't believe there are atheists. No one can truly hold that view and I certainly don't think any atheists on this site really drink that cup to the full. I tried. Once. A long time ago.
Obviously, people do hold this view, less the meaningless part that was added to poison the well.
For those that are uncomfortable with said view, there are religious options available to fulfill the need to have purpose supplied to them.

What I can't understand is how it is a struggle for some to find purpose in this life and then seem to project that on to others that don't suffer from such a thing. I personally treat this life as something special and have plenty of purpose, because for all I know, it is the only one we will get. The idea of this life being a test for some other life actually would make this life less meaningful as the next would become the true goal. Therefore, could it be argued that atheism supplies more meaning/value for this life than religions in general? Those that struggle to find purpose without religion would obviously not be able to see this and would then be susceptible making claims like we see above.

"No one can truly hold that view" would therefore simply be a projection.
How does atheism supply meaning?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: How does atheism supply meaning?

Post #241

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Wootah wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:07 am [Replying to brunumb in post #237]

That would be a misconception.

Maybe those myths were holding clown world back?
i don't see your point or even what you are saying, even checking the link. And 'maybe' speculations do not make a case. They may be an excuse for you to suppose there is some kind of explanation that enables you to cling to Faith, but you have to do better than propose some vague excuse if you hope to make a valid case. Or for those, like me, who are trying to follow your argument.

cue: 'If you are too stupid to understand..'. Maybe, but please do explain your argument for those who have trouble following it.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #242

Post by boatsnguitars »

Wootah wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:11 pm
boatsnguitars wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:05 pm [Replying to Wootah in post #233]

You don't distinguish between an idea like Hinduism where some believe there is a literal monkey ripping open his chest to an atheist saying, "I don't believe that" , do you?

I'd encourage you to discover some nuance to your thinking.
Most atheists I know think ripping a baby out of a mother or vacuuming it out is normal behaviour.

It's because I have not found the rational secular atheist I was promised that I find Christ so compelling.
I disagree, most atheists I know see it as a privacy issue that we shouldn't even know about in the first place. Conservatives want to know if your wife's or daughter's doctor visit involves something that offends them. In order to make abortion illegal, the government would have to know if your wife or daughter is pregnant - otherwise, how can they enforce the law?

How normal the behavior is unknown, but the abortions we know about are not all being done by atheists. Christians seem to be just fine with it.

Also:
1. Does your God torture the unborn in Hell when they are aborted? Is that good? (Calvinists believe they are).
2. Don't you want people to go to God? Wouldn't abortion be the most guaranteed method for a soul to go to Heaven?
3. Who is having abortions? Unrepentant sinners, atheists, and bad Christians: would a baby born to this family have a better chance of knowing God if they were born, or were killed before they experienced all the sin and temptation in the world?
4. Why don't you want people to have the best chance possible to go to Heaven?
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

brunumb
Savant

Post #243

Post by brunumb »

Wootah wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:07 am [Replying to brunumb in post #237]

That would be a misconception.

Maybe those myths were holding clown world back?
:? HUH? Sorry, but you are not making any sense, again.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.