JESUS IS NOT AN ANGEL.

COME DEBATE ME

MissKate13
Sage

Re: JESUS IS NOT AN ANGEL

Post #11

Post by MissKate13 »

[Replying to onewithhim in post #10]

Please provide any Greek lexicon which says begotten means BROUGHT INTO EXISTENCE.

Begotten DOES NOT mean created. It DOES NOT mean brought into existence. It means UNIQUE.

3439. monogenés ►
monogenés: only begotten
Original Word: μονογενής, ές
Part of Speech: Adjective
Transliteration: monogenés
Phonetic Spelling: (mon-og-en-ace')
Definition: only begotten
Usage: only, only-begotten; unique.
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24

onewithhim
Savant

Post #12

Post by onewithhim »

MissKate13 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:50 am [Replying to onewithhim in post #10]

Please provide any Greek lexicon which says begotten means BROUGHT INTO EXISTENCE.

Begotten DOES NOT mean created. It DOES NOT mean brought into existence. It means UNIQUE.

3439. monogenés ►
monogenés: only begotten
Original Word: μονογενής, ές
Part of Speech: Adjective
Transliteration: monogenés
Phonetic Spelling: (mon-og-en-ace')
Definition: only begotten
Usage: only, only-begotten; unique.
An only-begotten person IS unique. That person is the only person created by God Himself. "Begotten" actually means "brought into existence." The Oxford Dictionary gives this as the meaning of "beget" (past participle is "begotten"): procreate; give rise to; cause. That is the meaning according to the English language as it's understood.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #13

Post by Difflugia »

onewithhim wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:54 amJesus is Jehovah's "first begotten" (Hebrews 1:6)---the first thing created and by God alone. That is what "begotten" means, brought into existence.
Do you have any source for this or are you just asserting it?

The LSJ entries for τόκος, γεννάω and γίγνομαι say that when used of people, they always mean "born" in the sense of procreation. You can, of course, just say that they mean something different when referring to Jesus. You can probably even shout louder than I can. That's not exactly a reasoned debate, though.

In terms of the linguistic evidence that you're trying to rely on, Jesus was Yahweh's son in a biological, procreative sense. Maybe there's a good case to be made that he wasn't, but you sure haven't made it.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #14

Post by onewithhim »

Difflugia wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:55 pm
onewithhim wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:54 amJesus is Jehovah's "first begotten" (Hebrews 1:6)---the first thing created and by God alone. That is what "begotten" means, brought into existence.
Do you have any source for this or are you just asserting it?

The LSJ entries for τόκος, γεννάω and γίγνομαι say that when used of people, they always mean "born" in the sense of procreation. You can, of course, just say that they mean something different when referring to Jesus. You can probably even shout louder than I can. That's not exactly a reasoned debate, though.

In terms of the linguistic evidence that you're trying to rely on, Jesus was Yahweh's son in a biological, procreative sense. Maybe there's a good case to be made that he wasn't, but you sure haven't made it.
That's just what I have been saying. Jesus was begotten by Jehovah, in the sense of procreation.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by Difflugia »

onewithhim wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:10 amThat's just what I have been saying. Jesus was begotten by Jehovah, in the sense of procreation.
You also said that Jesus was "created." Are you claiming that parents create their children in the same sense? If you are, then I misunderstood your claim and I agree with you.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

TheHolyGhost
Banned
Banned

Post #16

Post by TheHolyGhost »

onewithhim wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:54 am
MissKate13 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:28 am [Replying to Revelations won in post #3]

Jesus is so much better than the angels (Hebrews 1:4)

Jesus has a more excellent name than the angels (Hebrews 1:4)

No angel was ever called God’s Son (Hebrews 1:5)

Worship is reserved for God alone, yet God said, “Let all the angels worship Jesus.” (Hebrews 1:6)

God never said to an angel, “Sit at My right hand,
Till I make Your enemies Your footstool. (Hebrews 1:13)
Jesus is Jehovah's "first begotten" (Hebrews 1:6)---the first thing created and by God alone. That is what "begotten" means, brought into existence. Jesus is not just the archangel but he is the first-born Son of God.
Written in the book of John, if this being the truth...Or is this not the truth?
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
The same was in the beginning with God. And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Then who is the Word that was God that was made flesh?