‘They hated me without cause.’

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

Shem Yoshi
Sage

‘They hated me without cause.’

Post #1

Post by Shem Yoshi »

In John 15:25 Jesus is quoted saying "But this cometh to pass, that the word might be fulfilled that is written in their law, They hated me without a cause."

This quote brings up a huge question in philosophy. What is without cause? How is that possible for something to be without a cause? For even if the Pharisees, and those who hated Jesus, hated out of jealousy, wouldn't jealousy be a cause?

Is it true "they hated me without cause"?

I could go into the philosophical dilemma here, that every action can be seen as a reaction all the way back to the beginning of time. Aristotle spoke of it as "the unmoved mover", the first action that started the chain of events that led up to our lives in motion to this day. The first cause.

How can anything be without cause?

If you dive into the Greek is becomes even more peculiar. The root Greek word has translations of "without a cause, freely, as free gift, for naught, in vain."

Though I suppose that can help us understand that the word might not be literally translated as "cause", but none the less, what do you think it might be like to hate someone without a cause?

if someone has an affair with your wife, you hate them with a cause. But even more so, if someone is jealous of your righteousness, is that without cause? You might think jealousy as a cause, but perhaps those who hated Jesus were not even jealous. Perhaps they were not envious, or offended, or threatened in their roles. Perhaps they truly hated without a cause.

Could you imagine that? Maybe we cant even give a reason for why Jesus was hated, maybe there is no reason at all.
“Them that die'll be the lucky ones.”

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Re: ‘They hated me without cause.’

Post #2

Post by Shem Yoshi »

Some quotes to think about.

Mark 12 "10 And have ye not read this scripture; The stone which the builders rejected is become the head of the corner: 11 This was the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?"

John 15:25 "But this cometh to pass, that the word might be fulfilled that is written in their law, They hated me without a cause."

It can also be translated as "...They hated me as a free gift"

Matt 5 "11 “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you."

Luke 6:26 "Woe to you when everyone speaks well of you, for that is how their ancestors treated the false prophets."

"...They hated me as a free gift"
“Them that die'll be the lucky ones.”