Should Christians fast more?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

historia
Prodigy

Should Christians fast more?

Post #1

Post by historia »

As I write this, we are in the midst of Advent, a time when historically Christians fasted.

That practice is still observed in the Eastern Churches, but is not obligatory in the West. Even during Lent, many western Christians don't really fast, instead just refraining from a single type of food or a particular activity. To my knowledge, Evangelicals and many sectarian groups don't encourage fasting at all.

Question for debate: Should Christians fast more?

Miles
Savant

Re: Should Christians fast more?

Post #2

Post by Miles »

historia wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:09 pm
They should do whatever they want as long as it's legal and doesn't hurt anyone. That said, what is the objective of fasting for advent? What does the fasting Christian get out of it that he couldn't get by some other means?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #3

Post by 2timothy316 »

There is no Biblical command to fast. There are examples of people failing to impress God simply by fasting. (Matthew 6:16) “To obey is better than a sacrifice.” (1 Samuel 15:22, 23) A better question should be, 'should Christians obey God's commandments'?

There are, however, healthy benefits from fasting if done correctly. Including but not limited to, weight loss and lowering cholesterol.

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

2timothy316 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:09 pm There is no Biblical command to fast. There are examples of people failing to impress God simply by fasting. (Matthew 6:16) “To obey is better than a sacrifice.” (1 Samuel 15:22, 23) A better question should be, 'should Christians obey God's commandments'?
Depends on the command. If it's aimed at slaves to,"obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to curry their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord." (Colossians 3:22 ) Or if its a command to put to death any man who has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman," then yes, these should be obeyed because we need obedient slaves but don't need practicing homosexual men. However, if the command is far less grievous, such as wearing clothing woven of two kinds of material” (Leviticus 19:19) or if two men are fighting each other. and one man’s wife grabs the other man’s private parts she should have her hand cut off. (Deuteronomy 25:11-12) then go ahead and disregard it. . . . . I think.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #5

Post by 2timothy316 »

Miles wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:54 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:09 pm There is no Biblical command to fast. There are examples of people failing to impress God simply by fasting. (Matthew 6:16) “To obey is better than a sacrifice.” (1 Samuel 15:22, 23) A better question should be, 'should Christians obey God's commandments'?
Depends on the command. If it's aimed at slaves to," obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to curry their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord." (Colossians 3:22 ) Or if its a command to put to death any man who has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman" then yes, these should be obeyed because we need obedient slaves but don't need practicing homosexual men. However, if the command is far less grievous, such as wearing clothing woven of two kinds of material” (Leviticus 19:19) or if two men are fighting each other. and one man’s wife grabs the other man’s private parts she should have her hand cut off. (Deuteronomy 25:11-12) then go ahead and disregard it. . . . . I think.

I have never had my supervisor at work tell me to fast. So, I'm good.

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #6

Post by Shem Yoshi »

historia wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:09 pm As I write this, we are in the midst of Advent, a time when historically Christians fasted.

That practice is still observed in the Eastern Churches, but is not obligatory in the West. Even during Lent, many western Christians don't really fast, instead just refraining from a single type of food or a particular activity. To my knowledge, Evangelicals and many sectarian groups don't encourage fasting at all.

I have done a lot of fasting in the last 4 years, prompted by the spirit I began fasting 1 or 2 days here and there. Then 3 days. Which led to a 6 day fast, and later a 9 day, then a 10 day fast and finally in prayer God took my hunger and I did a 20 day fast. But all my fasting was purely because the spirit prompted me to do so. I am convinced there is nothing wrong with eating. In fact, even though I appreciate my fasting and had very spiritual times while doing it, sometimes I wish I had a spirit to eat and be merry.

"hearken diligently unto me, and eat ye that which is good, and let your soul delight itself in fatness." (Isaiah 55)
“Them that die'll be the lucky ones.”

bjs1
Sage

Post #7

Post by bjs1 »

historia wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:09 pm As I write this, we are in the midst of Advent, a time when historically Christians fasted.

On the whole, yes. We lose a great deal when we forget the Christian disciplines that have brought people to know the Lord.

It is true that there is not a direct command to fast in the NT. However, when talking about fasting in Matthew 6:16 Jesus said, “When you fast…” He did not say, “If you fast…” Jesus seemed to assume that this was a regular practice for his followers.

That said, the legalist approach to fasting that was common in past eras, and still exists in some places today, is probably not as healthy as it should be. Fasting is best approached as a personal desire to know the Lord; something kept secret and private (again see Matthew 6). A scheduled fast determined by church leaders is less than ideal, but still better than not fasting at all.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

Post by JehovahsWitness »

historia wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:09 pm
Christians need not fast at all. Jesus did not command fasting as a religious rite and if he felt it were a useful tool to draw his follwers closer to God it seems reasonable he would have recommended it which he did not. Indeed the Hebrew scriptures only commanded Jews to fast once a year and that for only one day.
That said, Jesus he did not prohibit it either only emphasising that should a Christian choose to fast for their own personal reasons it should be a private matter that should not be publicized and certainly therefore not institutionalized as part of a religions seasonal structure. To lift the personal and private into the public areana violates the spirit if not the letter of Matthew 6:16.

* Fasting has a number of health benefits and if Christians wish to fast that is their personal choice they are free to do so

DOES FASTING BRING ONE CLOSER TO GOD?

The mere fact of abstaining from food cannot bring us closer to the True God Jehovah. Being free from distractions does however afford is more time for the activities that do draw us closer to God namely, prayer, study of Gods word and meditation (thinking deeply on spiritual matters). Thus while fasting can have no direct effect one's relationship with God, it might for some, free up time and privilege greater focus on the activites that do. Alternatively it might lead to being distracted by feelings of physical hunger or lead to a misguided feeling of self righteousness.

CONCLUSION: The choice to fast or not is a personal matter; a Christian can have a perfectly acceptable service to God even if they NEVER fast. If they choose to it they should realize it is the favorizing focus on spiritual matters (not the mere abstainence from food) that can procure benefit.

JW

RELATED POSTS

Does Jesus saying "when" you fast (rather than "IF" you fast) amount to a command to fast?
viewtopic.php?p=1108569#p1108569

Were the words about fasting found at Matthew 17:21 part of the original text?
viewtopic.php?p=1108575#p1108575
To learn more, please go to other posts related to ...

FAITH , FOOD, and ...CHRISTIAN FASTING
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #9

Post by Shem Yoshi »

A person can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in their own toil. This too, I see, is from the hand of God, (Ecclesiastes 2:24)
“Them that die'll be the lucky ones.”

Runner
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Runner »

Yes, they absolutely should as they are not taught to at all by the modern churches and relevant portions of verses containing Jesus' teachings about fasting have been completely removed from modern Bible translations.

Jesus said 'When' you fast, not 'if you ever decide to try it out.'
Matthew 6:16

Fasting is not only very healthy for the physical body, but it actually purifies the soul/spirit. The Bible refers to it as "afflicting the soul." Leviticus 16:29; 23:29