Bigger Fish to Fry?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Bigger Fish to Fry?

Post #1

Post by Purple Knight »

Question for Debate: Is it better to solve more serious problems first, or is it more equitable to pursue solutions that work for everyone and don't leave anyone out in the cold?

It was Sridatta's post that got me thinking about this. He's saying God incarnates all the time, and these people focus on specific issues. It seems fine at first glance except that some people are going to reject these prophets under the assumption that they don't care about them. My thinking is that if this is true (which I'm always willing to assume for the purposes of debate) it might end up alienating people, and hardening their hearts to change, if their rights violations are put on the back burner, or even if they perceive that's what's happening.
sridatta wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:11 pmTherefore, God involved in changing certain specific aspects, keeps silent on some other aspects, which need time for change. When time comes, He will concentrate to change those concepts also on which He was silent in the previous Incarnations. God will not solve all the problems in a single instance of time, since humanity is not so flexible to accept the total change in a single instance of time.
The problem with this is that it can have the opposite effect. Let's take the issue of racial discrimination. I don't think many people would disagree that it's one of the worst, if not the worst, issue plaguing our world.

It is a bigger issue and does need to be solved first, but what am I supposed to say to the racially privileged people who face lesser (but still real) discrimination every day and are never ever told it's something that shouldn't happen to them or violates their rights in any way? Do I just say, "Oh you're on the back burner society will get to you eventually."? That's not something you say to people who have suffered a genuine rights violation. They of course conclude quite rationally that being discriminated against isn't a rights violation at all. Intersectionality basically claims to adjudicate this fairly but all I see is a lot of talk and no real calls for action against lesser discrimination.

"Bobby raped me!"
"Yes well, Bobby raped Sally worse so you just move aside and shut up until Sally is taken care of. You can have some attention if and when that happens."
"I hate Sally! She can go die in a ditch!"

If this is leading victims of lesser discrimination to be unsupportive of the victims of greater discrimination, they may be morally in the wrong but it still makes running to the big fires and ignoring the little houses burning down... not the right move. There are a lot of little houses. Pursuing solutions that cover everyone might be the only workable choice here, and for the exact same reason these incarnated gods are said to focus on their particular issue: Because doing otherwise might not work. In this case it might leave too many people outside of the circle, make them angry, unsupportive of basic rights, and thus it might not work or might even backfire.

Miles
Savant

Re: Bigger Fish to Fry?

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Purple Knight wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:33 pm Question for Debate: Is it better to solve more serious problems first, or is it more equitable to pursue solutions that work for everyone and don't leave anyone out in the cold?
Couldn't the pursuit of solutions that work for everyone and don't leave anyone out in the cold be for serious problems?