Yes or No?

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Yes or No?

Post #1

Post by Athetotheist »

And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it. His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow. (Matthew 28:2-3)

Did Mary Magdalene see this happen or did she not?

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Re: Yes or No?

Post #21

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to Shem Yoshi in post #20
Or maybe they are some sort of alternate reality?
An "alternate reality" which makes your belief conveniently----and exclusively----unfalsifiable?
I dont believe in other religions because I believe in Jesus Christ. I believe Jesus Christ is the only way.
This doesn't explain how Christianity is any more likely than another belief.
I actually think it is fully possible that the other religions, including Islam, LDS's, Thelima, Hindu, came about by prophets... But there can be false prophets...
How do you know a "false" prophet isn't true----in "some sort of alternate reality"?

Are you willing to set the same standard of credibility for Christianity that you set for every other belief?

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #22

Post by Shem Yoshi »

Athetotheist wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:42 pm [Replying to Shem Yoshi in post #20
Or maybe they are some sort of alternate reality?
An "alternate reality" which makes your belief conveniently----and exclusively----unfalsifiable?
I dont believe in other religions because I believe in Jesus Christ. I believe Jesus Christ is the only way.
This doesn't explain how Christianity is any more likely than another belief.
I actually think it is fully possible that the other religions, including Islam, LDS's, Thelima, Hindu, came about by prophets... But there can be false prophets...
How do you know a "false" prophet isn't true----in "some sort of alternate reality"?

Are you willing to set the same standard of credibility for Christianity that you set for every other belief?
This debate grows weary. However it is a fact that God can exist, and that one religion can be exclusive to Gods true religion, and that all religions are different and not the same.

atheism will never get that, because they believe all religions are the same, but the truth is is that not a single religion is the same of another. If i just pull something out of thin air, like my "roman noodles is a god" essentially creating a lie.. That certainly does not prove other religions are lies, and it certainly does not prove God doesn't exist.

and saying "Either could be true, both have claims about God" is really a false equivalent.. Its a bad argument.

it just might so happen that one claim about God can be true and another claim can be false.

I really would rather not debate it anymore.
“Them that die'll be the lucky ones.”

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #23

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to Shem Yoshi in post #22
This debate grows weary. However it is a fact that God can exist, and that one religion can be exclusive to Gods true religion, and that all religions are different and not the same.

atheism will never get that, because they believe all religions are the same, but the truth is is that not a single religion is the same of another. If i just pull something out of thin air, like my "roman noodles is a god" essentially creating a lie.. That certainly does not prove other religions are lies, and it certainly does not prove God doesn't exist.

and saying "Either could be true, both have claims about God" is really a false equivalent.. Its a bad argument.

it just might so happen that one claim about God can be true and another claim can be false.

The reason the debate grows weary for me is that I keep asking questions and you keep not answering them, or answering in a way which can't be verified as a direct answer.

For me it isn't about what atheism doesn't get, since that isn't my position. And pointing out that the claims you're making could be made by others isn't a bad argument; it's showing that the argument can work as well for others as it can for you. One claim about God may be true and another may be false, but I don't see how you've established your position better than a proponent of another faith could establish theirs.

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #24

Post by Shem Yoshi »

Athetotheist wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:36 pm [Replying to Shem Yoshi in post #22

The reason the debate grows weary for me is that I keep asking questions and you keep not answering them, or answering in a way which can't be verified as a direct answer.

For me it isn't about what atheism doesn't get, since that isn't my position. And pointing out that the claims you're making could be made by others isn't a bad argument; it's showing that the argument can work as well for others as it can for you. One claim about God may be true and another may be false, but I don't see how you've established your position better than a proponent of another faith could establish theirs.
Lets assume they are the same claims for a minute... Which no two different claims can be exactly the same but for the sake of argument. They both claim to have met an alien maybe.

One could still be true and another could be false. right?

Lets say two people claim to have experienced something, one could be true and the other could be false. Right?

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #25

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to Shem Yoshi in post #24
Lets assume they are the same claims for a minute... Which no two different claims can be exactly the same but for the sake of argument. They both claim to have met an alien maybe.

Could Mary Magdalene have encountered an angel and----at the same time in the same place----not have done so?

You said earlier that you take a mystical approach to Christianity. That's one thing, but Christianity gets into a tangle when it tries to establish itself literally and historically with accounts like these. And if you're going to interpret your belief mystically, you have no room to fault anyone else for interpreting their belief in the same way.

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #26

Post by Shem Yoshi »

Athetotheist wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:06 pm [Replying to Shem Yoshi in post #24

Could Mary Magdalene have encountered an angel and----at the same time in the same place----not have done so?

You said earlier that you take a mystical approach to Christianity. That's one thing, but Christianity gets into a tangle when it tries to establish itself literally and historically with accounts like these. And if you're going to interpret your belief mystically, you have no room to fault anyone else for interpreting their belief in the same way.
I just want an answer. One persons perception can be wrong, another persons perception can be right. right?

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #27

Post by Athetotheist »

Shem Yoshi wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:08 pm
Athetotheist wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:06 pm [Replying to Shem Yoshi in post #24

I just want an answer. One persons perception can be wrong, another persons perception can be right. right?
One person's perception might be right and another's perception might be wrong.

And they might both be wrong.

But in a circumstance like my MM question, they can't both be right.

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #28

Post by Shem Yoshi »

Athetotheist wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:34 pm
Shem Yoshi wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:08 pm

One person's perception might be right and another's perception might be wrong.

And they might both be wrong.

But in a circumstance like my MM question, they can't both be right.
Thanks for answering the question, i appreciate that.

However I do believe it is possible for both Gospels to be right. A number of things might explain it. We might be interpreting it wrong and both happened, after all we are limited to a few words on paper. OR MM could have experienced both somehow, like in an altered state of reality, and Matt could have depicted one side while the other Mark could have depicted another side of events. Or if you want to get to true skepticism which i myself cant even get past, I (or you or both) could have been created yesterday and created in a universe with an illusion of age, and created with memories of the past. God could do that, and God could create a Bible that is His Word.

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #29

Post by Shem Yoshi »

I really think a lot of critics of the Bible dont really show an appreciation for skepticism and the profound questions it brings to reality itself. Surely all of reality can be scrutinized. And God could have simply created us in a moments time, and created a bible. All truth can be brought into scrutiny, including laws of science and logic, and we could simply live in a universe where nothing is for sure. And ultimately the words of the Bible leave room for this kind of scrutiny.

It says "there is no one who understands; there is no one who seeks God." (Romans 3:11)

then 1 Corinthians 1 says:

18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written:

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.”

20 Where is the wise person? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21 For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. 22 Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom, 23 but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, 24 but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25 For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.

Tcg
Savant

Post #30

Post by Tcg »

Shem Yoshi wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:04 pm
atheism will never get that, because they believe all religions are the same, but the truth is is that not a single religion is the same of another.
First off atheism isn't a "they." It is the lack of belief in god/gods. Atheists could be considered a "they" but we don't all agree on matters beyond sharing a lack of belief in god/gods.

As one atheist I can assure you that I don't consider all religions the same. Christianity for instance is horrible. Dudeism is quite chill:
Just Take It Easy, Mankind

Come join the slowest-growing religion in the world – Dudeism. An ancient philosophy that preaches non-preachiness, practices as little as possible, and above all, uh…lost my train of thought there. Anyway, if you’d like to find peace on earth and goodwill, man, we’ll help you get started. Right after a little nap.

https://dudeism.com/

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom