The righteous?

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Bobcat
Apprentice

The righteous?

Post #1

Post by Bobcat »

Jesus says in John 7:18 that those who are truthful are righteous but the truth He is speaking of is God’s word. In saying this He is discounting His own death and resurrection. In essence He is saying that we are redeemed by what we say. He actually has stated it before when He said we are justified by what we say. IE; “By your words you’ll be justified and by your words you’ll be condemned.”

John 7:18

“He who speaks on His own seeks his own glory but he who seeks the glory of the One who sent him is truthful and there is no unrighteousness in him.”

Jesus actually discredits Christianity with that teaching.

Miles
Savant

Re: The righteous?

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Bobcat wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:08 pm Jesus says in John 7:18 that those who are truthful are righteous but the truth He is speaking of is God’s word. In saying this He is discounting His own death and resurrection. In essence He is saying that we are redeemed by what we say. He actually has stated it before when He said we are justified by what we say. IE; “By your words you’ll be justified and by your words you’ll be condemned.”

“He who speaks on His own seeks his own glory but he who seeks the glory of the One who sent him is truthful and there is no unrighteousness in him.”

Ah, Christianity didn't exist then. And, what Jesus said may conflict with later writings but you can't blame him for that. Or can you?

Bobcat
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by Bobcat »

Miles wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:09 pm
Bobcat wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:08 pm Jesus says in John 7:18 that those who are truthful are righteous but the truth He is speaking of is God’s word. In saying this He is discounting His own death and resurrection. In essence He is saying that we are redeemed by what we say. He actually has stated it before when He said we are justified by what we say. IE; “By your words you’ll be justified and by your words you’ll be condemned.”

Ah, Christianity didn't exist then. And, what Jesus said may conflict with later writings but you can't blame him for that. Or can you?

Christianity is supposed to follow Jesus but instead actually follow Paul because they don’t understand what Jesus taught.

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

Bobcat wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:47 pm
Miles wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:09 pm

Christianity is supposed to follow Jesus but instead actually follow Paul because they don’t understand what Jesus taught.
So what was said by the two that is in conflict?

Bobcat
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by Bobcat »

[Replying to Miles in post #4]

Christianity believes they are righteous because of Jesus acts but as per the OP Jesus says we are righteous by being truthful with the word of God and seeking God’s glory.

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #6

Post by Shem Yoshi »

Hallelujah, God can help us understand His truth of righteousness... even though we will never understand :(
I suppose Jesus needed to die because of that
“Them that die'll be the lucky ones.”

Bobcat
Apprentice

Post #7

Post by Bobcat »

[Replying to Shem Yoshi in post #6]

As it is written;

“If you continue in my word you are truly my disciple then you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.”

“The man who keeps the commandments he has from me is the man who loves me and the man who loves me will be loved by my Father, I too shall love him and reveal myself to him.”

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #8

Post by Shem Yoshi »

Bobcat wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:03 am [Replying to Shem Yoshi in post #6]

As it is written;

“If you continue in my word you are truly my disciple then you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.”

“The man who keeps the commandments he has from me is the man who loves me and the man who loves me will be loved by my Father, I too shall love him and reveal myself to him.”
That is a good point, they shall know the truth and the truth shall set them free... And the truth is, no one understands (Romans 3:11). All fall short. but we live by faith.

I believe we are free in the completeness of God to live as we are. Gods truth encompasses us.
“Them that die'll be the lucky ones.”

Bobcat
Apprentice

Post #9

Post by Bobcat »

[Replying to Shem Yoshi in post #8]

As Jesus said when praying to the Father:

John 17

“Consecrate them by means of truth.
Your word is truth”

Shem Yoshi