Where's God?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Where's God?

Post #1

Post by POI »

Does he pop up in my dreams? Is he the one whom produces my goose-bumps? Is He the one giving me my "moral compass"? Is he only experienced during deep meditation? If I have enough faith, will he appear to me? But seriously. Where is he? I was a Christian for decades. I earnestly prayed for him to reach me, to no avail.

For debate: Why have I not felt his presence?

A) I never tried hard enough; lack faith
B) He does not want to reveal Himself to me (yet)
C) Evil is blocking the request(s)
D) I'm too dumb to realize he's reaching me
E) He's not really there at all <- Current conclusion

Do not answer yet. This topic has spawned from another unrelated topic. I decided to devote this large topic to itself. Below are some premises:

P1) does god exist? (dunno)
P2) does god want a relationship with all, especially the ones who seek him (apparently so)
P3) is god capable of communicating (apparently so)
P4) can god communicate his message in a way in which the recipient could no longer deny (apparently so)
P5) have I asked for this communication earnestly and repetitively (YES)
P6) does the Bible state god answers the call to all who seek him (YES)

At best, god has opted not to contact me YET. And this would be after decades of actively seeking him. Without any emotion, I'm logically left with 2 options.

A) God is not really there <- Current conclusion.
B) God is not adhering to his promise (yet).
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Re: Where's God?

Post #221

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to POI in post #216
Can you blame me for loosing my 30+ years of faith, being that God never did what the Bible says He would do?
That's more of an indication of a problem with the Bible, not necessarily with God.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #222

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Athetotheist wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:01 pm [Replying to POI in post #216
Can you blame me for loosing my 30+ years of faith, being that God never did what the Bible says He would do?
That's more of an indication of a problem with the Bible, not necessarily with God.
But we are talking about the god of the Bible, aren't we? If there is a problem with the Bible, don't we have a problem (and we do have a problem) with the god described in the Bible?

Ok, the discussion about a god not specific to any particular religion is a diferent one, but if we doubt the Bible and the religions and gods based on it, which religion can we not have doubts about?

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #223

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #222
Ok, the discussion about a god not specific to any particular religion is a diferent one, but if we doubt the Bible and the religions and gods based on it, which religion can we not have doubts about?
We can question all of them, but we have to question each of them in its own right and on its own merits.

POI
Prodigy

Post #224

Post by POI »

Isn't the Bible directed by God?

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #225

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Athetotheist wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:30 pm [Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #222
Ok, the discussion about a god not specific to any particular religion is a different one, but if we doubt the Bible and the religions and gods based on it, which religion can we not have doubts about?
We can question all of them, but we have to question each of them in its own right and on its own merits.
Thank you. :) Yes. We have to examine them on their own merits. Thus, Christianity apparently has factual/historical support. Islam a close second as few people would argue that Muhammad never existed, and Buddhism perhaps no 3. This is the Real debate, not whether cosmic origins or Abiogenesis are evidence for a god, because that does not get you any particular religion, which is all that - in a practical sense - matters.

It is why, though I debate these other apologetics, the only one that matters is Bible credibility, specifically the gospels and particularly the resurrection -accounts, because Christianity stands or falls on that, and if it falls (and it does) Christianity is done and dusted and none of the other debates even matter.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #226

Post by Athetotheist »

POI wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:02 pm
Isn't the Bible directed by God?
That's the Bible's claim.

POI
Prodigy

Post #227

Post by POI »

Placing this back on top:

P2) does god want a relationship with all, especially the ones who seek him (apparently so)
P4) can god communicate his message in a way in which the recipient could no longer deny (apparently so)

At best, god has opted not to contact me YET. And this would be after decades of actively seeking him. Without any emotion, I'm logically left with 2 options.

Is my above current conclusion rational? If not, why not?

POI
Prodigy

Post #228

Post by POI »

Bump:

Placing this back on top:

Is my above current conclusion rational? If not, why not?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #229

Post by TRANSPONDER »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:10 pm
Athetotheist wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:30 pm [Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #222
Ok, the discussion about a god not specific to any particular religion is a different one, but if we doubt the Bible and the religions and gods based on it, which religion can we not have doubts about?
Thank you. :) Yes. We have to examine them on their own merits. Thus, Christianity apparently has factual/historical support. Islam a close second as few people would argue that Muhammad never existed, and Buddhism perhaps no 3. This is the Real debate, not whether cosmic origins or Abiogenesis are evidence for a god, because that does not get you any particular religion, which is all that - in a practical sense - matters.

It is why, though I debate these other apologetics, the only one that matters is Bible credibility, specifically the gospels and particularly the resurrection -accounts, because Christianity stands or falls on that, and if it falls (and it does) Christianity is done and dusted and none of the other debates even matter.
Since our pal has not come back I reckon we can say the case is sound - that 'god' doesn't matter but only the God of a particular religion, which is to say the Christian one and that means the Bible is the subject of debate, not theist abstracts. Now the God is under parameters. His actions, orders, directives, morals and promises are under scrutiny. Christians know that prayer doesn't work. They don';t know, but I'll remind them that they judge God using human morals (or they wouldn't need excuses). They know that science and logic rebuts the Bible , which is why so many dismiss logic and decry science (unless it suits them) and they know the problem of evil really means the world looks like it would if there was no god there.

We have heard all the apologetics, but it has no case. It is not 'the evidence shows a god', it is more ok the evidence rather shows no god, but maybe we are seeing it wrong'. What they call 'evidence' is really denial of the evidence.

POI
Prodigy

Post #230

Post by POI »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:43 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:10 pm

Since our pal has not come back I reckon we can say the case is sound - that 'god' doesn't matter but only the God of a particular religion, which is to say the Christian one and that means the Bible is the subject of debate, not theist abstracts. Now the God is under parameters. His actions, orders, directives, morals and promises are under scrutiny. Christians know that prayer doesn't work. They don';t know, but I'll remind them that they judge God using human morals (or they wouldn't need excuses). They know that science and logic rebuts the Bible , which is why so many dismiss logic and decry science (unless it suits them) and they know the problem of evil really means the world looks like it would if there was no god there.

We have heard all the apologetics, but it has no case. It is not 'the evidence shows a god', it is more ok the evidence rather shows no god, but maybe we are seeing it wrong'. What they call 'evidence' is really denial of the evidence.
All great points. Thus far, the only one to even try to challenge my (6) premises was AquinaforGod, in P6 alone. But I think he soon realized that this one too was sound. All and all, all theists have bailed. Which is why I still content that the 'divine hiddenness' topic clearly goes after the Christian god the best, to demonstrate it's unlikeliness. A close second would be prayer --> (http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... hp?t=41082).

I will still periodically update this topic, but do not expect much at all, from the Christian populous :(