THE "SONS OF GOD" WERE NEVER ANGELIC BEINGS

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

THE "SONS OF GOD" WERE NEVER ANGELIC BEINGS

Post #1

Post by Eddie Ramos »

It is commonly taught and believed that when the Bible makes reference to the sons of God in the Old Testament, that angels must be in view. The reason for this way of thinking is because of the belief that Christ made payment for sins at the cross rather than at the point of the world's foundation (which is a separate topic). The common thought is that there could have been no "sons of God" before the cross because no one was born again until that time. Or that no one could enter heaven until after the cross. But that is shown to be a great misconception when weighed against the whole of the scriptures.

I will defend the side that teaches that the term, "sons of God" was never a reference to angelic beings, but always and only to those who became truly born again. I will start with my supporting verse for anyone to offer rebuttal.

Hebrews 1:4–5 (KJV 1900)
Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they. 5 For unto which of the angels said he AT ANY TIME, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?

The answer is, to none of the angels was this said except to Christ. And through Christ, this term was also bestowed upon the elect of God who had become saved.

1 John 3:1 (KJV 1900)
Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.

Galatians 4:4–6 (KJV 1900)
4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, 5 To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. 6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.

Furthermore, it should be noted that in order to be a son, one must be begotten of the Father. Angelic beings were never said to be begotten, but rather created.

Colossians 1:15–16 (KJV 1900)
Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: 16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

Understanding this truth will help us understand the term "sons of God" as used in the following verses which also have been poorly interpreted due to a faulty initial understanding of the term "sons of God".

Genesis 6:2 (KJV 1900)
2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.

Genesis 6:4 (KJV 1900)
4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

Job 2:1 (KJV 1900)
Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them to present himself before the LORD.

Job 38:7 (KJV 1900)
7  When the morning stars sang together,
And all the sons of God shouted for joy?

The question for discussion is, do you believe that the term "sons of God" applies to angelic beings and why?

Thank you.
Last edited by Eddie Ramos on Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tcg
Savant

Re: THE "SONS OF GOD" WERE NEVER ANGELIC BEINGS

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to Eddie Ramos in post #1]

Moderator Action

Moved to Random Ramblings. Topics created in any of the debate subforums must include a clearly defined question for debate.

Moderator actions indicate that a thread/post has been locked, moved, merged, or split.

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

Post #3

Post by Eddie Ramos »

[Replying to Tcg in post #2]

Understood. I will edit accordingly. Thank you for the heads up.

Tcg
Savant

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to Eddie Ramos in post #3]

Moderator Action

Moved back to Theology, Doctrine, and Dogma based in the addition of a question for debate.

Moderator actions indicate that a thread/post has been locked, moved, merged, or split.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Eddie Ramos wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:33 pm
The question for discussion is, do you believe that the term "sons of God" applies to angelic beings and why?

Thank you.
That would depend, in certain context it applies to angels and in other context to humans (whether born again christians or Adam the man)
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Savant

Post #6

Post by 1213 »

Eddie Ramos wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:33 pm ...
Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they. 5 For unto which of the angels said he AT ANY TIME, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?

If not angels, what are they?

I think the difference between the angels and Jesus is, Jesus is "begotten son", the others can be just "sons". There is a difference in the way a person is called a son.

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

Post #7

Post by Eddie Ramos »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:22 am
Eddie Ramos wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:33 pm

Thank you.
That would depend, in certain context it applies to angels and in other context to humans (whether born again christians or Adam the man)
Thanks for your reply. But in light of Hebrews 1:5 which implies that no angelic being (but Christ) has ever been called a son of God, what context would lead you to conclude that anything but a true child of God is in view?

Thanks

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

Post #8

Post by Eddie Ramos »

1213 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:00 am

I think the difference between the angels and Jesus is, Jesus is "begotten son", the others can be just "sons". There is a difference in the way a person is called a son.
Thanks for your reply. Indeed not angelic beings, but the phrase "sons of God" is always only used to refer to those who are true children of God who were redeemed from their sins. Hebrew 1:5 helps us put the angels in their proper place as God asks the question:

Hebrews 1:5 (KJV 1900)
For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?

The answer is, to none of the angels (except Christ) was this said to by God. That's the whole point of God declaring Hebrews 1:5, to teach us that this title belongs to Christ alone, and through Christ's redemptive work, all his chosen people also receive sonship status.

1 John 3:1 (KJV 1900)
Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.

Savant

Post #9

Post by 1213 »

Eddie Ramos wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:28 pm

Thanks for your reply. Indeed not angelic beings, but the phrase "sons of God" is always only used to refer to those who are true children of God who were redeemed from their sins. Hebrew 1:5 helps us put the angels in their proper place as God asks the question:
I just want to make sure I understand you correctly. You think "sons of God" in these scriptures means only humans, not angels?

that God’s sons saw that men’s daughters were beautiful, and they took for themselves wives of all that they chose. Yahweh said, “My Spirit will not strive with man forever, because he also is flesh; yet will his days be one hundred twenty years.” The Nephilim were in the earth in those days, and also after that, when God’s sons came to men’s daughters. They bore children to them: the same were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown. Yahweh saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
Gen. 6:2-5

Now it happened on the day when the sons of God came to present themselves before Yahweh, that Satan also came among them.
Job 1:6

I said, “You are gods, All of you are sons of the Most High. Nevertheless you shall die like men, And fall like one of the rulers.”
Ps. 82:6-7

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

Post #10

Post by Eddie Ramos »

1213 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:11 am
Eddie Ramos wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:28 pm

I just want to make sure I understand you correctly. You think "sons of God" in these scriptures means only humans, not angels?

that God’s sons saw that men’s daughters were beautiful, and they took for themselves wives of all that they chose. Yahweh said, “My Spirit will not strive with man forever, because he also is flesh; yet will his days be one hundred twenty years.” The Nephilim were in the earth in those days, and also after that, when God’s sons came to men’s daughters. They bore children to them: the same were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown. Yahweh saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
Gen. 6:2-5

Now it happened on the day when the sons of God came to present themselves before Yahweh, that Satan also came among them.
Job 1:6

I said, “You are gods, All of you are sons of the Most High. Nevertheless you shall die like men, And fall like one of the rulers.”
Ps. 82:6-7
Exactly.