JehovahsWitness and them 144,000

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Conversator
Student

JehovahsWitness and them 144,000

Post #1

Post by Conversator »

Alright, a little background. I live in an orthodox Jewish neighborhood, and one day some JehovahsWitnesses came into our neighborhood and caused problems. They knocked on my door, told me I'm going to hell and asked if I was OK with that. They also said something about 144,000 people go to heaven and offered to sell me a pamplhet that talked about it. It was two bucks by the way, and no, I didn't buy it.

A few days later our synagogue was vandalized, the camera footage was reviewed and it was the same two JehovahsWitnesses who had knocked on my door. They broke two windows and threw a dead cat in there. They were jailed, but not charged with a hate crime, but that's another story altogether.

Out of curiosity, what did that two dollar pamphlet say? I doubt it said to kill cats and break windows. 144,000 people go to heaven? OK, fair enough its your religion, but how do those 144,000 merit entrance into heaven? Please don't say, selling two dollar pamphlets.
I prefer Coca-Cola

Savant

Re: JehovahsWitness and them 144,000

Post #11

Post by 1213 »

Conversator wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:59 am ...Out of curiosity, what did that two dollar pamphlet say? I doubt it said to kill cats and break windows. 144,000 people go to heaven? OK, fair enough its your religion, but how do those 144,000 merit entrance into heaven? Please don't say, selling two dollar pamphlets.
I think Bible is better authority in this case. It tells about 144,000 people who come out of the great tribulation. And they are Jews.

I heard the number of those who were sealed, one hundred forty-four thousand, sealed out of every tribe of the children of Israel:... ...One of the elders answered, saying to me, “These who are arrayed in white robes, who are they, and from where did they come?” I told him, “My lord, you know.” He said to me, “These are those who came out of the great tribulation. They washed their robes, and made them white in the Lamb’s blood.
Rev. 7:4,13-14

They sing a new song before the throne, and before the four living creatures and the elders. No one could learn the song except the one hundred forty-four thousand, those who had been redeemed out of the earth. These are those who were not defiled with women, for they are virgins. These are those who follow the Lamb wherever he goes. These were redeemed by Jesus from among men, the first fruits to God and to the Lamb. In their mouth was found no lie, for they are blameless.
Rev. 14:3-5

This doesn't mean only 144,000 are saved. In addition to those, there will be many people from other nations that survive the great tribulation.

After these things I looked, and behold, a great multitude, which no man could number, out of every nation and of all tribes, peoples, and languages, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, dressed in white robes, with palm branches in their hands.
Rev. 7:9

Interesting question is, do Jehovas Witnesses think they are Jews.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #12

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to Conversator in post #10
Believe it, don't believe it. "slog through" Jewish misery or dismiss it altogether. Going to deny the holocaust next? As is done in the university I attend! This Christian website is cringe!
I actually took your suggestion a step further and googled "vandalized synagogues Jehovah's Witnesses" and still haven't found what you describe. Can you at least give a specific date?

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #13

Post by benchwarmer »

Athetotheist wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:16 am [Replying to Conversator in post #10
Believe it, don't believe it. "slog through" Jewish misery or dismiss it altogether. Going to deny the holocaust next? As is done in the university I attend! This Christian website is cringe!
I actually took your suggestion a step further and googled "vandalized synagogues Jehovah's Witnesses" and still haven't found what you describe. Can you at least give a specific date?
I couldn't find it either. It's not that I believe it didn't happen (whackadoos vandalize stuff all the time), but I doubt the people in this account would be supported by the Watchtower. It's unlikely window breaking or dead cat flinging are JW policy. That actually sounds more like satanists, but who knows.

I also didn't realize JWs sold their pamphlets. I guess that could be because the door is already closing as soon as they tell me who they are...

Conversator, sorry to hear this happened in your community. The sooner religion goes away (I know, keep dreaming), the sooner we have one less thing to be violent over with each other. It always amazes me at the irony when members of one religious group commits violence on another.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #14

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to benchwarmer in post #13
It's unlikely window breaking or dead cat flinging are JW policy. That actually sounds more like satanists, but who knows.
I've never heard of JW's doing anything like this either, but neither do I think it was satanists. I think they would just put up a statue of Baphomet or something.
The sooner religion goes away (I know, keep dreaming), the sooner we have one less thing to be violent over with each other. It always amazes me at the irony when members of one religious group commits violence on another.
Isn't that just lumping the victims in with the attackers?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #15

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Conversator wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:59 am Alright, a little background. I live in an orthodox Jewish neighborhood, and one day some JehovahsWitnesses came into our neighborhood and caused problems. They knocked on my door, told me I'm going to hell ...
Really? I think everybody, at least everybody on this forum, knows Jehovahs Witnesses dont believe in hell.
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #16

Conversator wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:59 am.. [they] offered to sell me a pamplhet ... selling two dollar pamphlets.
Really? Sell you a pamflet for $2? It is a matter of public record that Jehovahs Witnesses do not sell their literature, they give it away for free and have done so for over 30 years.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #17

Conversator wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:59 am A few days later our synagogue was vandalized...
Are you sure you have your facts right? Do you have a reference? Jehovahs Witnesses are known in their communities for being law abiding people that are not prone to vandelism. Could it be that you are trying to say that the local Jehovahs Witness place of worship (known as a KINGDOM HALL) was vandelized ? I ask because a quick google shows Jehovahs Witnesses as VICTIMS of vandelism is not an entirely unheard of event.

viewtopic.php?p=1110503#p1110503
To learn more please go to other posts related to

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS MEETINGS , KINGDOM HALLS and ... JEHOVAH'S WITNESS MUSIC

I can find nothing about them commiting vandelism; at best your experience was an anomally.
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:45 am, edited 6 times in total.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #18

Post by benchwarmer »

Athetotheist wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:21 am
The sooner religion goes away (I know, keep dreaming), the sooner we have one less thing to be violent over with each other. It always amazes me at the irony when members of one religious group commits violence on another.
Isn't that just lumping the victims in with the attackers?
No, perhaps I wasn't very clear. I believe religion is the root cause of a lot of violence, especially against other religions. Now don't get me wrong, there are many, absolutely beautiful people in all religions. Most religions also have some form of command to love each other. However, we all know that 'group think' that can happen when one group seems to be trampling on the rights/culture/ideas/land/etc of another then things can get violent based on beliefs.

I'm simply saying that if we were able to remove one reason to have differences with each other, it would be one less reason to be violent. I suppose the other solution would be to have only one religion (I know, the dream of every religion).

At the end of the day, I think most of us (even those currently here disagreeing with each other over all manner of things) simply want to live our lives without violence. If there happens to be an eternal 'bliss' after this life then everyone wants to be there too. It would be nice if some religions weren't causing so much grief trying to get everyone to a 'bliss' no one can see while ruining some peoples 'bliss' in the here and now.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #19

Conversator wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:59 am Alright, a little background. ...
Okay so to get your story straight ...
Two Jehovah's Witnesses knocked on your door, told you you were going to a place Jehovahs Witnesses don't believe in, offered to sell you for 2 dollars literature JWs actually give away for free then vandelized your place if worship although thus far there are zero reports of Jehovahs Witness vandelism against synagogues or any other religious establishment (but many official reports and governmental rulings worldwide confirming Jehovahs Witnesses as victims of religiously motivated hate crime). And were actually jailed but you cannot provide a direct link to the actual story for anyone to verify this...
Does that about sum up your background story ?
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Diogenes
Guru

Post #20

Post by Diogenes »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:45 pm
Conversator wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:59 am.. [they] offered to sell me a pamplhet ... selling two dollar pamphlets.
Really? Sell you a pamflet for $2? It is a matter of public record that Jehovahs Witnesses do not sell their literature, they give it away for free and have done so for over 30 years.
Yes, but they sold their literature until a Supreme Court case ruled they were liable for taxes. So they stopped setting a price on it to avoid paying those taxes. Donations gladly accepted. :)
Prompted by a recent U.S. Supreme Court decision upholding state sales taxes on religious items and books, Jehovah’s Witnesses have instructed their 817,000 U.S. members not to suggest any price for the books and magazines they offer door-to-door.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html

But "donations" are gladly accepted. :)
"Jehovah's Witnesses accept donations if offered by householders, and are instructed to invite donations in countries where soliciting funds is permitted."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah%2 ... blications

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius