Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Thomas123
Sage

How old is God? Why the chair?

Post #1

Post by Thomas123 »

Mark 16:19
19 So then the Lord Jesus, after he had spoken to them, was taken up into heaven and sat down at the right hand of God.

Our perceptions regarding God are now fully anesthetized.
Just as Love is all flowers and red hearts God is a wizard on a throne.

You cannot evolve into God using these infantile analogies.

Many anti-God debaters are using these caricature pop-ups to try and sound profound only to be met by a barrage of placard wielding zombies.

Do we need to change course completely?

Thomas123
Sage

Re: How old is God? Why the chair?

Post #21

Post by Thomas123 »

1213, TRANSPONDER,

an interesting cross of opinions here. You may both have correctness in your submissions.

God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.
John 4:24

I like this too,1213

The kingdom of heaven is near, it is inside, and you cannot access it through craven images. There is an arrogant assumption in them that destroys the frequency of connection.imho
Thanks!

Miles
Savant

Post #22

Post by Miles »

1213 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:45 am
Miles wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:24 pm ...
consider what Isaiah 6:1 says:
(New Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition)
1 In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, high and lofty; and the hem of his robe filled the temple.

And what 1 Kings 22:19 says:
19 Then Micaiah said, “Therefore hear the word of the Lord: I saw the Lord sitting on his throne, with all the host of heaven standing beside him to the right and to the left of him.
Could it be that the "Lord" in those doesn't mean the one and only true God, but for example Jesus?
Before J.C. was even born? I hardly think so.

Savant

Post #23

Post by 1213 »

Miles wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:13 pm
1 In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, high and lofty; and the hem of his robe filled the temple.

19 Then Micaiah said, “Therefore hear the word of the Lord: I saw the Lord sitting on his throne, with all the host of heaven standing beside him to the right and to the left of him.
Could it be that the "Lord" in those doesn't mean the one and only true God, but for example Jesus?

By what the Bible tells, Jesus was before he was born about 2000 years ago.

Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I tell you, before Abraham came into existence, I AM*.
John 8:58

*the original word means I have been, or I was.

Thomas123
Sage

Post #24

Post by Thomas123 »

Hi 1213,
Are you seriously going to rely on a literal translation of John hearsay? What if John is just building a myth around Jesus, for his readers?

Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I tell you, before Abraham came into existence, I AM*.

You buy this as read to say that Jesus predates Biblical Scripture, and use this as a case for saying that the Lord of Isaiah and Kings is Jesus sitting on a Divine throne?

Is that what you are saying 1213?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #25

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Thomas123 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:15 am Hi 1213,
Are you seriously going to rely on a literal translation of John hearsay? What if John is just building a myth around Jesus, for his readers?

You buy this as read to say that Jesus predates Biblical Scripture, and use this as a case for saying that the Lord of Isaiah and Kings is Jesus sitting on a Divine throne?

I've no doubt that's the meaning in all 4 gospels and set out explicitly in John - the spirit within Jesus (whether Godly, or Adamic) predated Abraham and beats Abraham, Moses, the Laws of Moses and the Temple, and that is the message of the Gospels.

The question then is whether because the gospels say so, we should believe them? Even if Jesus thought so, he could be wrong. But of course I have a theory....that probably not a word of what Jesus supposedly said is what he actually did say. But that's all part of the debate.

Miles
Savant

Post #26

Post by Miles »

1213 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:58 am
Miles wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:13 pm

By what the Bible tells, Jesus was before he was born about 2000 years ago.
So what? the books of Isaiah and 1 Kings were written well before that.

"The book of Isaiah was written sometime during the ministry of Isaiah (approximately 740–701 B.C.)".
source: LDS web site

"The books of Kings, . . . written during the Babylonian Exile (c. 550 bc) of the Jews."
source: Encyclopedia Britannica

FYI, Please note that "B.C." and "bc" denote all the years before Jesus was born.

Savant

Post #27

Post by 1213 »

Thomas123 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:15 am Hi 1213,

I think it is what the Bible tells, Jesus predates Abraham. And it may be that then the Lord sitting on a thrown is Jesus. However, I understand that this just an interpretation. Maybe it is not correct. However, by what the New Testament tells, Jesus sits on that thrown in the end, so it would not be far fetched idea to think he did so a long time ago.

Bible tells also that things were created through Jesus and Jesus is the firstborn of creation. That suggests Jesus existed long before Biblical scriptures.

who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by him were all things created, in the heavens and on the earth, things visible and things invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers; all things have been created through him, and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things are held together.
Col. 1:15-17

I think it is also good to notice, Bible says God is invisible.

However, I understand that you may not believe what the Bible tells. This is only about what is said in the Bible, not about is it actually also true.

Thomas123
Sage

Post #28

Post by Thomas123 »

Thanks for your honesty here, 1213,, ...I would love for you to explore ,Zoroastrianism, with me on the other thread as your mystical ideas resonate with the theological concepts contained there.
Thanks!

Savant

Post #29

Post by 1213 »

Thomas123 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:54 am Thanks for your honesty here, 1213,, ...I would love for you to explore ,Zoroastrianism, with me on the other thread as your mystical ideas resonate with the theological concepts contained there.
Thanks!
Thanks, but I don't think I have anything more to say about it at the moment.