Mormon Or Jehovah's Witness?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

SacredBishop
Apprentice

Mormon Or Jehovah's Witness?

Post #1

Post by SacredBishop »

I can't make up my mind. Should I be a Mormon or a Jehovah's Witness. Both religions sound very reasonable to me, but unfortunately neither are in my city. I would have to move, but first I need to decide which religion is correct.

Joseph Smith or Joseph Rutherford? They were both extremely intelligent men, and certainly well respected by their peers. I know every other Christian denomination is horribly wrong, and full of heresies. Help me decide. Which religion is correct?

I believe the Bible predicted the church would be restored to glory in the 1800s in America. Both religions originated in the 1800s, thus my dilemma.
Last edited by SacredBishop on Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tcg
Savant

Re: Mormon Or Jehovah's Witness?

Post #21

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:44 am
SacredBishop wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:29 pm Joseph Smith or Joseph Rutherford?
One should not choose ones religion based on any human;
Well, that's gonna be a bit troublesome given that all religions are created by and run by humans.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #22

Post by TRANSPONDER »

SacredBishop wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:28 pm
Miles wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:23 pm
SacredBishop wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:29 pm I can't make up my mind. Should I be a Mormon or a Jehovah's Witness. Both religions sound very reasonable to me, but unfortunately neither are in my city. I would have to move, but first I need to decide which religion is correct.

Joseph Smith or Joseph Rutherford? They were both extremely intelligent men, and certainly well respected by their peers. I know every other Christian denomination is horribly wrong, and full of heresies. Help me decide. Which religion is correct?

I believe blood transfusions are wrong, but I also believe that Jesus came to America and preached the Gospel. Decisions, decisions ..
Ever consider Scientology?

No, I don't believe in science.
:D I think you may have just won 'Best joke of the year award for 2023.....

..apart from the ones Miles didn't make: "Have you considered Scientism?"

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #23

Post by Difflugia »

brunumb wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:43 am
Tcg wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:38 am So where does the Bible predict the church would be restored to glory when the Statue of Liberty was given?
For the life of me I can't see how "we have a little sister and she has no breasts" translates to the Statue of Liberty. And, if one reads the surrounding verses, that interpretation makes even less sense.
You obviously never sat in a Seventh-Day Adventist or Jehovah's Witness Bible study (The USA in Bible Prophecy). "Makes sense" is hardly the most important exegetical criterion behind most prophecy interpretation and probably isn't even in the top ten.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #24

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Difflugia wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:09 pm
Tcg wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:38 am So where does the Bible predict the church would be restored to glory when the Statue of Liberty was given?
For the life of me I can't see how "we have a little sister and she has no breasts" translates to the Statue of Liberty. And, if one reads the surrounding verses, that interpretation makes even less sense.
You obviously never sat in a Seventh-Day Adventist or Jehovah's Witness Bible study (The USA in Bible Prophecy). "Makes sense" is hardly the most important exegetical criterion behind most prophecy interpretation and probably isn't even in the top ten.
Maybe Matthew 24 is the prophecy that was in mind: 15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)
16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:
17 Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house:
18 Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes.
19 And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!
20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:
21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

Which maybe answers the question; pick LDS - for when the Lamanites (Native Americans) saw the statue go up , they knew their days were numbered unless the days of the men with Bible in one hand and rifle in the other were shortened by some saying 'Hey, maybe these people deserve to live, as well.'

SacredBishop
Apprentice

Post #25

Post by SacredBishop »

Tcg wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:49 am [Replying to SacredBishop in post #1]

Which looks better to you?

Tcg
Yes, Mormons look better on the outside, also they're the richest Church organization in the world. That does impress me. The archeological evidence for the Book of Mormon is also impressive. The scholarship of Jehovah's Witnesses is second to none, and I am convinced Jehovah is the correct pronunciation for the Tetragrammaton.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #26

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Tetragrammaton?

Is that Star Wars, or Marvel?
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

SacredBishop
Apprentice

Post #27

Post by SacredBishop »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:58 pm Tetragrammaton?

Is that Star Wars, or Marvel?
Its a Nintendo game, but also a fancy word for God's personal name YHVH. The Nintendo game Tetragrammaton was about deciphering the name. Yahweh, Jehovah, Yahvah, Yohavu, etc. The game was an utter failure.

historia
Prodigy

Post #28

Post by historia »

For the life of me I can't see how "we have a little sister and she has no breasts" translates to the Statue of Liberty.
It'll make a lot more sense once you realize you're responding to a parody account.

Tcg
Savant

Post #29

Post by Tcg »

SacredBishop wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:11 pm The scholarship of Jehovah's Witnesses is second to none, and I am convinced Jehovah is the correct pronunciation for the Tetragrammaton.
What scholarship led you to reach this conclusion? Did it include a study of the origin of the word "Jehovah?"

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #30

Post by Tcg »

Tcg wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:38 am
SacredBishop wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:24 am
Tcg wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:56 am
SacredBishop wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:35 am
Tcg wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:16 am
SacredBishop wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:29 pm
I believe the Bible predicted the church would be restored to glory in the 1800s in America. Both religions originated in the 1800s, thus my dilemma.
Do you know where the Bible did this. I'm not aware of any mention of America or the 1800s.

Tcg
Song of Solomon 8:8 " we have a little sister and she has no breasts." This refers to the statue of Liberty, thus to America.
How about the 1800s. Did Solomon mention them somewhere?

Tcg
The statue was given in the 1800s.
So where does the Bible predict the church would be restored to glory when the Statue of Liberty was given?

Tcg
I'm wondering if you overlooked this question. Additionally, where did this teaching about the Statue of Liberty being mentioned in the Bible come from? Is it an example of JW scholarship?

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom