Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Thomas123
Sage

Was Jesus homeless? Matthew 8:20

Post #1

Post by Thomas123 »

Matthew 8:20

Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.”

Is this quote simply about accomodation or can we reasonably apply metaphor to it?

What do you think?

Thanks!

Thomas123
Sage

Re: Was Jesus homeless? Matthew 8:20

Post #41

Post by Thomas123 »

Hi TRANSPONDER,
Do you think Peter, the first 'Pope' ever lived, and if yes do you think he knew the Jesus guy?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #42

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Thomas123 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:28 am Hi TRANSPONDER,
Do you think Peter, the first 'Pope' ever lived, and if yes do you think he knew the Jesus guy?
I am sure that Simon Peter (Cephas) really lived and was head of the Nazorenes and their relations with the gentiles (Associate Jews who just observed the Noahide Laws) and we get the wrangle he had with Paul about this - but only from Paul's side (Galatians 2.11). I actually doubt that he ever went to Rome, but it is possible as there were evidently a mix of Gentiles and Jews in a Roman Nazorene church (1) to which Paul wrote (Romans) trying to convince them of his views, which were not theirs otherwise why?

So while Peter might have gone to Rome for whatever reason, (for all we know he might have instigated the fire of Rome) and one could even call him the first Pope, I reckon he would have been as unlike a present day or even Renaissance Pope as Charles III is unlike (2) William I.

(1) in the time of Claudius and Nero, from the mid 40's AD to the 60's. When I recall that Suetonius tells us of Claudius getting rid of 'Jews' who were causing upsets. "He expelled the Jews from the city of Rome, who had been continually raising disturbances at the goading of Chrestus."

(2) Or maybe not... "The king leaped from the first of the longships onto the shingle at Pevensey and fell headlong in the shallows, poor old fellow.
"Fear not...that was deliberate" he gasped, as he was helped to his feet. "I was drinking a little sea water as it cures cancer, prevents sunburn and makes you invulnerable to arrows. Now bring forth my Camel that i may mount her..and let us go and set fire to this horrible English architecture as I can't stand it... Then let us all meet at the Apple tree where we shall all hug it..."

Thomas123
Sage

Post #43

Post by Thomas123 »

And,TRANSPONDER,......if yes do you think he knew the Jesus guy?

Apologies for the small post but , Peter is real, so what about him being a witness to the events in the Jesus narrative? T

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #44

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Thomas123 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:15 pm And,TRANSPONDER,......if yes do you think he knew the Jesus guy?

Apologies for the small post but , Peter is real, so what about him being a witness to the events in the Jesus narrative? T

That's fine, I should have said. Yes, I incline to the theory, based on the evidence (interpretation of) that Paul's letters are real, up to Philemon, say. And thus Peter, Simon and John, who apparently once knew Jesus, were real and thus Jesus was real.

This isn't earth -shaking. Many doubters and Bible -critics accept that Jesus lived but is misunderstood, misinterpreted and misrepresented. That, not whether there was an actual Jesus, is what the debate is really about,.

Even the Mythological Jesus' apologetic is actually about mythological elements (Isis and Horus = Madonna and child is one, I am sure) grafted onto an actual Jesus rather than saying He was invented out of just various mythological figures.

Now, as to what Peter and indeed John and James witnessed, we have the crucifixion, which I pretty much credit even without Tacitus supporting the claim (the only extra Biblical reference I think counts for much). There is not much more apart from this mysterious reference to the Last Supper on the night Jesus was betrayed. This is not much by way of biography, and I have already touched on Peter (and James) still being apparently observing Jews, and never mind Jesus supposedly declaring all foods clean.(Mark 7.19). In addition, Paul claims he got nothing from men and implies that he was given his doctrine by divine revelation, which doesn't alter his wrestling it out on paper to make it work (Romans). In short, whatever Peter and the others of the Jesus party got from Jesus (and I do accept it included a resurrection and a promise of coming again) his doctrine, which is the basis of Christian doctrine was not what he got from the disciples, nor what they got from Jesus.

Thomas123
Sage

Post #45

Post by Thomas123 »

Thanks TRANSPONDER,...you bring me nothing but good news.

Question:
Peter is real, so what about him being a witness to the events in the Jesus narrative?

Answer:
That's fine, I should have said. Yes, I incline to the theory, based on the evidence (interpretation of) that Paul's letters are real, up to Philemon, say. And thus Peter, Simon and John, who apparently once knew Jesus, were real and thus Jesus was real.

This isn't earth -shaking. Many doubters and Bible -critics accept that Jesus lived but is misunderstood, misinterpreted and misrepresented. That, not whether there was an actual Jesus, is what the debate is really about,.

Even the Mythological Jesus' apologetic is actually about mythological elements (Isis and Horus = Madonna and child is one, I am sure) grafted onto an actual Jesus rather than saying He was invented out of just various mythological figures.

Now, as to what Peter and indeed John and James witnessed, we have the crucifixion, which I pretty much credit even without Tacitus supporting the claim (the only extra Biblical reference I think counts for much). There is not much more apart from this mysterious reference to the Last Supper on the night Jesus was betrayed. This is not much by way of biography, and I have already touched on Peter (and James) still being apparently observing Jews, and never mind Jesus supposedly declaring all foods clean.(Mark 7.19). In addition, Paul claims he got nothing from men and implies that he was given his doctrine by divine revelation, which doesn't alter his wrestling it out on paper to make it work (Romans). In short, whatever Peter and the others of the Jesus party got from Jesus (and I do accept it included a resurrection and a promise of coming again) his doctrine, which is the basis of Christian doctrine was not what he got from the disciples, nor what they got from Jesus.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #46

Post by TRANSPONDER »

[Replying to Thomas123 in post #45]

I hope that I bring what is plain to be seen, if one just looks, and saying that I am speculation where I am speculating. It's up to the individual whether the result is good or bad news.