Experiencing God - (An Instructional How-to)

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Experiencing God - (An Instructional How-to)

Post #1

Post by POI »

I have been given (yet another) way to apparently experience God. (i.e. viewtopic.php?t=39327&start=360):

"I am asking if you are willing to do it now. Rosary for 9 days in a row. You are being offered the chance to experience God."

In another thread (viewtopic.php?t=40313), I ultimately explained how I was a devout believer for decades. And yet, I never felt I experienced any contact from God. For years/decades, I tried all sorts of methods. I asked others, and sure enough, many would give me their anecdotal accounts. Above, is just another example of a way in which people have given me, over the years, to possibly experience god. But fear not, as the instructions are usually fail-safe. Meaning, if it still does not work, and one is not deemed a liar for not really trying, then the answer MUST INSTEAD BE that it is not yet God's will for that one to experience god. This, of course, begs other questions...

For Debate:

1) I have been given a 9-day-challenge. I will probably pass on trying it myself. Why? I have already been given all sorts of methods, which apparently also worked for the individuals giving the instructions, but not for me.

What is MOST likely (A, B, C, D)?

A) God communicates with some and not others?
B) God communicates with no one, because there is no such god, and some are merely experiencing self deception?
C) God communicates with everyone, but some people don't notice?
D) God exists, but either never has, and/or no longer, communicates with anyone?

I'm going with B).

2) Is anyone down to take this 9-day-challenge and tell me how it goes?
Last edited by POI on Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:59 pm, edited 6 times in total.
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Re: Experiencing God - (An Instructional How-to)

Post #2

Post by Purple Knight »

POI wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:18 amOf the two choices, what is MORE likely between (A or B)?

B) God communicates with no one, and some are merely experiencing self deception?
C) God communicates with everyone and some people don't notice.

Despite there being a third choice, if the God of the Bible is real I'm going to say A. God does have favourites. Some people are prophets and some not. Some people have special protection and some not. Some Peoples have special favour too.

This song came on the radio and actually made me cry a little because if any of this spiritual stuff is real, this guy is not seeing the God of the Bible, which is not a deity of nature. What he is experiencing is something older and more primal. And he's thanking the God of the Bible for it who might not care about him at all. Imagine how sad it would be if the old powers, who don't have any power left anymore because no one worships them, had actually spent some of the tiny spark they had left, and reached out to someone to give him comfort and happiness, and he turned around and laid his praise on the Bible God, empowering a god who was sitting there on his golden throne laughing about it.

The Tanager
Savant

Post #3

Post by The Tanager »

[Replying to POI in post #1]

I think one should include C) as a logical option. Of the three, what’s your reason for going with B?

The Tanager
Savant

Post #4

Post by The Tanager »

[Replying to Purple Knight in post #2]

How does having a different kind of communication, different levels of protection, or different levels of favor, mean that God communicates with some but not others? In different ways, sure, but why not at all to some?

POI
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by POI »

Purple Knight wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:30 pm
POI wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:18 amOf the two choices, what is MORE likely between (A or B)?

B) God communicates with no one, and some are merely experiencing self deception?
C) God communicates with everyone and some people don't notice.

Despite there being a third choice, if the God of the Bible is real I'm going to say A. God does have favourites. Some people are prophets and some not. Some people have special protection and some not. Some Peoples have special favour too.
Since a couple of people have suggested, I went ahead and added option C) into the OP.

And to answer to your response, why did you choose A)? Meaning, do you actually believe there IS a God, and He is selective in who He contacts? If so, why? Or, do you believe there is no such god, but if there was, He would still opt to be selective?

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

POI
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by POI »

The Tanager wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:50 pm [Replying to POI in post #1]

I think one should include C) as a logical option. Of the three, what’s your reason for going with B?
Per request, I have added option C), and an option D) :)

What's my reason? Well, to simplify, because I no longer believe the Bible God exists -- (per what I already explained in my other thread, and also linked to it here in the OP (i.e.) "Where's God?".

Now, what say you? A), B), C), or D)? And more importantly, why?

Also, care to take the 9-day-challenge, as presented by another theist? Or, do you already freely communicate with God, by other means? And if so, please share your process?

brunumb
Savant

Post #7

Post by brunumb »

If God is communicating with people, how could they possibly not notice? This is an omnipotent being we're talking about. If his intent is to communicate, then there should be no way that anyone could not notice. What we keep getting are endless excuses which ultimately blame the receiver rather than God. As far as I'm concerned, people claiming to be in communication with God are either self-deluded due to the depth of their religious belief, or are indulging in downright deceit.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #8

Post by Shem Yoshi »

Do you need God to "communicate" with you to have faith in him?
“Them that die'll be the lucky ones.”

Savant

Post #9

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:18 am ...
B) God communicates with no one, because there is no such god, and some are merely experiencing self deception?
C) God communicates with everyone, but some people don't notice?
D) God exists, but either never has, and/or no longer, communicates with anyone?
But isn't the Bible contact from God, because it has His message in it? If you don't like that message, why expect something else from a new contact from God?

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by Purple Knight »

The Tanager wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:50 pm [Replying to Purple Knight in post #2]

How does having a different kind of communication, different levels of protection, or different levels of favor, mean that God communicates with some but not others? In different ways, sure, but why not at all to some?
It just means he might only bless some people with a direct line to him and not others. It's not out of the question. He's not the God of Equality; he's the God of one Chosen People.
POI wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:37 pmAnd to answer to your response, why did you choose A)? Meaning, do you actually believe there IS a God, and He is selective in who He contacts? If so, why? Or, do you believe there is no such god, but if there was, He would still opt to be selective?
I don't believe God is real but if I can't give it the benefit of the doubt when I speculate, and I can do this for all my nerd stuff like Star Trek, then I have a serious bias and something is wrong with me.

In the context of Biblical canon it's clear God has favourites. Some people have experiences (I think Elijah is one) and some don't. Some people talk to God, and some don't. When God wipes people out, or has them wiped out, he never says, "For I have spoken to the Amalekites and told them to correct their evil ways and they have not done so." I don't think he speaks to everyone.

As for the reason he would be selective, idk. Why do I love my cats and cuddle them but not every street cat? Why do we feed our children and not the starving children in Africa?

It might be as simple as it being a God of the Chosen People. Maybe other Peoples also have gods that speak to them. You don't get a lot of Jews or Muslims saying they have personal experiences with Odin, or Shiva.