Experiencing God - (An Instructional How-to)

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Experiencing God - (An Instructional How-to)

Post #1

Post by POI »

I have been given (yet another) way to apparently experience God. (i.e. viewtopic.php?t=39327&start=360):

"I am asking if you are willing to do it now. Rosary for 9 days in a row. You are being offered the chance to experience God."

In another thread (viewtopic.php?t=40313), I ultimately explained how I was a devout believer for decades. And yet, I never felt I experienced any contact from God. For years/decades, I tried all sorts of methods. I asked others, and sure enough, many would give me their anecdotal accounts. Above, is just another example of a way in which people have given me, over the years, to possibly experience god. But fear not, as the instructions are usually fail-safe. Meaning, if it still does not work, and one is not deemed a liar for not really trying, then the answer MUST INSTEAD BE that it is not yet God's will for that one to experience god. This, of course, begs other questions...

For Debate:

1) I have been given a 9-day-challenge. I will probably pass on trying it myself. Why? I have already been given all sorts of methods, which apparently also worked for the individuals giving the instructions, but not for me.

What is MOST likely (A, B, C, D)?

A) God communicates with some and not others?
B) God communicates with no one, because there is no such god, and some are merely experiencing self deception?
C) God communicates with everyone, but some people don't notice?
D) God exists, but either never has, and/or no longer, communicates with anyone?

I'm going with B).

2) Is anyone down to take this 9-day-challenge and tell me how it goes?
Last edited by POI on Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:59 pm, edited 6 times in total.
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

POI
Prodigy

Re: Experiencing God - (An Instructional How-to)

Post #51

Post by POI »

The Tanager wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:20 pm
POI wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:01 amAbove looks to remain the crux of this thread. Here is where you and I diverge greatly. I may jump back in here and [edit] this response. But I would first like to let is marinate for a while :)
When you do, please be clearer about how/where we diverge.
Here --> "We should go with what makes the most sense to us..... it’s possible that God is talking to me. I think the evidence for God’s existence, Jesus’ resurrection, and the reliability of the Bible makes better sense of all of this versus atheism or belief in a different God."

On the contrary, what makes most sense to me, verses you, is self deception.

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

The Tanager
Savant

Post #52

Post by The Tanager »

POI wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:57 pm
The Tanager wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:20 pmWhen you do, please be clearer about how/where we diverge.
Here --> "We should go with what makes the most sense to us..... it’s possible that God is talking to me. I think the evidence for God’s existence, Jesus’ resurrection, and the reliability of the Bible makes better sense of all of this versus atheism or belief in a different God."

On the contrary, what makes most sense to me, verses you, is self deception.
Oh, I thought you might be saying something else. Thanks for clarifying. Yes, these are our different conclusions. We diverge earlier in the thought process, though, it seems to me. We don't agree right up to the conclusion and then diverge; we disagree on the truth of the premises that our conclusions are built upon.

brunumb
Savant

Post #53

Post by brunumb »

Shem Yoshi wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:01 am But hearing comes by Faith.
How do you reconcile that with what POI said earlier?
Why should I continue in faith, after 30+ years of trying to communicate with God, and no success? Isn't this suggesting insanity? Please remember, God apparently wants a relationship with me.
Decades of faith and not hearing God. You've got to wonder.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #54

Post by Shem Yoshi »

brunumb wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:51 pm
Why should I continue in faith, after 30+ years of trying to communicate with God, and no success? Isn't this suggesting insanity? Please remember, God apparently wants a relationship with me.
I think it is totally impossible to come to the conclusion POI has come to, with faith
“Them that die'll be the lucky ones.”

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #55

Post by Shem Yoshi »

With Faith in God, you could hope in good faith all your life for things you don't know. Without faith you couldn't even wait a minute.

With Faith, anything God could do could encourage your faith. Everything God could do could make your faith grow.

With Faith, God could speak to you through his word, his people, and any other ways to make your faith grow. Without faith you'd never hear it.

With Faith, God could walk with you your entire life, and that's all you would hope for. Without faith, you'd never know it.

I don't think the original post dilemma is possible with faith.

POI
Prodigy

Post #56

Post by POI »

Shem Yoshi wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:15 pm
brunumb wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:51 pm
I think it is totally impossible to come to the conclusion POI has come to, with faith
And yet, you have not given your rebuttal. I gave you reasons. You basically ignored them. This is not how a debate works. The "nuh-uh" defense is not a victory,

POI
Prodigy

Post #57

Post by POI »

Shem Yoshi wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:57 pm With Faith in God, you could hope in good faith all your life for things you don't know. Without faith you couldn't even wait a minute.

With Faith, anything God could do could encourage your faith. Everything God could do could make your faith grow.

With Faith, God could speak to you through his word, his people, and any other ways to make your faith grow. Without faith you'd never hear it.

With Faith, God could walk with you your entire life, and that's all you would hope for. Without faith, you'd never know it.

As I've stated, many times now, I tried for decades, and nothing.

In essence, you are saying, "continue to have hope/trust/confidence/belief, no matter what." This methodology can be applied to basically any claim/belief, all-the-same. Why not just apply this methodology to every claim?

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #58

Post by Shem Yoshi »

POI wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:26 pm
Shem Yoshi wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:57 pm With Faith in God, you could hope in good faith all your life for things you don't know. Without faith you couldn't even wait a minute.

In essence, you are saying, "continue to have hope/trust/confidence/belief, no matter what." This methodology can be applied to basically any claim/belief, all-the-same. Why not just apply this methodology to every claim?

You doubt faith. A wavering faith. You shall not expect anything from God.

"5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
7 For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.
8 A double minded man is unstable in all his ways." (James 1)

POI
Prodigy

Post #59

Post by POI »

Shem Yoshi wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:31 pm

"5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
As I already stated, for which you ignored, the same exact accusation can be placed towards a child who no longer believes in Santa Claus.

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #60

Post by Shem Yoshi »

POI wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:41 pm
Shem Yoshi wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:31 pm

As I already stated, for which you ignored, the same exact accusation can be placed towards a child who no longer believes in Santa Claus.
That is foolish... God calls for faith, and nothing else does...

You shall expect nothing from God. Not even wisdom.