Did Christianity lose its way?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

oldbadger
Guru

Did Christianity lose its way?

Post #1

Post by oldbadger »

The Abrahamic God explained how success could be won by keeping exactly to his laws, his way.
But as the Israelites fell away from these so the prophets came to restore order.
In Isaiah's time the land was corrupted and lawless and he called a restoration of law and order.
When the Baptist came his appearance was answering Isaiah's call.
When Jesus appeared he called for a return of the law but without the need for all those priesthood backhanders within the system of sacrifices.

So where did Christianity get all it's amazing ideas from......... ?

Here are just a small selection of verses from the bible to show a continuous message......... the laws............which Christianity then mangled, in my opinion.

GENESIS {18:19} For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.

EXODUS{18:19} Hearken now unto my voice, I will give thee counsel, and God shall be with thee: Be thou for the people to God-ward, that thou mayest bring the causes unto God: {18:20} And thou shalt teach them ordinances and laws, and shalt shew them the way wherein they must walk, and the work that they must do.

LEVITCUS {20:22} Ye shall therefore keep all my statutes, and all my judgments, and do them: that the land, whither I bring you to dwell therein, spue you not out. {20:23} And ye shall not walk in the manners of the nation, which I cast out before you: for they committed all these things, and therefore I abhorred them. {20:24} But I have said unto you, Ye shall inherit their land, and I will give it unto you to possess it, a land that floweth with milk and honey: I [am] the LORD your God, which have separated you from [other] people.

DEUTERONOMY {5:33} Ye shall walk in all the ways which the LORD your God hath commanded you, that ye may live, and [that it may be] well with you, and [that] ye may prolong [your] days in the land which ye shall possess. {6:1} Now these [are] the commandments, the statutes, and the judgments,

SAMUEL {22:22} For I have kept the ways of the LORD, and have not wickedly departed from my God. {22:23} For all his judgments [were] before me: and [as for] his statutes,

PSALMS {18:21} For I have kept the ways of the LORD, and have not wickedly departed from my God. {18:22} For all his judgments [were] before me, and I did not put away his statutes from me.

ISAIAH {40:3} The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God. {40:4} Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low: and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough places plain:

Matthew {3:3} For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

Mark {1:3} The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight. {1:4} John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.

Luke {3:4} As it is written in the book of the words of Esaias the prophet, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

Matthew {11:12} And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force. {11:13} For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John. {11:14} And if ye will receive [it,] this is Elias, which was for to come. {11:15} He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Matthew {5:17} Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. {5:18} For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. {5:19} Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever
shall do and teach [them,] the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew {21:32} For John came unto you in the way of righteousness, and ye believed him not: but the publicans and the harlots believed him: and ye, when ye had seen [it,] repented not afterward, that ye might believe him.

Matthew {7:12} Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

oldbadger
Guru

Re: Did Christianity lose its way?

Post #61

Post by oldbadger »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:15 am
oldbadger wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:01 am Question: If ALL the Mosaic Laws were done away with, how come that Christianity fixates upon ... Leviticus 18:22....? All very strange to me.
You'll have to ask someone that believes Leviticus 18:22 has not been abolished. I am not of that number. I believe all the Mosaic laws have come to an end.
Do you also believe that laws such as Leviticus {15:11} or Deuteronomy 22:4 are abolished? Hundreds of them that Jesus supported, nearly all apart from laws which poured funds in to the Temple and its corrupted priesthood......

Jesus abolished none of those, but Christianity did!

oldbadger wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:01 amQuestion : ... where did Christianity get it laws from?
From Jesus.

[/quote]

No...........
Question....... if all the Mosaic laws have been dumped by Christianity, is Leviticus 18:23 no longer in force? I don't think that a Christian can lay with a beast...!

oldbadger
Guru

Post #62

Post by oldbadger »

Clownboat wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:52 pm It is a shame that the Bible is not more clear on not just this issue, but many.
I would think that a God inspiring a message for all of humanity would do a better job. The Bible is far too human as you demonstrate above IMO.
The Bible is totally human....... it was written by humans, and an amazing legislation it was.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #63

Post by oldbadger »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:46 pm
oldbadger wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:38 pm
Paul was never with Jesus, never heard him say a word, nor did he write a word about anything that Jesus said or did apart from that last meal and last hours.
So? The scriptures address the question : does THE BIBLE say the law was abolished. If there are parts of the bible canon certain people cherrypick out, that does not mean those that wish to know what Christian scripture has to say on a matter are obliged to do the same.

JW
The Christian letters to churches are not supported by anything that Jesus said or did. It seems that some Christians are in fact 'Paulists' or whatever.
Jesus supported the return of the ignored old laws, like the several poor laws. His very actions showed what he thought of sacrificial and Temple laws and the dreadful images on the Temple coin.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #64

Post by oldbadger »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:58 am
oldbadger wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:09 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:19 am
oldbadger wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:03 am
Are you saying that Jesus ended the Mosiac laws?
Yes? No?
No.

JW
I agree.....
Good to hear it. The the ENTIRE LAW has been abolished but as we agree, Jesus didn't do that (he had no right to ) ... YHWH Amighty God Jehovah did.

JW
No. If you think that your God abolished laws such as Deuteronomy 25:13-14 then .......... wrong!
Only folks like Paul decided what Christianity would follow.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #65

Post by oldbadger »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:11 pm
Miles wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:18 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:04 am DOES THE BIBLE SAY THE LAW HAS BEEN ABOLISHED?

ROMANS 10:4
For Christ is the end of the Law - NWT

EPHESIANS 2:15
By means of his flesh he abolished the emnity, the law of commandements consisting in decrees - NWT

"He did this by ending the system of law with its commandments and regulations." - NLT

ROMANS 7:6
But now we have been released from the Law [...]

COLOSSIANS 3:13,14
God ... erased the handwritten document that consisted of decrees and was in opposition to us. He has taken it out of the way by nailing it to the torture stake.

ACTS 15:21
For the holy spirit and we ourselves have favored adding no further burden to you [gentile Chtistians] except these necessary things: to keep abstaining from things sacrificed to idols, from blood, from what is strangled, and from sexual immorality.

GALATIANS 5:18
But when you are directed by the Spirit, you are not under obligation to the law of Moses. - NLT

It does not. ..
But it demonstratively does, the scripures are right there (listed above )

JW
Written by Paul?......... Do you think that Paul had the status to act or redact laws?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #66

Post by JehovahsWitness »

oldbadger wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:09 am
The Christian letters to churches are not supported by anything that Jesus said or did.
On the contray, there is nothing in the "Christian letters to churches" that is not supported by something that Jesus said or did.

RELATED POSTS

For further details please go to other posts related to ...

THE APOSTLE PETER , PAUL and ...THE WRITING OF THE APOSTLE PAUL
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

oldbadger
Guru

Post #67

Post by oldbadger »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:07 am
oldbadger wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:09 am
The Christian letters to churches are not supported by anything that Jesus said or did.
On the contray, there is nothing in the "Christian letters to churches" that is not supported by something that Jesus said or did.
I have already mentioned that Paul wrote about the last meal and hours, but would you show me where Paul has mentioned something that Jesus said or did please?
I don't think that there is a sentence of Paul's that fulfills my request.