Questions about Jesus and JW’s

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

MissKate13
Sage

Questions about Jesus and JW’s

Post #1

Post by MissKate13 »

1. Jehovah’s Witnesses say Jesus was “a god.” This is how the NWT reads (John 1:1).

Do JW’s believe Jesus was a true or false god?

2. JW’s say Jesus is a created being.

When was Jesus (capital or lower case g) created?

I look forward to your responses to one or both questions.

MissKate13
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Questions about Jesus and JW’s

Post #581

Post by JehovahsWitness »

JumpingJackFlash wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:38 pm

In the beginning was the Word(Jesus, the name of the Word), and the Word(Jesus, the name of the Word) was with God, and the Word(Jesus, the name of the Word) was God

True or false?
True.

RELATED POSTS
Is Jesus equal to ALMIGHTY God?
viewtopic.php?p=1133942#p1133942

How should John 1:1 properly be translated? [...and the word was God]
viewtopic.php?p=1111348#p1111348
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JumpingJackFlash
Banned
Banned

Post #582

Post by JumpingJackFlash »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:00 pm
JumpingJackFlash wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:38 pm

In the beginning was the Word(Jesus, the name of the Word), and the Word(Jesus, the name of the Word) was with God, and the Word(Jesus, the name of the Word) was God

True or false?
True.

RELATED POSTS
Is Jesus equal to ALMIGHTY God?
viewtopic.php?p=1133942#p1133942

Is the Word who's name is Jesus, your God?

The only people who give a lie any creditability are liars.

otseng
Savant

Post #583

Post by otseng »

onewithhim wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:53 pm
LittleNipper wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:13 pm Please regard the following instead of the JWs dogma: https://dailyverse.knowing-jesus.com/philippians-2-6
Instead of denigrating JWs, why don't you comment on the reasoning that JehovahsWitness provided in the last post? If all you can do is put down JWs, then you must not have anything substantial to say. You must not understand what you are trying to talk about, or you wouldn't just refer us to a link and slamming JWs' beliefs.
Moderator Intervention

LittleNipper, please debate by presenting your arguments rather than just providing a link for people to read.

onewithhim, please debate without making personal comments.

Moderator interventions do not count as a strike against any posters. They are given at the discretion of a moderator when he or she feels that some sort of intervention is required.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #584

Post by onewithhim »

LittleNipper wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:46 am
onewithhim wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:30 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:13 pm
LittleNipper wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:01 pm
John 1
New International Version
The Word Became Flesh
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Please note the following when comparing the NEW WORLDTRANSLATION of the Bible to any other translation: The NEW WORLD TRANSLATION committee of translation, had no known translators with recognized degrees in Greek or Hebrew exegesis or translation... None of the men involved had any university education except Fredrick W. Franz, who left school after two years, never completing even an undergraduate degree.
Regardless of who translated the text , The New World Translation 's rendition of John 1:1 is grammatically sound.

Feel free to attempt to prove otherwise.

JW

RELATED POST

And also, we can prove our point in other Bibles beside the NWT. It does no good for anyone to denigrate that version because it's lauded by Bible scholars who have no ax to grind, and its not the only version we refer to. We have proven that Jesus is not God from the King James Version, and we used it for 100 years before the NWT was available.
If you believe so. And since there is only one GOD, and JESUS is a GOD. Then JESUS CHRIST must be IT!
There is only one TRUE God, the God Almighty, YHWH, who is different from His Son (who has a different name). There are many "gods" that men worship---even Satan is a god. (2Corinthians 4:4). Judges (John 10:34-36), governors, kings are all called "gods" in the world then and even today. For example, fans of Eric Clapton say that he is a "god" because he can play the guitar so well. Paul said that people honored the "god" of their stomachs! (Philippians 3:19) So anything can be a "god." It is anything that a person puts before the true God. It also can refer to anyone who holds a high position and is mighty and revered, as Jesus Christ was in his day, by righteously inclined people.

I Corinthians 8: (4b)---"...there is no God but one. (5) For even though there are those who are called "gods," whether in heaven or on earth, just as there are MANY "gods" and many lords, (6) there is actually to US one God, the Father..."

So Jesus isn't it.

So even though there are many so-called "gods," there is only one TRUE God, the Father, according to the Scriptures.

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #585

Post by LittleNipper »

onewithhim wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:54 pm
John 1
The Word Became Flesh
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Please note the following when comparing the NEW WORLDTRANSLATION of the Bible to any other translation: The NEW WORLD TRANSLATION committee of translation, had no known translators with recognized degrees in Greek or Hebrew exegesis or translation... None of the men involved had any university education except Fredrick W. Franz, who left school after two years, never completing even an undergraduate degree.
Regardless of who translated the text , The New World Translation 's rendition of John 1:1 is grammatically sound.

JW

RELATED POST

And also, we can prove our point in other Bibles beside the NWT. It does no good for anyone to denigrate that version because it's lauded by Bible scholars who have no ax to grind, and its not the only version we refer to. We have proven that Jesus is not God from the King James Version, and we used it for 100 years before the NWT was available.
If you believe so. And since there is only one GOD, and JESUS is a GOD. Then JESUS CHRIST must be IT!
There is only one TRUE God, the God Almighty, YHWH, who is different from His Son (who has a different name). There are many "gods" that men worship---even Satan is a god. (2Corinthians 4:4). Judges (John 10:34-36), governors, kings are all called "gods" in the world then and even today. For example, fans of Eric Clapton say that he is a "god" because he can play the guitar so well. Paul said that people honored the "god" of their stomachs! (Philippians 3:19) So anything can be a "god." It is anything that a person puts before the true God. It also can refer to anyone who holds a high position and is mighty and revered, as Jesus Christ was in his day, by righteously inclined people.

I Corinthians 8: (4b)---"...there is no God but one. (5) For even though there are those who are called "gods," whether in heaven or on earth, just as there are MANY "gods" and many lords, (6) there is actually to US one God, the Father..."

So Jesus isn't it.

So even though there are many so-called "gods," there is only one TRUE God, the Father, according to the Scriptures.
What you fail to explain with regard to II Corinthians 4:4 is the portion that describes CHRIST. Let's visit this verse once again:
4 Satan, who is the god of this world, has blinded the minds of those who don’t believe. They are unable to see the glorious light of the Good News. They don’t understand this message about the glory of Christ, who is the exact likeness of God.

HOW can CHRIST be in the EXACT likeness of GOD and not be GOD? Note: Satan is described as the god of THIS WORLD, but is not portrayed as being in the exact likeness of GOD. I honestly don't understand what JW's have against CHRIST as they seem to hate anything that focuses on HIM, whether it is hymns, special holidays, or worship. CHRIST died for our sins. We owe CHRIST everything! Without CHRIST no one could be saved! And CHRIST is the KINGDOM! Where the king is, there is the kingdom. This is precisely why Jesus says to the Pharisees, “The kingdom of God is in the midst of you” (Luke 17:21). Jesus embodies the kingdom of God... Jesus is both the faithful ruler and the righteous citizen of the kingdom.

tam
Savant

Post #586

Post by tam »

Peace to you,

[Replying to LittleNipper in post #585]

(I am not a jw)
HOW can CHRIST be in the EXACT likeness of GOD and not be GOD?

By being exactly like His Father. "Exact likeness."

If Christ WERE God, then there would be no reason to say that He was in the 'likeness' of God.

I am not in the exact likeness of myself. I am simply myself.

Are you in the exact likeness of yourself?

That question doesn't make sense, right? Because you simply ARE yourself. You are not "in the exact likeness" of yourself.
Note: Satan is described as the god of THIS WORLD, but is not portrayed as being in the exact likeness of GOD.
Satan is not portrayed as being in the exact likeness of God because Satan is not like God. Satan hates us and wants us to fail; he is a liar and a murderer.

God - the God and Father of Christ - wants us to LIVE; He tells us the truth and sent His Son to teach and lead us into all truth. (There is much more that could be said here, but I hope you get the point.)

Christ is not Michael the arkangel, either, despite what some men claim.

Christ Jaheshua is Himself. He is who He (and His Father) said. The Messiah/Chosen One of JAH, the Son of God, the Truth, the Life, the Way, the Lamb of God, the Word of God, the Holy One of God, and my Lord and Master.

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #587

LittleNipper wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:59 am

The same way your image is the exact likeness of your face... but it's not your face ; it's a reflection of your face. If something is LIKE you, even if they are exactly like you, its still is not YOU. I'm not "like" me, I am me. By saying Jesus is exactly like God, it means he is not [Almighty] GOD himself....but he resembles that one.

Logic,

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #588

LittleNipper wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:59 am I honestly don't understand what JW's have against CHRIST as they seem to hate anything that focuses on HIM, whether it is hymns, special holidays, or worship. ...
I don't know how you got that impression but I can assure you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses I certainly do not "hate anything that focuses on [Jesus]". We have many hymnes that we sing during worship that focus on Jesus and his role in our salvation. Indeed our only holy day is a commemoration of what he (Jesus) has done for us. JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES recognise Christ as our saviour, and King and absolutely know that God sent him to save mankind. If you would like to verify on our official website you will find hundreds of pages dedicated to Jesus and his place in worship. That said, part of honouring Jesus is to respect what he said and follow his example.

Jesus ALWAYS gave due honour to the Father and scripture is clear even after his return to heaven , the risen Christ was happy to submit himself to his God and Father. Thus, JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES show a proper balance in our worship, recognising that nothing (including anything Christ achieved) would have been possible without Jehovah, the Father (see John 8:28)

JW

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

JESUS CHRIST, SALVATION and ...JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #589

Post by LittleNipper »

tam wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:48 pm Peace to you,

[Replying to LittleNipper in post #585]

(I am not a jw)

By being exactly like His Father. "Exact likeness."

If Christ WERE God, then there would be no reason to say that He was in the 'likeness' of God.

I am not in the exact likeness of myself. I am simply myself.

Are you in the exact likeness of yourself?

That question doesn't make sense, right? Because you simply ARE yourself. You are not "in the exact likeness" of yourself.
Note: Satan is described as the god of THIS WORLD, but is not portrayed as being in the exact likeness of GOD.
Satan is not portrayed as being in the exact likeness of God because Satan is not like God. Satan hates us and wants us to fail; he is a liar and a murderer.

God - the God and Father of Christ - wants us to LIVE; He tells us the truth and sent His Son to teach and lead us into all truth. (There is much more that could be said here, but I hope you get the point.)

Christ is not Michael the arkangel, either, despite what some men claim.

Christ Jaheshua is Himself. He is who He (and His Father) said. The Messiah/Chosen One of JAH, the Son of God, the Truth, the Life, the Way, the Lamb of God, the Word of God, the Holy One of God, and my Lord and Master.

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy
Since the FATHER GOD is invisible, how can CHRIST look like HIM? I know that my REDEEMER liveth. And that HE is ONE with the FATHER and the HOLY SPIRIT and shares ALL their attributes.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #590

Post by onewithhim »

LittleNipper wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:59 am
onewithhim wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:54 pm
John 1
The Word Became Flesh

JW

RELATED POST

So Jesus isn't it.

What you fail to explain with regard to II Corinthians 4:4 is the portion that describes CHRIST. Let's visit this verse once again:
4 Satan, who is the god of this world, has blinded the minds of those who don’t believe. They are unable to see the glorious light of the Good News. They don’t understand this message about the glory of Christ, who is the exact likeness of God.

HOW can CHRIST be in the EXACT likeness of GOD and not be GOD? Note: Satan is described as the god of THIS WORLD, but is not portrayed as being in the exact likeness of GOD. I honestly don't understand what JW's have against CHRIST as they seem to hate anything that focuses on HIM, whether it is hymns, special holidays, or worship. CHRIST died for our sins. We owe CHRIST everything! Without CHRIST no one could be saved! And CHRIST is the KINGDOM! Where the king is, there is the kingdom. This is precisely why Jesus says to the Pharisees, “The kingdom of God is in the midst of you” (Luke 17:21). Jesus embodies the kingdom of God... Jesus is both the faithful ruler and the righteous citizen of the kingdom.
You have yourself shown that there are "gods" that are not the true God, Jehovah. You agree that Satan is a god. Further, an exact likeness does not mean that person is the person whom he resembles. Jesus reflected his Father, just like you might say of a twin---he is the exact likeness of his twin! That doesn't mean they are the same person, does it? A man might have a son that looks just like him. Is the son actually the father?

We certainly do not have anything against Christ. We believe that he is the Son of the Most High, Jehovah, and he will soon rid the earth of all evil and rule over the earth for 1,000 years. He is actually the head of our world-wide 'church.' He guides us in everything we do for the Kingdom. How is that being against him?