Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

2023 : Basis for morality thread

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

viewtopic.php?p=1110735#p1110735
benchwarmer wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:41 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:14 pm As was said earlier and before now "I really hope you stay a Christian..." where a poster or debator has sworn that without Jesus in their life they would run amok on an orgy of rapine and plunder.
Yes, I've used that one myself in the past when a theist implies that atheists have no morals or reasons to 'behave'. People who need a god to act morally should definitely remain theists. I have no desire to deconvert anyone. Deconversion should be something that is arrived at naturally. Like when you discover "Santa's" gifts under your parent's bed before Christmas.
Welcome to a new year of debating. What is the basis for morality?

Options raised in this thread:

1) opinion - fails on people having different opinions

2) genes - fails - If an insect gets taken over by a parasite and then that insect is more helpful we would not say it was being more moral. If a gene is making someone good we would not say they are moral. If a robot could be programmed to be good it would not be making choices and not be moral.

3) cooperation - fails on the logic of a group not being right just because there are more of them.

4) God - So, for me, if morality exists it has to have an objective basis. If it is objective and because it applies to only free-willed creatures then it has to be an opinion of a free-will creature who can impose their will objectively such that we can know their opinion on what is moral. That's where I am heading with morality coming from God.
Last edited by Wootah on Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:04 am, edited 5 times in total.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

oldbadger
Guru

Re: 2023 : Basis for morality thread

Post #331

Post by oldbadger »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:03 pm Yes,this is the problem with morality and ethics.Yet there is a basic idea of what morality and ethics is, and it's undeniable that some will think their deeds, evil by consensus are good in their view. The problems are undeniable. But I just don;y buy that opting for a religion is the answer to it, not when so many have fitted religion into their evil deeds if not making it the basis.

I think it better to scrap religion as a guide and try to deal with the problems that we have with or without religion - but with debate open about ethics, not closed by Faith.
Remove religion entirely and any people who still bang on about morals are just as dodgy, imo.

In the UK an MP recently hired a journalist to write his memoirs and in order to do this he trusted her with his closest secrets, which she promised and contracted to keep safe. The book that she wrote described him as a thinking, caring minister, juggling with the whole range of problems that faced him. After he left serious politics she decided that she could make more out of the whole 'thing' and so broke her word, her hand and her contract in order to proceed upon a very moral crusade....... with lots more attention and cash.

Religion is not required for the provision of imposts.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #332

Post by boatsnguitars »

oldbadger wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:25 am
boatsnguitars wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:48 am I don't disagree about it being an impost.

Yes, my point is there is a Reason for not 'committing' gluttony. It's an example of religion adopting good ideas to bolster its legitimacy, then, religion shoehorns in ideas that have no reasoning (like rules on head coverings, or mixed fabric, or shellfish, gay sex, witchcraft, atheism, etc.).
Not so! The Laws of Moses were brilliantly reasonable back then.
Head coverings.......... we have some very strict rules about head coverings to this day. Our military sectors are a typical example.
Mixed fabric....... Higher classes wore linen (from flax), lower folks wore wool...... even our TV presenters have strict dress codes, etc etc
Gay sex....... for strength and security men married women for children, they even got a whole year off any duties in order to enjoy each other. Lots of children needed, so gay sex was not useful and since the law was 'closed couples' to protect from sickness (and weakness) there was no provision for gay sex back then. Today everything is different, we don't need more children and our health sciences are better.
Wiitchcraft......... How many of our countries' leaders are open warlocks or witches? We still don't trust in this because these folks are loose cannon within communities.
Atheism........ Any religion wanting to expand itself is hardly likely to support other religions or no religions at all.

None of these examples have (or had) anything to do with morals.
As for breast covering. Some countries I've lived in do, some don't. The reason for it varies, but the general reason is that it gets men horny, and horny men often turn into criminals. It has nothing to do with whether God is pleased or not.
Beautiful faces with gorgeous flowing locks..... can get males horny. Closed couples was the rule for lots of children (future strength) and protection from sickness.
My point is that when we attribute moral values to God, the only reason seems to be "God wants it that way", because if there was a good reason for the moral value (objectively) then we wouldn't need God in the first place.
The old laws and ways had nothing to do with 'moral values'..... they were about strength, health, security and success. Example: Young virgins captured during battle could be taken in as partner-slaves........ other young women had to be killed. Steel hard rules for success, health, etc
I get what you're saying, and we might be talking past each other?

I do agree that all those rules were an attempt to fix some societal ill. Like the moratorium on shellfish: Shellfish was known to kill people either through allergy or going bad. Banning it was their best solution. Especially if they were eating it further inland where it would have taken days to get to them.

We didn't need a God to tell us this.

My point is that many of the moral laws in the OT and NT are related to God's vanity and have no bearing on the health of a society. I suspect we differ on head coverings, as you seem to suggest that head coverings in the military are a way of keeping order(?). I think that's a stretch because the military doesn't command that one keep their head covered at all times.

I don't believe in God, so I think all moral values are developed by humans either through evolution or social pressures. So, when a Theist claims that God has commanded something like "No Gods before me", I hear it as either a really petty God, or, most likely, Men trying to force their religion on others. This may be for authoritarian reasons, or it might be for social cohesion.

The point is, there are either reasons for a moral value and no God is needed.
Or, If there is a God than many of these moral values are absurd because the secular reason for the moral law is not the primary reason. (And, we still can't know if the moral laws in the Bible are reflective of what the actual, alleged God might want).
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #333

Post by Purple Knight »

Mithrae wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:46 amHow would you stop people from gaining the benefits of food and drug regulations, building codes, protection from foreign invasion, natural disaster prevention and response, global trade deals, a strong currency, a relatively stable economy and so on?
I think you could. They can't sue if their house falls down or they eat poisoned food, and they can't even call the police if someone else occupies their house.
Mithrae wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:46 am
Purple Knight wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:34 pm He's right though: All morality is essentially bullying.

Some guy in the past owns a slave. He thinks it's right and proper. And what am I doing if I yell at him and tell him it's not? Bullying. It's bullying most people will agree with but that doesn't change what it is.

Whether anything and everything I might do to him, to get him to stop, is justified... well, it depends entirely on your opinion of whether or not slavery is immoral.
An argument which claims that stopping a bully is always a form of bullying is pretty much dead on arrival. The question is if and when is it okay to do things to others which they don't agree to, when is it okay to harm others? The answer "To stop them from harming others" is not in any way equivalent to the answers "To make money" or "When you assert that they're an inferior 'race'" or (as is often the case for actual bullying) "To feel better about yourself." Moralism can be used as a sort of bullying in that latter sense, but pretending that's always the case even in extreme examples such as opposition to slavery is wildly inaccurate, to say the least.
The definition of bully (verb) is "to seek to harm, intimidate, or coerce" and pressuring someone into changing their behaviour fits that bill, because it's coercion. You can say it's morally right to bully someone out of enslaving others because they are hurting those they enslave but it's still bullying. I'm trying to get you to see that you don't believe that hurting someone is universally wrong. No one does. Everyone believes that hurting others is wrong unless they're doing something immoral. And people disagree about what's immoral.

For example, certainly the Walmart toilers breaking their backs and ending their lives with their bodies in shambles are harmed. But we say this is permissible harm because those toilers are technically free to leave. Some of them may not be able to find better jobs but our society doesn't care. We also say that doxxing people, making people lose their jobs because we don't like something they said, is permissible harm. Nobody believes that all harm is impermissible.

And this is where we get disagreements about morality. Even within your definition that when it is permissible to hurt others is when they are hurting others, or to stop them from doing so. One person may believe punching a Nazi is righteous because the Nazi's beliefs equal harm to those he believes ill of. And it comes down to permissible harm which is absolutely arbitrary yet everyone believes in it. When a Nazi believes that Black people are inferior, he is engaging in impermissible harm. But when Chandra believes that Sarah is a worthless sack of barf, nobody is allowed to punch Chandra because her beliefs, and not the Nazi's, are permissible harm.

I have the only solution that accounts for these differences and that's that morality is by agreement full stop.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #334

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Purple Knight wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:30 pm ... Snip agreements...
I have the only solution that accounts for these differences and that's that morality is by agreement full stop.
Your post gets to how we need to really think about our laws and such. If we realize we're being coercive, we have a responsibility to minimize our own "bullying".

Morality by agreement. Well said.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #335

Post by Purple Knight »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:42 pm
Your post gets to how we need to really think about our laws and such. If we realize we're being coercive, we have a responsibility to minimize our own "bullying".

If Mithrae really believes that there is no permissible harm then that is as solid a basis for morality as mine.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #336

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Purple Knight wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:54 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:42 pm

If Mithrae really believes that there is no permissible harm then that is as solid a basis for morality as mine.
I agree there can - and should be - permissible harms, but harms they are, if only philosophically.

Understanding that should cause us to pause before invoking those 'righteous' harms. Which I think most folks try to do. (Don't ask for math I ain't got :wave: )
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Wootah
Savant

Post #337

Post by Wootah »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:43 am
Wootah wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:32 pm
Bubuche87 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:01 am [Replying to Wootah in post #310]

I already answered, but you seem oblivious of my answer: all of them.

Take any: it's arbitrary.
God could have taken anything else and, according to you, it would still have been equally moral/correct/just.
OK, what is arbitrary about thou shalt not commit murder?
This relies on the definition of murder, which is, in effect, an arbitrary term related to homicide.
Arbitrary seems to me like it would be: thou shalt not jump 10 times on the full moon of each month.
Hypotheticals can be problematic, as they're typically presented in support of a given position.

What's arbitrary, and hypocritical to me is banning books because of their sexual content while promoting the bible for it's lessons regarding sexual conduct.
I don't think there is anything arbitrary about murder: thinking about wanting to kill someone, planning to do it and going to do it.

The deep illogical irrational, anti-rational of seeing that as arbitrary is beyond my capacity to debate. So that is one of God's laws that is not arbitrary.

No one is against book banning, except for the publishers of Roald Dahl and the 'left'. Heaven forbid anyone reads the Bible at school.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #338

Post by Purple Knight »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:05 pm I agree there can - and should be - permissible harms, but harms they are, if only philosophically.

Understanding that should cause us to pause before invoking those 'righteous' harms. Which I think most folks try to do. (Don't ask for math I ain't got :wave: )
I don't believe in some sort of perfect knife, the composition and structure of which is just so, so that when murder is committed with this knife, it's morally permissible.

That's why I must add the potentially case destroying caveat to my theory of agreement that it must be a fair agreement, and not benefit one party at the expense of the other, or even benefit the other party so vastly much less that it ends up being a handicap.

If you and I agree that we each may not kill the other except with a kris knife forged by a Japanese swordsmith, and I have one and you don't, that's a foul. In practice I've either deceived you or twisted your arm, and that's not a real agreement. And in the edge case that you've really just gone insane, and truly believe that this is moral and perfect knives do exist, I'm still calling it a foul because I have to for the theory to work.

So here's how righteous harms exist in my theory.

If I want a goat and you want a dog, and we both agreed no goats but yes dogs, that's unfair to me and thus that agreement fails the test. If I've been a fool and made a bad agreement, that doesn't entitle people to trample me. You can have snakeworld, where deception is king, but it has to benefit everyone. Frankly I don't see that happening but that doesn't mean it can't.

If we both agreed no pets that bother the other, well, that's a different story. We're both going to be miserable living in that jail which we made for ourselves. But good news: Since all it is, is a mutual agreement, we can also agree to nullify it. But this can't be one-sided either, so yes, you could have people trapped in misery, but this misery again must be mutual. If one person is living it up and one is miserable then it was not a fair agreement in the first place, and it fails.

Full power to buyer's remorse, at least in the fact that selling a sugar addict a doughnut for $10,000 and then saying too bad no backsies is not something you may do in a state of nature. In a state of nature if he finds you've ruined him he may hit you until you return his fortune, and if you make your way ruining people this is likely to happen. If you want your morality to override that state of nature, he must not only agree, but actually benefit too. Arguably with property and commerce rights that is the case, but that's why a fair agreement to property rights does not include addictive substances that wreck judgment, nor anything else where the law protects one person as he ruins another, simply because his knife is shaped differently. In nature the answer to a scam is a fist, so a fair society must punish scams if it punishes fists. Protecting one and punishing the other isn't more civilised; it's just a form of survival-strategy-based classism and slavery. We would see this more easily if society favoured the brute, saying yes to fists but punishing the clever for fighting back with deception.

Thus a a righteous harm must be something the harmed party actually benefits from and agreed to: He must benefit enough from the system that permits the harm that it offsets the harm, and even if we think he does, that doesn't mean he has to agree. If he's just being obstinate and we can show how he benefits more, even then he's only on the hook if he genuinely agreed to it. (I do argue that every time a Libertarian has called the police or taken welfare or unemployment or a bailout and willingly petitioned for the benefits of society, that constitutes agreement, or at least, it should, because if the government isn't requiring that then it's not fair to the rest of us.)

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #339

Post by Purple Knight »

Wootah wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:47 pmI don't think there is anything arbitrary about murder: thinking about wanting to kill someone, planning to do it and going to do it.

The deep illogical irrational, anti-rational of seeing that as arbitrary is beyond my capacity to debate. So that is one of God's laws that is not arbitrary.
All the people who fantasise about righteously killing Hitler would like to have a word with you.

Well, actually they wouldn't, because they're not going to argue that murder is arbitrary either, but you know what I mean.

Wootah
Savant

Post #340

Post by Wootah »

Purple Knight wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:25 pm
Wootah wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:47 pmI don't think there is anything arbitrary about murder: thinking about wanting to kill someone, planning to do it and going to do it.

All the people who fantasise about righteously killing Hitler would like to have a word with you.

Well, actually they wouldn't, because they're not going to argue that murder is arbitrary either, but you know what I mean.
I saw the best reply to this on twitter. Why does no one fantasise about going back in time and raising Hitler to be a good person?