Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

2023 : Basis for morality thread

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

viewtopic.php?p=1110735#p1110735
benchwarmer wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:41 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:14 pm As was said earlier and before now "I really hope you stay a Christian..." where a poster or debator has sworn that without Jesus in their life they would run amok on an orgy of rapine and plunder.
Yes, I've used that one myself in the past when a theist implies that atheists have no morals or reasons to 'behave'. People who need a god to act morally should definitely remain theists. I have no desire to deconvert anyone. Deconversion should be something that is arrived at naturally. Like when you discover "Santa's" gifts under your parent's bed before Christmas.
Welcome to a new year of debating. What is the basis for morality?

Options raised in this thread:

1) opinion - fails on people having different opinions

2) genes - fails - If an insect gets taken over by a parasite and then that insect is more helpful we would not say it was being more moral. If a gene is making someone good we would not say they are moral. If a robot could be programmed to be good it would not be making choices and not be moral.

3) cooperation - fails on the logic of a group not being right just because there are more of them.

4) God - So, for me, if morality exists it has to have an objective basis. If it is objective and because it applies to only free-willed creatures then it has to be an opinion of a free-will creature who can impose their will objectively such that we can know their opinion on what is moral. That's where I am heading with morality coming from God.
Last edited by Wootah on Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:04 am, edited 5 times in total.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

theophile
Guru

Re: 2023 : Basis for morality thread

Post #311

Post by theophile »

Mithrae wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:14 pm The nature and extent of biblical God's power is presented much more consistently and matter-of-factly than his morality; he is God Almighty, he created the heavens and the earth, he created the sun and stars, he flooded the whole planet, he turned the waters to blood and parted the Red Sea, he made the very sun stand still, he raised the dead and sent fire from heaven, he darkened the sun and sent earthquakes and mass resurrections... Whether or not he's "omnipotent" is not clear and pretty much irrelevant - he's obviously, consistently and unequivocally portrayed as cosmically powerful. By contrast in terms of morality, he is portrayed as fearing humans' knowledge of good and evil, he at times he repents of his own actions or is persuaded to change his mind, he hardens humans' hearts and actively causes their evil behaviour, he changes his mind on the 'eternal ordinances' and moral laws he gives his people, his supposed greatest act of 'love' is requiring the brutal human sacrifice of his own innocent son... and on and on it goes.
We may have to agree to disagree on this, or go to the next level of what God is, and what it means to be spirit. i.e., I think the bible shows a God whose power changes across the narrative. God goes from powerless spirit in Genesis 1 to all-in-all and all-powerful at the end, when death itself is conquered (as Paul says somewhere). This means that at any point between God is somewhere on that trajectory, and may still be at the beginning for all we know, with no power committed to God's cause.

So I do think it's a more subtle situation than you suggest...

(To bring it back to the question of an objective morality and achieving it, I would say that God as spirit is the figurehead and word of a certain unifying principle and end. As such God's power is a function of others serving that same principle and end, or sharing God's subjective morality. What I said earlier is life and the furtherance of life of every kind.)
Mithrae wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:14 pm If one chooses to creatively look for actual theological 'truth' in the stories, then (in addition to already making sense in an abstract philosophical sense) a God who is fumbling around trying to learn how to be good actually makes a lot more sense of both God's incarnations into human form, and the significant shift in moral focus between the Tanakh and NT. Seems to me that sidelining the bible's portrayal of God's power requires reinterpreting many more 'factual' passages (in the sense of "God did such-and-such," rather than a descriptive "God is good") while addressing far fewer/smaller problems. Even an impotent deity could surely have told Samuel "Hey, you know, maybe slaughtering all the Amalekite men and women, animals and children for something that their great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandparents* supposedly did isn't completely necessary as the ultimate test for what makes a good king."
I don't disagree with any of this. My point is not to deny God is capable of great acts of power - God is. But only that God isn't necessarily so. It takes one with the power needed and who shares God's principle and end to make it a reality. It's the combination that is needed. Spirit and flesh. One like Christ or Yahweh, who I would say also fits that bill.

As to your point that even an impotent God could have told Samuel not to kill the Amalekite's, sure, but I think we have to recognize that God isn't the only spirit out there. It's a bit cliche but God's words don't always find receptive ground, and we're often caught up in less life-affirming ends.
Mithrae wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:14 pm
theophile wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:47 pm Additional note / edit: To be clear, I don't think God as such is a necessary concept to get to an objective morality or answer the OP. We could accomplish the same result, methinks, using secular terms only, and I'm happy to leave God out of it completely. That said, I do think they converge, and my great hope in life is to one day show just how acceptable the bible is from a more secular perspective. Once we wrap our heads around what is really going on there.
After the last seven years of politics I'm certainly not going to underestimate folks' ability to entrench themselves within and convince themselves of their ideological commitments. But if we're going to be telling ourselves that not only genocide, but capricious genocide in supposed vengeance against some ancient historical wrongdoing, is supposed to be morally praiseworthy then the notion of objective morality has obviously gone right out the window.
Everything has a time and place, even something like genocide. The removal of oppressive orders that would suppress life's various kinds is consistent with the affirmation of life, I think, and something I have no problem seeing the morality of, assuming the extremity of the conditions warrant it.

As for the capricious genocides that follow, I would tend to agree. The problem here (among many perhaps) is that these are the words and actions of men. Some in the bible like Joshua are taken for heroes but they're not, and we should recognize they're not, even if they're doing what they say God says.

Mithrae
Prodigy

Post #312

Post by Mithrae »

theophile wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:24 pm We may have to agree to disagree on this, or go to the next level of what God is, and what it means to be spirit. i.e., I think the bible shows a God whose power changes across the narrative. God goes from powerless spirit in Genesis 1 to all-in-all and all-powerful at the end, when death itself is conquered (as Paul says somewhere). This means that at any point between God is somewhere on that trajectory, and may still be at the beginning for all we know, with no power committed to God's cause.
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth, the day and night, the sun and stars. It doesn't get much more powerful than that. Fixating on a dubious understanding of a single word in that story to come up with completely the opposite interpretation seems, shall we say, questionable at the best. One could surely say that the authors were simply hyperbolizing in their veneration of the seven-day week or were simply wrong in their traditions about how their world came to be, but pretending to glean from Genesis 1 the revelation that God was a "powerless spirit" seems little short of dishonest.
theophile wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:24 pm Everything has a time and place, even something like genocide. The removal of oppressive orders that would suppress life's various kinds is consistent with the affirmation of life, I think, and something I have no problem seeing the morality of, assuming the extremity of the conditions warrant it.

As for the capricious genocides that follow, I would tend to agree. The problem here (among many perhaps) is that these are the words and actions of men. Some in the bible like Joshua are taken for heroes but they're not, and we should recognize they're not, even if they're doing what they say God says.
It seems like you're dipping your toes into three of the four most common/obvious responses to the bible's divine immorality while studiously avoiding the fourth:
- They're not really divine
- They're not really immoral
- They're not really choices, God was limited by X (ie, kind of divine and kind of immoral, but passing the buck on responsibility)
- God was indeed immoral, or at least scarcely any better than the bronze-age communities he was learning from

The first and most obvious I'd certainly agree with you on; it's likely that little or nothing from the bible was directly commanded or inspired by any kind of real deity! The third (while pretty common when apologists talk about the inevitability of an inherited sin nature or the like) is particularly... ah... creative in your approach, essentially outright denying the most obvious and prominent aspects of the bible's portrayal of God from Genesis 1 onwards, yet still pretending that you're talking about the biblical God :? But then you go even further into the absurd, like other apologists bending over backwards to say that black is white, that the most evil things in human history like genocide or slavery are somehow good at the right times. Why not just deny that those (like the other genocides) were done by God at all? I'm not even sure which genocides you think were "good" - the one which wiped out not only 'evil' humanity but virtually all other life as well?* The one which in which God specifically hardened a guy onto an evil course in order to "show his power" by targeting the innocent children?

Meanwhile the fourth approach is one which seems to have philosophical merit irrespective of any religion - how would any god start out with any understanding of morality as seen by mortal social creatures? - and thus seems the obvious answer if one takes the dubious step of assuming that anything in the bible (let alone its most heinous acts) is associated with a real deity at all. The bible itself pretty heavily suggests various instances of repentence, changing his mind and changing his moral priorities. I guess I'm just having a hard time understanding what kind of priorities or reasoning would lead to this approach; it seems to keep the worst problems of traditional apologetics, trying to defend the indefensible, while losing all of traditionalists' dogmatic confidence/supposed biblical authority, and adding whole new vistas of hermeneutic doublespeak and interpretative gymnastics on top!

* Edit: I'm going to try and steelman this one by suggesting that (since the Flood never actually happened) one could interpret it as an allegory for any kind of natural disaster, and of particular interest those such as the five natural mass extinctions which preceded humanity. By wiping out or severely curtailing the established species dominating various ecological niches, these mass extinctions were often followed by a renewed flourishing of biodiversity. Most famously, if an asteroid hadn't wiped out the dinosaurs 65 million years ago, most mammal species and in particular humanity almost certainly would have never had the opportunity to evolve. Of course that interpretation would run headlong into your prior characterization of God as more or less impotent; mass extinctions and natural disasters can't be viewed as having any positive or negative moral value unless actively caused or allowed. And it's still difficult to see how it could be considered good for any being to actively cause such devastation - even against animals, let alone intelligent people - regardless of what kind of silver linings might be proposed in retrospect.
Last edited by Mithrae on Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #313

Post by oldbadger »

Mithrae wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:28 pm
Thankyou for the thoughtful reply. I'd say it's actually a pretty good comparison:
- Both morals and maths are conceptual systems developed by humanity
- As far as we know neither moral nor mathematical principles actually exist in an ontological sense
- Nevertheless both are abstractions from real-world phenomena, from behavioural and quantitative relationships respectively
- Literally everyone uses morals (principles guiding behaviour) and everyone uses maths (basic comparison/addition etc.)
- People often disagree about morality and often disagree about maths, and in particular the morals and maths of prior millennia are often regarded as very limited or primitive by 21st century standards
- Despite those disagreements - and despite some people being simply inept at moral or mathematical reasoning - there has been a trend towards convergence of opinions, towards less individual/culture-specific perspectives and more objectivity in both fields (albeit far moreso in the case of maths)

That's certainly more than enough of a comparison to point out that disagreements in or people being inept at morality is a very shaky basis on which to attack the whole concept.
No. Take an international criminal like Putin, a maths addition answer is the same on his calculator as on yours.
But he is neither moral nor immoral, he simply orders his troops to invade countries and kill people. He is a criminal.

Maths principles exist........ there is only one answer for a simple addition. There is no connection between the rheterical word 'moral' and the practical word 'maths'.
Nobody uses 'moral's........... 'principles guiding behaviour' can be grasped by following rules, guides, laws, etc........
That people disagree about maths, or colour schemes or yacht designs.......... nothing to do with morals! :D
People disagree about rules, laws, guides, etc........ for instance, no County publishes ByMorals, only ByLaws.

No! ;)
Sometimes the basis for people's morality is arbitrary and/or extremely subjective, for example "I should do whatever the hell I want to get the things and the happiness I desire." That's a form of morality...................................,
No it isn't! That's quite clearly a kind of psychopathy.......... no rules, laws. This person displays anarchy!
- How reasonable are your guiding principles? Have you thought them through carefully, or just "feel" that they'll do?
That's 'reason'
- How objective are your guiding principles? Are they based solely on your own perspective, or something broader?
That's all about Civil and Criminal Law, or rules. Codes of conduct......... ?
- How effective are your guiding principles? Are they likely to improve happiness for you, your loved ones and children?
No. No need for the word 'moral' there. Happiness and Love are simply what they are.
Morality as a mind tool towards happiness? Just dump the word, methinks.
As intangible as could be.
Is Vladimir Putin happy? Is he thoughtful and introspective? It may be that his morals aren't even very effective or reasonable... and they obviously aren't very objective, being centered as they are on himself. The fact that he's not very good at morals tells us something about him; it doesn't really tell us anything about morality itself. You wouldn't argue "Putin thinks that 2x2=22 and therefore maths is pointless and subjective," would you?
Now you are sitting as some kind of 'morality judge'. There will be people who think that Putin's morals are of the highest.
I don't even think of the word moral........ Putin is an international criminal IN MY OPINION.
It seems your concerns are almost entirely semantic.
Back at you..... ;)

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #314

Post by boatsnguitars »

Wootah wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:05 pm viewtopic.php?p=1110735#p1110735
benchwarmer wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:41 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:14 pm As was said earlier and before now "I really hope you stay a Christian..." where a poster or debator has sworn that without Jesus in their life they would run amok on an orgy of rapine and plunder.
Yes, I've used that one myself in the past when a theist implies that atheists have no morals or reasons to 'behave'. People who need a god to act morally should definitely remain theists. I have no desire to deconvert anyone. Deconversion should be something that is arrived at naturally. Like when you discover "Santa's" gifts under your parent's bed before Christmas.
Welcome to a new year of debating. What is the basis for morality?

Options raised in this thread:

1) opinion - fails on people having different opinions

2) genes - fails - If an insect gets taken over by a parasite and then that insect is more helpful we would not say it was being more moral. If a gene is making someone good we would not say they are moral. If a robot could be programmed to be good it would not be making choices and not be moral.

3) cooperation - fails on the logic of a group not being right just because there are more of them.

4) God - So, for me, if morality exists it has to have an objective basis. If it is objective and because it applies to only free-willed creatures then it has to be an opinion of a free-will creature who can impose their will objectively such that we can know their opinion on what is moral. That's where I am heading with morality coming from God.
Help me understand.

How does the belief in God explain moral values? I imagine you are saying something like, "Without God, there can not - absolutely - be anything that we call "Moral or Immoral"."

Is this what you are claiming? That we can't call things what we want?

Because, as I see it, the "basis of morality" may be a few things that we don't understand, i.e., a gap in our knowledge. In fact, moral values may not exist objectively and absolutely - despite people saying they do.

We are, after all, slightly intelligent Apes. Do you really expect animals to understand complex, esoteric, theoretical and possibly non-existent things? (I imagine you might claim that we are made in God's Image, and special, etc., which would be begging your own questions, and would fly in the face of what we do know about Life: we evolved.)
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

Bubuche87
Student

Post #315

Post by Bubuche87 »

[Replying to Wootah in post #310]

I already answered, but you seem oblivious of my answer: all of them.

Take any: it's arbitrary.
God could have taken anything else and, according to you, it would still have been equally moral/correct/just.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #316

Post by Bust Nak »

Purple Knight wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:40 pm The state of nature remains. Then, each can do whatever they please to the other. If you don't want to agree with me no killing, then I can kill you just as you can kill me. I believe we both have to want to move forward from that for it to happen.

I know this seems harsh, but it's the way it would be if there were no society. And we know that sometimes, society can be tyrannical. I've mulled over, "When may we impose a law on someone who doesn't want it?" and the only consistent and fair answer I can come to is: Never.
That doesn't sound like much of a back up plan to me, what makes this a back up plan as opposed to "no plan, just do whatever?"
The only alternative is that some laws are "necessary" but there's no way to gauge that, and sift the right opinion about which laws those are, from the wrong ones. You could have a Darwinian approach and see which societies flourish and which ones fail, but over time they all fail, so that fails. And I don't think people are cogs anyway; I don't think the function of a person is to give up his happiness so society can work. I don't think that just because some oppressive laws work well is an excuse to have that oppression, because human beings are free moral agents that have the right to a voice in how they are treated. I don't think that voice can equal nothing, either. It can't equal, "Sorry everyone voted against you on all issues, live how we expect you to, just how the chips fell too bad so sad." If it equals something, it equals the inalienable right to say no.
You were just saying you can kill them for saying "no" to the rule no killing, doesn't sound like inalienable right to say no to me.
You can, it's just incorrect to tell someone that your morality is The Way if morality is subjective. It is incorrect about morality, which is equivalent to morally incorrect.
Why did you say incorrect here, instead of neither correct nor incorrect? Doesn't the very concept of "moral correctness" require an objective standard of morality?

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #317

Post by boatsnguitars »

Let's compare two moral concepts:

1. Gluttony: under atheism there is a reason gluttony is bad. It leads to self harm (heart disease, diabetes, etc). It also takes resources from others, potentially.
We can see how gluttony, under atheism would be bad.

2. Head covering: under theism, one is to cover their head because God likes it that way. There is no other reason.

I'm not sure why anyone would think morality is better just because some group of people believe in supernatural Beings
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

theophile
Guru

Post #318

Post by theophile »

Mithrae wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:48 am
theophile wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:24 pm We may have to agree to disagree on this, or go to the next level of what God is, and what it means to be spirit. i.e., I think the bible shows a God whose power changes across the narrative. God goes from powerless spirit in Genesis 1 to all-in-all and all-powerful at the end, when death itself is conquered (as Paul says somewhere). This means that at any point between God is somewhere on that trajectory, and may still be at the beginning for all we know, with no power committed to God's cause.
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth, the day and night, the sun and stars. It doesn't get much more powerful than that. Fixating on a dubious understanding of a single word in that story to come up with completely the opposite interpretation seems, shall we say, questionable at the best. One could surely say that the authors were simply hyperbolizing in their veneration of the seven-day week or were simply wrong in their traditions about how their world came to be, but pretending to glean from Genesis 1 the revelation that God was a "powerless spirit" seems little short of dishonest.
I get your point, but it's more than just one word. e.g., there's also the word tehom in verse 1:2 that the ruach elohim hovers over. Most don't acknowledge this, but she's a key part of creation and present from the beginning with God. It's not interpretive gymnastics as you later suggest but a pretty clear seed-womb / male-female setup from the get-go. And we all know who holds the power and does all the real work in such relationships, right? (To put it bluntly, all that God brings to this is the word / seed...)

And that's just the first two verses that start to poke holes in the traditional, patriarchal, 'potent-man' reading of this text and the bible more broadly, which is all I'm really arguing for, i.e., an opening for my view. I don't think creation is as clear-cut, 'act-of-divine-fiat' as you're making it out, as obvious as that may seem at first blush.
Mithrae wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:48 am
theophile wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:24 pm Everything has a time and place, even something like genocide. The removal of oppressive orders that would suppress life's various kinds is consistent with the affirmation of life, I think, and something I have no problem seeing the morality of, assuming the extremity of the conditions warrant it.

It seems like you're dipping your toes into three of the four most common/obvious responses to the bible's divine immorality while studiously avoiding the fourth:
- They're not really divine
- They're not really immoral
- They're not really choices, God was limited by X (ie, kind of divine and kind of immoral, but passing the buck on responsibility)
- God was indeed immoral, or at least scarcely any better than the bronze-age communities he was learning from

The first and most obvious I'd certainly agree with you on; it's likely that little or nothing from the bible was directly commanded or inspired by any kind of real deity! The third (while pretty common when apologists talk about the inevitability of an inherited sin nature or the like) is particularly... ah... creative in your approach, essentially outright denying the most obvious and prominent aspects of the bible's portrayal of God from Genesis 1 onwards, yet still pretending that you're talking about the biblical God :? But then you go even further into the absurd, like other apologists bending over backwards to say that black is white, that the most evil things in human history like genocide or slavery are somehow good at the right times. Why not just deny that those (like the other genocides) were done by God at all? I'm not even sure which genocides you think were "good" - the one which wiped out not only 'evil' humanity but virtually all other life as well?* The one which in which God specifically hardened a guy onto an evil course in order to "show his power" by targeting the innocent children?
Bear with me on this, but I think I treat the bible as a far more subtle and complex piece of literature than you. Does that mean I'm reading too much into it and taking it in absurd directions? Maybe. But I do think it needs to be read into. I think the obvious reading and what seems to be going on is misleading, and intentionally so. The book is full of ambiguous terms, wordplay, complex literary structures, parables, etc., all of which are meant to confuse. You might think that makes no sense, and that God or the writers should have been as clear as possible in what they said, but they weren't, and I see a didactic purpose behind it all. i.e., The bible tries to challenge our discernment, and it does so because even if we have a sure basis for morality there's still not always an easy answer to what's right and wrong. There's still going to be hard situations that require difficult calls, with no certainty on the path forward. So spoon-feeding us answers wouldn't exactly prepare us or give us the moral edification we need to handle such moments, you know?

To address your point above, that includes keeping us on our toes as to whether various characters -- God included -- are right or wrong, and showing characters we're meant to revere do bad things... It's all part of the process, and so we'd have to look at each one individually before we judge what's going on. But as to whether flooding the earth was the right thing to do, I do think the context provided makes it justified. As to the plagues God sets upon Egypt, I would say the same: chattel slavery by definition is oppressive to life, and I can see situations where extreme measures like the plagues could be called for.

(When it comes to God hardening pharaoh's heart, I think there is a lot of basic psychology at play in the bible that is helpful to relate. Like, what is the common reaction if you try to take something away from someone, as God does here? It's not hard to predict they'll pull back. That their heart will harden and they'll try to keep the item for themselves... So this isn't God magically hardening pharaoh's heart to setup an even more impressive display, but just God showing God knows how pharaoh would react...)
Mithrae wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:48 amMeanwhile the fourth approach is one which seems to have philosophical merit irrespective of any religion - how would any god start out with any understanding of morality as seen by mortal social creatures? - and thus seems the obvious answer if one takes the dubious step of assuming that anything in the bible (let alone its most heinous acts) is associated with a real deity at all. The bible itself pretty heavily suggests various instances of repentence, changing his mind and changing his moral priorities. I guess I'm just having a hard time understanding what kind of priorities or reasoning would lead to this approach; it seems to keep the worst problems of traditional apologetics, trying to defend the indefensible, while losing all of traditionalists' dogmatic confidence/supposed biblical authority, and adding whole new vistas of hermeneutic doublespeak and interpretative gymnastics on top!
I'm not against God making mistakes, changing God's mind, learning, or anything like that. That's essential. It's a fight every step of the way trying to figure out the right path. We need to challenge each other and wrestle with each other to discern it. That's why God chooses Jacob and calls him Israel. Because he wrestles with God. But it's always with one end in mind, which is the important thing (again, the furtherance of life).

Also, I would take your point on God's moral development and say something similar about God's power. How could any god start out with such power you think the bible describes? It makes no sense. So either the bible makes no sense, if such an idea is critical to its narrative, or something else is going on.. It's much simpler and realistic to assume a non-powerful spirit, right? Especially if the power can be shown to come from somewhere else? (See tehom referenced above...)
Mithrae wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:48 am * Edit: I'm going to try and steelman this one by suggesting that (since the Flood never actually happened) one could interpret it as an allegory for any kind of natural disaster, and of particular interest those such as the five natural mass extinctions which preceded humanity. By wiping out or severely curtailing the established species dominating various ecological niches, these mass extinctions were often followed by a renewed flourishing of biodiversity. Most famously, if an asteroid hadn't wiped out the dinosaurs 65 million years ago, most mammal species and in particular humanity almost certainly would have never had the opportunity to evolve. Of course that interpretation would run headlong into your prior characterization of God as more or less impotent; mass extinctions and natural disasters can't be viewed as having any positive or negative moral value unless actively caused or allowed. And it's still difficult to see how it could be considered good for any being to actively cause such devastation - even against animals, let alone intelligent people - regardless of what kind of silver linings might be proposed in retrospect.
I think the writers of the flood meant to show intention and end behind God's action; it wasn't an allegory for natural disaster. To get it I think you have to really get into the extremity of the situation, and just how evil and far gone things were according to the story. How things were so bad that even the children and animals had become corrupted. Perhaps even future generations, as impossible as that sounds... We can understand such a corrupting effect, can't we? We see real examples of it all the time, like children killing children and other unbelievable things like that...

So what I take the story to be asking, is if the world really was that far gone, if such an extremity was possible, then wouldn't flooding the earth be the right thing for life? Your real-world examples suggest the answer is yes.

(I find it's both helpful and harmful to think of God as a Thanos-type, which is why I mentioned Yahweh before. The basic concept itself is not ridiculous, i.e., some powerful being capable of amazing things, and it's helpful because this is what the flood story shows, i.e., one like Thanos showing up at earth, looking down upon it, and thinking about what to do. It's harmful thinking about God this way because God isn't a singular being like Thanos. God is just a spirit in God's original, fundamental form...)

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #319

Post by TRANSPONDER »

It all sounds a bit simple and obvious to me. Believers want there to be a god doing morality and so apologetics are used to try to make the case. Sorry, but that's basically it.

Morality is something humans have had to devise to try to help us operate together, and is a work in progress. Crediting this to a god has obvious problems and so all kinds of excuses have to be produced to either get God off the hook or blame it on mankind. It's always been known but up to a couple of hundred years ago, anyone saying so got cancelled.

It's been used as a gap for God, too as nobody know where morality came from, or pretended they didn't, but like the other gaps for god, we have half an understanding and even if we didn't that would only make God a valid hypothesis if you already believed it was the go - to hypothesis. Bottom line, the debate is as dead and gone as the Creation debate, but Believers keep it going.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #320

Post by oldbadger »

boatsnguitars wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:33 pm Let's compare two moral concepts:
Neither of these examples has anything to do with 'moral concepts'/
1. Gluttony: under atheism there is a reason gluttony is bad. It leads to self harm (heart disease, diabetes, etc). It also takes resources from others, potentially.
We can see how gluttony, under atheism would be bad.
Health concept, Community concept.
2. Head covering: under theism, one is to cover their head because God likes it that way. There is no other reason.
Hang on.......... does your community/country have laws about breast covering? If so, why?
Head covering falls in to a similar group, I guess, but I don't ever go out with a head covering, not that my natural beauty could turn any head or lead to any desires........... sadly :(
I'm not sure why anyone would think morality is better just because some group of people believe in supernatural Beings
The whole concept of 'morality' is an impost, imo.