Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Is "Faith in God" in all religions?

Post #1

Post by Shem Yoshi »

A quote from another thread
Faith, on the other hand, is totally unreliable in that it can lead one to believe in what is false just as readily as what is true. Think of all those who have total faith in gods other than the one you have faith in.
Many people come with arguments against faith saying that faith would lead us to believe in ANY god. And though the concept may be defined as to trust in something, to believe in something, I am utterly unconvinced that Faith in gods apart from Christianity is a prevalent concept.

That would make it a straw-man to say faith is cheap because all religions say to have faith in their god... We dont know that any religions say that apart from Abrahamic sources.

The the word "faith" is rooted in the original Hebrew...

"The Hebrew word emunah (אמונה, pronounced “eh-moo-nah”) is understood in English to mean “faith” or “belief”."
source

It's origins is biblical... It's origin is founded in faith in the God of Israel....

I dont believe any of the primary sources of Greco-Roman myths talked of having faith in their gods (like Homer) even in different words. I dont think any of the primary sources of the Egyptian Gods suggested to have faith in their gods...

Surely "salvation through grace by faith" is solely Christianity. There is no where else that teaches that...

I am not sure that any other religions ask for "faith" in their gods...

Subject for debate
Is "faith" in any other religion apart from Christianity?

Is "Faith" cheap because all gods ask for faith?
“Them that die'll be the lucky ones.”

brunumb
Savant

Re: Is "Faith in God" in all religions?

Post #11

Post by brunumb »

Shem Yoshi wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:23 pm I am not convinced they were acting in faith... And i know that 'salvation by faith through grace' is not seen anywhere else but in Christianity, or places that take it from Christianity. It is a Christian concept. That there is nothing apart from faith that saves... no actions, nothing... there is no where else that teaches that... That is Faith in God... That is what Faith in God is. No where teaches that. Faith is a Christian concept.
Salvation is an irrelevant distraction. It may pertain to Christianity only, but that does not mean that faith is uniquely Christian.

faith
noun: faith

1. complete trust or confidence in someone or something.
2. strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #12

Post by Shem Yoshi »

brunumb wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:59 pm
Shem Yoshi wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:23 pm I am not convinced they were acting in faith... And i know that 'salvation by faith through grace' is not seen anywhere else but in Christianity, or places that take it from Christianity. It is a Christian concept. That there is nothing apart from faith that saves... no actions, nothing... there is no where else that teaches that... That is Faith in God... That is what Faith in God is. No where teaches that. Faith is a Christian concept.
Salvation is an irrelevant distraction. It may pertain to Christianity only, but that does not mean that faith is uniquely Christian.

faith

2. strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof.
I have no doubt others have borrowed the idea of Faith to mean other things that what it is meant to be used for. However it's origin is Abrahamic and solidified in Christ. It is Faith in the Christian God, and no other places have matched its original definition. The definition of Faith in God is not found anywhere else... No other religion is in likeness of the Christian faith.

"Let's define “faith.” The Hebrew word emunah (אמונה, pronounced “eh-moo-nah”) is understood in English to mean “faith” or “belief”. But it is often also translated as “faithfulness.” And yet, it describes much more than just believing a statement about God. It reveals a life of full reliance upon Him."
https://firmisrael.org/learn/meaning-of ... upon%20Him.

POI
Prodigy

Post #13

Post by POI »

Shem Yoshi wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:43 am You are amusing this idea that all things that are not proven require faith in them, however you just pick and choose what is proven and what isnt... and you pick an concepts of god arent proven, however skepticism tells us nothing is proven...
Your statement is flawed. Here's a quick test. Will yourself to believe your skin is made of chocolate pudding. You cannot pick/choose to be convinced. You either are or you are not. I guess you could apply faith anyways, but you would have to do so --- in spite of being convinced otherwise.

Like many of your other responses, you like to muddy the waters. You would need to elaborate what you mean by 'skepticism'. In this case, I'm 99.99999% sure my skin is not made of chocolate pudding. I guess this makes me a "skeptic" :)
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #14

Post by The Barbarian »

For a Christian, God is always calling out to all men that they might find Him. Respect for religions must be based in the fact that these religions are inspired by that call, however far those responses might be from our own.

"In our time, when day by day mankind is being drawn closer together, and the ties between different peoples are becoming stronger, the Church examines more closely her relationship to non-Christian religions. In her task of promoting unity and love among men, indeed among nations, she considers above all in this declaration what men have in common and what draws them to fellowship...Men expect from the various religions answers to the unsolved riddles of the human condition, which today, even as in former times, deeply stir the hearts of men: What is man? What is the meaning, the aim of our life? What is moral good, what is sin? Whence suffering and what purpose does it serve? Which is the road to true happiness? What are death, judgment and retribution after death? What, finally, is that ultimate inexpressible mystery which encompasses our existence: whence do we come, and where are we going?

2. From ancient times down to the present, there is found among various peoples a certain perception of that hidden power which hovers over the course of things and over the events of human history; at times some indeed have come to the recognition of a Supreme Being, or even of a Father. This perception and recognition penetrates their lives with a profound religious sense.

Religions, however, that are bound up with an advanced culture have struggled to answer the same questions by means of more refined concepts and a more developed language. Thus in Hinduism, men contemplate the divine mystery and express it through an inexhaustible abundance of myths and through searching philosophical inquiry. They seek freedom from the anguish of our human condition either through ascetical practices or profound meditation or a flight to God with love and trust. Again, Buddhism, in its various forms, realizes the radical insufficiency of this changeable world; it teaches a way by which men, in a devout and confident spirit, may be able either to acquire the state of perfect liberation, or attain, by their own efforts or through higher help, supreme illumination. Likewise, other religions found everywhere try to counter the restlessness of the human heart, each in its own manner, by proposing "ways," comprising teachings, rules of life, and sacred rites. The Catholic Church rejects nothing that is true and holy in these religions. She regards with sincere reverence those ways of conduct and of life, those precepts and teachings which, though differing in many aspects from the ones she holds and sets forth, nonetheless often reflect a ray of that Truth which enlightens all men. Indeed, she proclaims, and ever must proclaim Christ "the way, the truth, and the life" (John 14:6), in whom men may find the fullness of religious life, in whom God has reconciled all things to Himself.(4)... (my emphasis)

The Church regards with esteem also the Moslems. They adore the one God, living and subsisting in Himself; merciful and all- powerful, the Creator of heaven and earth,(5) who has spoken to men; they take pains to submit wholeheartedly to even His inscrutable decrees, just as Abraham, with whom the faith of Islam takes pleasure in linking itself, submitted to God. Though they do not acknowledge Jesus as God, they revere Him as a prophet. They also honor Mary, His virgin Mother; at times they even call on her with devotion. In addition, they await the day of judgment when God will render their deserts to all those who have been raised up from the dead. Finally, they value the moral life and worship God especially through prayer, almsgiving and fasting...

The Church, therefore, exhorts her sons, that through dialogue and collaboration with the followers of other religions, carried out with prudence and love and in witness to the Christian faith and life, they recognize, preserve and promote the good things, spiritual and moral, as well as the socio-cultural values found among these men.... As the sacred synod searches into the mystery of the Church, it remembers the bond that spiritually ties the people of the New Covenant to Abraham's stock.

Thus the Church of Christ acknowledges that, according to God's saving design, the beginnings of her faith and her election are found already among the Patriarchs, Moses and the prophets. She professes that all who believe in Christ-Abraham's sons according to faith (6)-are included in the same Patriarch's call, and likewise that the salvation of the Church is mysteriously foreshadowed by the chosen people's exodus from the land of bondage. The Church, therefore, cannot forget that she received the revelation of the Old Testament through the people with whom God in His inexpressible mercy concluded the Ancient Covenant. Nor can she forget that she draws sustenance from the root of that well-cultivated olive tree onto which have been grafted the wild shoots, the Gentiles.(7) Indeed, the Church believes that by His cross Christ, Our Peace, reconciled Jews and Gentiles. making both one in Himself."
DECLARATION ON
THE RELATION OF THE CHURCH TO NON-CHRISTIAN RELIGIONS
NOSTRA AETATE
PROCLAIMED BY HIS HOLINESS
POPE PAUL VI
ON OCTOBER 28, 1965

POI
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by POI »

Shem Yoshi wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:24 pm

faith

I have no doubt others have borrowed the idea of Faith to mean other things that what it is meant to be used for. However it's origin is Abrahamic and solidified in Christ. It is Faith in the Christian God, and no other places have matched its original definition. The definition of Faith in God is not found anywhere else... No other religion is in likeness of the Christian faith.

"Let's define “faith.” The Hebrew word emunah (אמונה, pronounced “eh-moo-nah”) is understood in English to mean “faith” or “belief”. But it is often also translated as “faithfulness.” And yet, it describes much more than just believing a statement about God. It reveals a life of full reliance upon Him."
Brunumb's provided bolded definition still looks to apply, all-the-same. It's continued conviction, despite having a lack in proof.

"He rewards the faith of those who passionately seek Him." Heb. 11:6

Except that I passionately sought after Him for decades, to no avail.... Thus, as the given definition applies, I would need to still continue seeking God, even after 30+ years of failure. Hence, my conviction should STILL remain, in spite of mounting demonstration/proof to the contrary. Even though God also wants a relationship with the ones who seek him?.?.?.?.? :approve: So, what's my reward for passionately seeking him? 30+ years of failure, leading to doubt?

So yea, as I told you, in another thread, it's why apologists can argue unfalsifiably. An apologist can simply tell me God does not give me proof (in communication) because it would ruin my faith. ....Those clever ancients, for creating such a failsafe claim.
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #16

Post by TRANSPONDER »

faith

You are still doing the apples and oranges thing. Though the form of the religion and the expectations may differ it is still Faith in a god (or gods) and is still the same thing - godfaith.

brunumb
Savant

Post #17

Post by brunumb »

Shem Yoshi wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:23 pm And i know that 'salvation by faith through grace' is not seen anywhere else but in Christianity, or places that take it from Christianity. It is a Christian concept.
Salvation may be a Christian concept that separates it from other religions, but it does not alter the meaning of faith. And, as far as salvation is concerned, Christianity invented the 'disease' and not surprisingly invented that 'cure' as well. Other religions don't need the concept of salvation, just faith in their god(s).
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #18

Post by Shem Yoshi »

POI wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:01 am
Shem Yoshi wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:43 am You are amusing this idea that all things that are not proven require faith in them, however you just pick and choose what is proven and what isnt... and you pick an concepts of god arent proven, however skepticism tells us nothing is proven...
Your statement is flawed. Here's a quick test. Will yourself to believe your skin is made of chocolate pudding. You cannot pick/choose to be convinced. You either are or you are not. I guess you could apply faith anyways, but you would have to do so --- in spite of being convinced otherwise.

Like many of your other responses, you like to muddy the waters. You would need to elaborate what you mean by 'skepticism'. In this case, I'm 99.99999% sure my skin is not made of chocolate pudding. I guess this makes me a "skeptic" :)
misusing and misunderstanding Faith to apply to foolish things, is not what faith is. The truth of the matter is, you dont find faith in any of these things, because it doesnt exist in any of these things...

brunumb
Savant

Post #19

Post by brunumb »

Shem Yoshi wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:35 am misusing and misunderstanding Faith to apply to foolish things, is not what faith is. The truth of the matter is, you dont find faith in any of these things, because it doesnt exist in any of these things...
Of course it does, despite your attempts to handcuff faith to Christianity. Sure, you have faith, but that just means that you bought the whole shebang merely on the say-so of an ancient collection of stories by largely anonymous human beings.

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #20

Post by Shem Yoshi »

POI wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:35 am

faith

Brunumb's provided bolded definition still looks to apply, all-the-same. It's continued conviction, despite having a lack in proof.

"He rewards the faith of those who passionately seek Him." Heb. 11:6

Except that I passionately sought after Him for decades, to no avail.... Thus, as the given definition applies, I would need to still continue seeking God, even after 30+ years of failure. Hence, my conviction should STILL remain, in spite of mounting demonstration/proof to the contrary. Even though God also wants a relationship with the ones who seek him?.?.?.?.? :approve: So, what's my reward for passionately seeking him? 30+ years of failure, leading to doubt?

So yea, as I told you, in another thread, it's why apologists can argue unfalsifiably. An apologist can simply tell me God does not give me proof (in communication) because it would ruin my faith. ....Those clever ancients, for creating such a failsafe claim.
I argued for the impossibility for you to understand an all knowing God by your limited understanding. You could never know what God will do. Therefor to loose belief, by your knowledge, seems unreasonable...