The name YHWH or Jehovah belongs in the New Testament

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Ross
Scholar

The name YHWH or Jehovah belongs in the New Testament

Post #1

Post by Ross »

The Jehovah's Witnesses have their own translation of the Bible, The New World translation, which has been used in their proselytising and study almost exclusively since it was produced in the 1950's.
The Christian Greek Scriptures (NT) were translated first in secrecy by a translation committee appointed by their then President Nathan Homer Knorr and Vice President and chief theologian Frederick William Franz, without the knowledge of their Governing Body around 1950. The NT completed work was presented one morning to the remainder of the organizational staff at Bethel Headquarters in New York.
The name 'Jehovah' was inserted into the Christian Greek Scriptures by the committee 237 times, even though there is not a single extant Greek manuscript in existence containing 'Jehovah' or the Hebrew YHWH. Is there good and just reason to put it there, or is this a case of inserting spurious text?

Ross
Scholar

Re: The name YHWH or Jehovah belongs in the New Testament

Post #21

Post by Ross »

[ ELOI wrote ]

My posts do not depend on yours as long as I talk about the topic on your thread. I won't post just for you. Sorry if that bothers you, but we are giving information to the world, whoever read this thread, so you must be ready for what you'll say or answer to defend your point of view or reject others'. The world is watching ... and God and Jesus too. ;)
When proselytising in their 'field work' (if that still takes place) I have observed the Jehovah's Witness demand control of the conversation, bombarding the individual with continuous pre-prepared dialogue, sentence after sentence and for many minutes, not allowing any response or proper conversation. If this is how you wish to conduct yourself, then that is up to you, and for others to reach their conclusions about.

I covered virtually every point you raised individually in your long introduction, and you failed to stay on subject. That is not healthy or honest debate.

Not one single Greek NT manuscript contains 'Jehovah' or YHWH. So any insertion of the same into a NT Bible is unfaithful translation and dishonest.

Rev 22:18
"I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll."

Ross
Scholar

Post #22

Post by Ross »

Eloi wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:44 pm ask yourself why Jesus is used in the NT you "approve" if Jesus is not the original name of the Son of God.
You may answer the question yourself after that.
The name Jesus is fine. So is Jehovah if that is how you wish to pronounce the tetragrammaton. I personally would use Yah'wey. It doesn't matter, other than the fact that Jehovah's Witnesses have adopted the name 'Jehovah' and specifically promoted in their literature and dialogue that this is limited to the Father in the NT.

There is no word or name 'Jehovah' or 'YHWH' presented in the NT Bible unless you spuriously insert it. This is tantamount to injecting 1 John 5:7 all over the entire Greek scriptures. It is an insertion of pre-conceived doctrine.

By accepting your New World Translation of the Bible, you are placing your leaders above Gods Word. You did, did you not, say the translators were inspired by God?

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #23

Post by Eloi »

@Ross , we don't need your permission to use the name of God. We don't need your approval to know that what we do pleases Jehovah. We don't mind your judgementalism ... you are not our judge.

Thanks for your interest in us. To meet us better go to a Kingdom Hall and take a Bible study with a Jehovah's Witness in the time you choose.

This topic is supposed to be about the name of God in the NT. Why don't you answer my question? Do you think Jesus mentioned the name of Jehovah on his responses to Satan's temptations?

Matt. 4:4 But he answered: “It is written: ‘Man must live, not on bread alone, but on every word that comes from Jehovah’s mouth.’” (Deut. 8:3)
(...) 7 Jesus said to him: “Again it is written: ‘You must not put Jehovah your God to the test.’” (Deut. 6:16)
(...) 10 Then Jesus said to him: “Go away, Satan! For it is written: ‘It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.’” (Deut. 10:20).

Ross
Scholar

Post #24

Post by Ross »

Eloi wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:56 am Ross , we don't need your permission to use the name of God. We don't need your approval to know that what we do pleases Jehovah. We don't mind your judgementalism ... you are not our judge.
No problem Eloi. I hope neither you nor the other members of your faith have taken my comments as a personal attack. This is a Bible debate forum. And as for what we believe and hold true; it is up to all of us to decide personally what is right and wrong, and what holds up to scrutiny. Respectful scrutiny is the purpose of forums such as this.

Ross
Scholar

Post #25

Post by Ross »

Eloi wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:56 am Thanks for your interest in us. To meet us better go to a Kingdom Hall and take a Bible study with a Jehovah's Witness in the time you choose.
I have met Witnesses before, been to a Kingdom Hall and taken a Bible study with a Jehovah's Witness.

Ross
Scholar

Post #26

Post by Ross »

Eloi wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:56 am Why don't you answer my question? Do you think Jesus mentioned the name of Jehovah on his responses to Satan's temptations?
Matt. 4:4 But he answered: “It is written: ‘Man must live, not on bread alone, but on every word that comes from Jehovah’s mouth.’” (Deut. 8:3)
(...) 7 Jesus said to him: “Again it is written: ‘You must not put Jehovah your God to the test.’” (Deut. 6:16)
(...) 10 Then Jesus said to him: “Go away, Satan! For it is written: ‘It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.’” (Deut. 10:20).
I must look to what I believe to be the true or the closest version of 'Bible' possible, the extant NT manuscripts; and as the text is all written in koine' Greek, I must conclude that the conversation was in koine' Greek, the language of the day. There is no 'Jehovah' or Hebrew YHWH in any NT manuscript of this passage.

If it was in any other language, there certainly is no reason for any translator to render the text in anything other than what the manuscripts reveal.

What is your particular point about this passage please?

I note that you have avoided almost everything I have replied to you on this thread. Remember, as you said to me, the world is watching.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #27

Post by Eloi »

Ross wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:38 pm
Eloi wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:56 am Why don't you answer my question? Do you think Jesus mentioned the name of Jehovah on his responses to Satan's temptations?
I must look to what I believe to be the true or the closest version of 'Bible' possible, the extant NT manuscripts; and as the text is all written in koine' Greek, I must conclude that the conversation was in koine' Greek, the language of the day. There is no 'Jehovah' or Hebrew YHWH in any NT manuscript of this passage.

If it was in any other language, there certainly is no reason for any translator to render the text in anything other than what the manuscripts reveal.

What is your particular point about this passage please?

I note that you have avoided almost everything I have replied to you on this thread. Remember, as you said to me, the world is watching.
I didn't ask you what the manuscripts we got say, because I know that. Since we do not have the autograph of the original written documents ... I asked you:

What do you think? Did Jesus mention the name of Jehovah on his responses to Satan's temptations?

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #28

Post by Difflugia »

Eloi wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:17 pmWhat do you think? Did Jesus mention the name of Jehovah on his responses to Satan's temptations?
If the Bible is authoritative and the conversations as recorded reflect historical reality, then no, because Jesus isn't recorded as mentioning the name of Jehovah.

If the Bible's not authoritative and doesn't necessarily reflect historical reality, then no for at least two reasons: Satan doesn't exist, so the conversation didn't happen and Jesus, if he existed, was a Jewish man living during an era when saying the name of Yahweh was considered to put one in danger of blasphemy.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #29

Post by Eloi »

The NT is a retelling of actual events. It is authoritative on doctrinal matters, and it is authoritative on the historical events it narrates. Manuscripts we got today are just copies of copies of what was originally recorded and originally written by the human writers.

In the NT we find Jesus reading Is. 61:1,2 from a Hebrew manuscript of Isaiah in a Jewish synagogue:

Luke 4:16 He then went to Nazʹa·reth, where he had been brought up, and according to his custom on the Sabbath day, he entered the synagogue and stood up to read. 17 So the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him, and he opened the scroll and found the place where it was written:
18 Jehovah’s spirit is upon me, because he anointed me to declare good news to the poor. He sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and a recovery of sight to the blind, to send the crushed ones away free, 19 to preach Jehovah’s acceptable year.”
20 With that he rolled up the scroll, handed it back to the attendant, and sat down; and the eyes of all in the synagogue were intently fixed on him. 21 Then he began to say to them: “Today this scripture that you just heard is fulfilled.”

Did Jesus mention the name of Jehovah when read this passage of Isaiah, or not?

Ross
Scholar

Post #30

Post by Ross »

Eloi wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:17 pm
I didn't ask you what the manuscripts we got say, because I know that. Since we do not have the autograph of the original written documents ... I asked you:

What do you think? Did Jesus mention the name of Jehovah on his responses to Satan's temptations?
Not according to God's written Word Sir. So NO